2015 - 2020 F-150

To boost or not to boost (5.0)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To boost or not to boost (5.0)

Well as many before me, I'm in the market for a new truck, and have not decided which power plant. The two trucks in the running are mostly identical 2015 4X4 XLT, Super Crew, 6.5' box, 3.55 gears, E-locker. The 5.0 is equipped with tow package, while the E.B. has max tow package. The trucks are virtually the same price being mid 37's, with current promotions, and a bit of haggling.

Hands down the feel of the E.B. has my vote. That said I'm not sure its most practical. This is first and foremost for work. I'm outside sales in the industrial manufacturing sector. I deliver 55 gallon drums to my end users, so I load my truck frequently, and pull a trailer perhaps once a month when hit with a big order. In addition I'm not one to go easy on the skinny pedal. For this reason I feel I may increase my companies monthly fuel cost. In researching it seems the E.B. gets real thirsty when asked to work at all.

My current 2004 4X4 5.4l, Super cab, 6.5' box, with 3.73's sits at 265K, and still returns between 14 and 16mpg doing all of the previously mentioned.
I'd hate to buy a platform over a decade newer, and not have it be better on every front including fuel economy.

After driving the 5.0, it was what I expected. Plenty of power for the task at hand, and as an auto enthusiast the V8 rumble is a bonus. That said nothing was exciting about it, but I'm trying to remain practical, and logical in my purchase. I'm diligent about maintenance, but it would seem the 5.0 would be a little less intensive. The 5.0 will serve my tow, and haul needs no problem, but having more capacity via the E.B. would be nice. The bottom line is I feel the 5.0 is the logical choice, while I WANT the E.B! I plan to keep this truck for another decade, and want to see upwards of 300K miles.

I have read many similar threads of those stuck on the fence, and I too am having great difficulty picking the best platform!

Old 11-22-2015, 11:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
From what I've heard, the 5.0 will give you better mileage under heavy load than the EB will, and if the 5.4 does what you need than the 5.0 will be more than adequate, they have similar powerbands. You could always throw a tune at the 5.0 to get more power/better mileage, and if you still want more throw on a supercharger down the road.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:18 PM
I have had 3 EB and I wouldn't be afraid of it at all. They pull great. They don't sound as cool as the 5.0, but they perform very well.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with the 5.0 for three reasons.

#1 Bad experience with turbos in the past. I know they are better now, but I still don't trust them for longevity. I also want to keep my truck for a long time, and I feel the NA V8 will last longer. I just don't trust a small boosted engine in a truck a big as the F150 Crew. I may be wrong, but I suspect you will replace the turbos before 300K miles. That won't be cheap.

#2 Bad experience with direct injection ticking on my Lexus LS460L. Drove me nuts. Enough for me to trade it after less than a year and go back to another super-smooth LS430 like I had previously.

#3 Liked the way the V8 drove and sounded way better. The boost of the turbos is cool, but not what want in a pickup truck.

The only thing that really intrigued me about the boosted engines was fuel savings. If know there are a lot of claims about crazy mileage for the boosted engines, but the people I know that own them personally say it is BS. I can baby my 5.0 to show very good mileage on the average mpg screen over a period of a trip, but I don't believe it. None of the tests for the 3.5 or 2.7 can produce the same high numbers claimed when they look at mileage over the lifetime or several thousands miles. Most come down to very close to the 16 I'm getting I'm getting with my 5.0. (95% city driving)

Just my opinion on why I went with the 5.0. No regrets. Good luck with your purchase.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:48 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Pulled several heavy trailers. Get between 10.5 and 11 when towing at max weight

Average daily driving is around 18.5 with a relatively conservative driving style. No racing out of stop lights, extended coasting down to stops.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:52 PM
Im still absolutely unsure! I hope I can draw an absolute conclusion soon!

Old 11-23-2015, 07:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I'm on my second 5.0 and love the little engine. Overall average for 26,000 miles on this 2014 is 19.2, can get 21-22 on the highway running 70-75. All mileage is maintained on a spreadsheet. Screw, 2x4, with 3.55 rear.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:02 AM
I had pretty much the same truck you have now... '04 F150 5.4 V8. I bought a programmer with a custom performance tune to make it more fun to drive. I ended up buying a '15 F150 3.5 EB in May, and absolutely love it.

The 2015 3.5 EB you're looking at with the 6.5' box and 3.55 in the rear has a towing capacity of 11,600 #'s and the 5.0 has a towing capacity of 9,100 #'s.

The 2015 3.5 EB has 420 lb.-ft @ 2500 rpms, and the 5.0 has 387 lb.-ft @ 3850 rpms.

The 2015 3.5 EB has a payload capacity of 2,060 #'s, and the 5.0 has a payload capacity of 2,100 #'s.

Here's where those numbers come from:
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/spec...ions/view-all/

I think the low end torque is the most logical feature to look at. If you're towing anything, wouldn't you want more torque to pull hills or pass when you need it?

