2015 - 2020 F-150

2.7 Orange Wrench Light - Check Manual???

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 03:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2.7 Orange Wrench Light - Check Manual???

Greetings all. I have a '15 2.7 eco XLT crew cab 4x4 w/5500 miles. Only mods are a 2" front leveling kit and a rear add-a-leaf (installed about 2 weeks ago). Last night immediately after starting it, the dash display showed an orange wrench light and said to check manual. The manual says its a fault in the 4wd system, but gives no further details. The PCM is not throwing any codes. Anybody have any idea what may be going on here? Thanks, in advance.

Last edited by dlsipe1; 11-26-2015 at 03:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 11-26-2015, 11:54 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Take it to the dealer. That's what a warranty is for.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup. There's a problem with the 4x4 system that needs to be checked out.

Seriously, if it's still under warranty and this is the first time you've had the issue, the dealership is the way to go. They have all of the diagnostic equipment and training and they'll do it for free. As good as these trucks are they were built on an assembly line by humans and errors happen.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The codes in the PCM have different levels. The first level is OBDII generic codes that are the same for all vehicles. The second level is manufacturer specific and can normally be accessed through software that is available at the dealership or for significant cost. Most of the generic scanners can not access these. Take it to the dealer and use the warranty.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I thought the wrench indicator meant something with the electronic throttle body control.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:27 AM
I concur. Let the dealer handle this one.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any chance a vacuum line got violated that activates the front diff engagement? Could be a sensor monitoring the vacuum signal and it notices something isn't right.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:49 AM
Thanks guys, I have an appt with the dealer on Wednesday. Just wondered if anyone had had this happen. Guess I drew the short straw. LOL WoodsTruck, I don't think any vacuum lines were affected. The leveling kit was on for about 3 weeks before this issue showed up. Still runs fine...only issue is the auto-stop feature isn't available. I usually disengage it anyway. I'll keep everyone posted in case anyone else runs into this issue.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:57 PM
UPDATE: Dealer says it is EEC code 2796 Faulty Auxiliary Transmission Fluid Pump. I was told by the service adviser that it's part of the Auto Stop/Start function (which now displays as "unavailable") Part is on galactic back-order and I was told it was OK to drive until the new part is available, evidently from their supplier on Jupiter.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-02-2015, 03:28 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Originally Posted by dlsipe1
UPDATE: Dealer says it is EEC code 2796 Faulty Auxiliary Transmission Fluid Pump. I was told by the service adviser that it's part of the Auto Stop/Start function (which now displays as "unavailable") Part is on galactic back-order and I was told it was OK to drive until the new part is available, evidently from their supplier on Jupiter.
Thanks for the update, dlsipe1! Let's see if I can help get the part a bit closer to Earth's orbit. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll get to work.

Crystal

Old 02-11-2016, 02:55 AM
Originally Posted by dlsipe1
We're you able to get this issue resolved? I have a 2015 2.7 f150 screw and wrench light came on. Dealer gave me same code and I'm currently waiting for a new transmission fluid pump to arrive. No word on the parts arrival. Been three weeks. Trucks was bought new and has less than 2000 kms. Last week I found water in my drivers side tail lamp up to the first bulb.
Offered to take salesmans fighting fish for a scenic tour inside my tail light aquarium. Anyway. Love the truck. But not enjoying the frequent visits to the shop.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:23 PM
Ford Customer Service
Originally Posted by Steelhead10
We're you able to get this issue resolved? I have a 2015 2.7 f150 screw and wrench light came on. Dealer gave me same code and I'm currently waiting for a new transmission fluid pump to arrive. No word on the parts arrival. Been three weeks. Trucks was bought new and has less than 2000 kms. Last week I found water in my drivers side tail lamp up to the first bulb.
Offered to take salesmans fighting fish for a scenic tour inside my tail light aquarium. Anyway. Love the truck. But not enjoying the frequent visits to the shop.
Hi Steelhead10,

Feel free to message me your VIN, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer info. I'll check out some options.

Meagan

Old 03-04-2016, 09:32 PM
I've got a new 15 Lariat 4x4 and the Orange Wrench came on this week with only 600 miles on it. They called me today and said it is actually something with an airbag sensor. They are checking them and will call me next week with an update.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:42 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo12
I've got a new 15 Lariat 4x4 and the Orange Wrench came on this week with only 600 miles on it. They called me today and said it is actually something with an airbag sensor. They are checking them and will call me next week with an update.
Welcome to the forum, JohnnyBravo12. It sounds like your dealer is on top of things, but if you need any help from my neck of the woods, feel free to reach out via PM. When writing, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Old 03-20-2016, 11:49 PM
Update: After waiting for the Aux. Trans fluid pump forever and a day, the dealer replaced it and the light came back on. Dealer then replaced the ECU and all has been good since.

Quick Reply: 2.7 Orange Wrench Light - Check Manual???