2015 - 2020 F-150

Brand new truck rusted steel

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 12:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand new truck rusted steel

Who has been under their 2015 F150? I got mine yesterday, and as a gear head pulled it in the garage and took a look at the lay out. To my dismay the output flange on both front and rear diffs have lots of surface rust, as well as the drive lines, and front CV axle flanges. They are bare steel! I have not looked at where it was assembled, but it was NEW 18 miles, and I live in the pacific NW, so rigs do not rust here. As much as this truck cost, I'm not to thrilled about this. Id like to hear from others before I start raising hell with the dealer.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:26 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bet if you crawl under every new truck on any dealers lot, you'll see the same thing. I doubt it's just your truck..

Mitch

Old 12-01-2015, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by MitchF150
Bet if you crawl under every new truck on any dealers lot, you'll see the same thing. I doubt it's just your truck..

Mitch
Never seen anything like it, I work on all my own cars new and old. I forsee issues servicing the axles and drive lines down the road. I will be investigating more as this truck was a nice chunk of change. If anyone else has observed this please let me know.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're going to find that most suspension parts on vehicles from every manufacturer have virtually no finish on them and therefor little or no corrosion resistance. And that's by design. Why? Because parts located underneath the vehicle take an absolute beating from junk kicked up by the tires. Experience has proven that it's far more cost effective to engineer these parts to last even when corroded than to try to finish them so they will not corrode. In summary, it's not a manufacturing defect and generally speaking, it won't be a problem for the lifetime of the truck in most areas of the country. For those of us in the rust belt, well, it sucks to be us.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
This is normal.

In fact, I would be more concerned with the paint from the industrial fallout (aka rail dust) that occurs when railroad convoys haul trucks.

I'd claybar that thing at once.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:13 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by nickbrumaghim
... If anyone else has observed this please let me know.
I got my 99 like that.
The drive shaft and springs and such must sit out in the elements for some time. It was only three weeks between creation of the VIN and when I took delivery so, the rust occurred before assembly.

Seventeen years later and I would only like to replace the rear differential cover so, no worries.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:26 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would not worry. Maybe Ford will eventually make those parts Aluminum too at some point? LOL

Old 12-06-2015, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
I would not worry. Maybe Ford will eventually make those parts Aluminum too at some point? LOL
Hahaha perhaps!

Quick Reply: Brand new truck rusted steel