If you're concerned about the turbo's, check out the torture tests:

Personally, I was tired of people telling me I should buy something "practical". I drive my truck nearly every day, and put about 20k on it annually. I would rather have one that's more fun to drive. The 2015 3.5 EB is definitely more fun to drive, has a higher towing capacity, and more importantly, has more low end torque.

A couple recommendations... either way, before you buy it, make sure you test it out at highway speeds so you don't get one that vibrates or has road noise. The first one I test drove vibrated at highway speeds, but there was no vibration at all in the second one (the one I bought). Lots of people seem to be having issues with the sunroof's leaking or vibrating too.

Last edited by TheDutchman; 11-24-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by TheDutchman
I had pretty much the same truck you have now... '04 F150 5.4 V8. I bought a programmer with a custom performance tune to make it more fun to drive. I ended up buying a '15 F150 3.5 EB in May, and absolutely love it.

The 2015 3.5 EB you're looking at with the 6.5' box and 3.55 in the rear has a towing capacity of 11,600 #'s and the 5.0 has a towing capacity of 9,100 #'s.

The 2015 3.5 EB has 420 lb.-ft @ 2500 rpms, and the 5.0 has 387 lb.-ft @ 3850 rpms.

The 2015 3.5 EB has a payload capacity of 2,060 #'s, and the 5.0 has a payload capacity of 2,100 #'s.

Here's where those numbers come from:
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/spec...ions/view-all/

I think the low end torque is the most logical feature to look at. If you're towing anything, wouldn't you want more torque to pull hills or pass when you need it?

If you're concerned about the turbo's, check out the torture tests:
Ford - F150 Ecoboost Torture Test Episodes 1-6 High Quality - YouTube

Personally, I was tired of people telling me I should buy something "practical". I drive my truck nearly every day, and put about 20k on it annually. I would rather have one that's more fun to drive. The 2015 3.5 EB is definitely more fun to drive, has a higher towing capacity, and more importantly, has more low end torque.

A couple recommendations... either way, before you buy it, make sure you test it out at highway speeds so you don't get one that vibrates or has road noise. The first one I test drove vibrated at highway speeds, but there was no vibration at all in the second one (the one I bought). Lots of people seem to be having issues with the sunroof's leaking or vibrating too.
I most certainly appreciate your enthusiasm, and detailed response. I only trust so much of that video, as its not an independent study. That said I work in manufacturing, and Im convinced Ford did their due diligence when making this platform. Additionally having been on the market for five years, you are hard pressed to note any common or ongoing issues/failures with the 3.5 E.B. Yes it more complex than the 5.0, and it would behoove one to stick to a diligent maintenance schedule.

I too put exhaust, a tune, and a drop in K&N to make my 5.4 tolerable. I also drive my truck alot upwards of 30k a year, which is why the E.B. seems appealing to me as well. The 5.0 was not bad at all, just lacks the wow factor the boosted motor gives, and I do favor the idea of towing with ease. I had lunch with a coworker who is a fellow auto enthusiasts, and he all but has me convinced to go for the E.B.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:01 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Especially if you get the EB, don't use a K&N. Stick with a stock paper filter. The K&N lets too much fine dust through that can eat the turbos.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:14 AM
If I was looking for longevity I would get the 5.0.

The 5.0 doesnt have direct injection, turbos, or multiple displacement on demand like GM.

The ecoboost is cool though. I get my V8 fix when I drive my 6.2L f250, the f150 is more fun though.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:35 AM
I own both.

The V8 is mine. The EB is my wife's.

Mine is flawless to drive, but uses a touch more fuel.
Hers is slightly peaky to drive, so she drives easy as not to kick in the turbo.

We use the EB for trips. I use the V8 for around town and work.

Each has it's good/poor points.

I like the V8. It is predictable and what you are used to.
The EB is (for me) peaky and has some torque-steer when the power comes on. (Not unexpected)

You want mileage? go EB. (I can not speak for engine lifetime)
You want tried and true performance, the V8 is for you.

The late turbos are not like the old sleeve bearing units. They are truly a step up in class. Don't sweat the turbo's lifespan.

Miz

Old 11-25-2015, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Especially if you get the EB, don't use a K&N. Stick with a stock paper filter. The K&N lets too much fine dust through that can eat the turbos.
Hey GLC, isn't the issue with the K&N filters that people over oil them when they clean them? I agree, I am staying away from the K&N drop ins now too. I had one in my old truck, but I don't think its worth taking the chance of getting oil in there.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by nickbrumaghim
I only trust so much of that video, as its not an independent study. That said I work in manufacturing, and Im convinced Ford did their due diligence when making this platform. Additionally having been on the market for five years, you are hard pressed to note any common or ongoing issues/failures with the 3.5 E.B. Yes it more complex than the 5.0, and it would behoove one to stick to a diligent maintenance schedule.
I completely agree with you on all accounts.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:41 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDutchman
Hey GLC, isn't the issue with the K&N filters that people over oil them when they clean them? I agree, I am staying away from the K&N drop ins now too. I had one in my old truck, but I don't think its worth taking the chance of getting oil in there.
It's not just the oil issue - the filter also lets fine dust through that would be caught by a paper filter.

Quick Reply: To boost or not to boost (5.0)