2015 - 2020 F-150

Passenger Door "Knocking"

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 09:57 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OgRedd
Ok. Got some good news and some not-so-good news. The not-so-good-news first. I've had the truck back from the dealer for about an hour and a half. Before I left the service department and after the fix, they asked me to take the truck on a test drive to see if I hear any noises. On the "round the corner" trip, I didn't hear any knocking - even over some bumps with the roof open, closed and vented. Good, right? Not so much. Before the service, I didn't hear the knocking all the time. So I can't be positive it's completely gone. I told them I'll continue to listen on my regular routine.

Now the good news. I was told the glass nor the interior had to be removed. Once the sunroof was completely opened, the tech was able to access a "panel" that was causing the noise. I was told they completed the fix and it was a bit easier than they thought. The truck looked as good inside and out as it did when I dropped it off. A concern of mine was making sure the sunroof stayed level with the roof when closed. The advisor also told me that the tech adjusted the passenger front seat belt slide adjust because the belt came in contact with the plastic pillar trim. This was something I noticed earlier - but I didn't adjust the slider, I just made sure the belt wasn't knocking against the trim...
I'm glad you're back behind the wheel of your truck, Og! If you have any issues in the future, you know how to reach me.

Crystal

Old 11-10-2015, 12:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FordService
I'm glad you're back behind the wheel of your truck, Og! If you have any issues in the future, you know how to reach me.

Crystal
Thanks, Crystal! - Og

Old 11-10-2015, 01:11 PM
That's great news on the sunroof fix. Hope that does it for ya.

Interesting on the passenger front seat belt. I'll have to see if I can adjust mine so I don't have to move it myself all the time.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by TheDutchman
That's great news on the sunroof fix. Hope that does it for ya.

Interesting on the passenger front seat belt. I'll have to see if I can adjust mine so I don't have to move it myself all the time.
Thanks. Hoping everything's cool now. - Og

Old 11-10-2015, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I checked my front passenger side seat belt. On the buckle if you look closely, there are three pieces of what look like the smooth part of Velcro. Mine had one of the pieces missing and that was making the rattling noise. I just cut a small piece of the Velcro and attached it. Magic, noise gone.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by bkool2323
I checked my front passenger side seat belt. On the buckle if you look closely, there are three pieces of what look like the smooth part of Velcro. Mine had one of the pieces missing and that was making the rattling noise. I just cut a small piece of the Velcro and attached it. Magic, noise gone.
Cool. Glad your issue was a quick fix. Unfortunately, mine wasn't. I'll double check the "velcro" strips just because. Glad you didn't have the sunroof deal. Hopefully others with a similar issue like yours note your post. - Og

Old 11-13-2015, 09:41 AM
I adjusted the slider and moved the passenger seat belt all the way down. It was all the way up. I'll see if it stops the rattle when nobody is in that seat.

If it still rattles, I'll try bkool's tip. That should definitely do trick!

Old 11-13-2015, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by TheDutchman
I adjusted the slider and moved the passenger seat belt all the way down. It was all the way up. I'll see if it stops the rattle when nobody is in that seat.

If it still rattles, I'll try bkool's tip. That should definitely do trick!
Sounds like a great quick fix. So far, no more knocking from the roof. - Og

Old 11-16-2015, 12:51 PM
Sounds like a great quick fix. So far, no more knocking from the roof. - Og
Spoke too soon. I'm hearing the knocking from the roof again. I thought it was the passenger belt - because the roof was supposedly "fixed" - so I buckled the belt. No dice. The noise continued and it's coming from overhead. It's a bit embarrassing driving people around in a 50k truck and having to explain that the "knock" option was free. Guess it's back to the dealership. - Og

Old 11-16-2015, 03:54 PM
Spoke too soon. I'm hearing the knocking from the roof again. I thought it was the passenger belt - because the roof was supposedly "fixed" - so I buckled the belt. No dice. The noise continued and it's coming from overhead. It's a bit embarrassing driving people around in a 50k truck and having to explain that the "knock" option was free. Guess it's back to the dealership. - Og
Thanks for the update, Og; I'll arrange for your CSM to follow-up with you. It looks like she was having a hard time getting you on the phone. PM me a verification of your best contact method, and I'll make sure your CSM reaches out.

Crystal

Old 11-16-2015, 05:05 PM
Stopped by the dealer today and took the service tech on a quick ride. There was no problem with him hearing the noise from the roof. I equipped myself with some research I've done on this forum and other F150 forums. I took printouts of a fix one guy had performed at his dealer. They replaced the entire front sunroof glass assembly in his truck for the fix. I shared this info with my tech and he agreed to order a new front sunroof assembly. Can't say I'm happy that the roof has to come out, but, oh well. Tech said it shouldn't be a big deal. I'll keep posting updates. - Og

FYI - http://www.f150forum.com/f118/knocki...298438/index5/

Last edited by OgRedd; 11-16-2015 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Link for "fix" added.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the update, Og; I'll arrange for your CSM to follow-up with you. It looks like she was having a hard time getting you on the phone. PM me a verification of your best contact method, and I'll make sure your CSM reaches out.

Crystal
Thanks. PM'd you, Crystal. I PM'd my cell number back on October 27, but no one from Ford Service calls me on it. I only get calls on my landline during the hours of the day I'm not in. I PM'd you my cell again today. Ford Service should feel free to contact me at both numbers. - Og

Last edited by OgRedd; 11-16-2015 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Cell number PM'd again.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:47 AM
Thanks. PM'd you, Crystal. I PM'd my cell number back on October 27, but no one from Ford Service calls me on it. I only get calls on my landline during the hours of the day I'm not in. I PM'd you my cell again today. Ford Service should feel free to contact me at both numbers. - Og
I updated your case with this info, Og. Be sure to let me know when you get a call from your CSM; I'm more than happy to reach out to them on your behalf, if needed.

Crystal

Old 11-18-2015, 02:03 PM
I updated your case with this info, Og. Be sure to let me know when you get a call from your CSM; I'm more than happy to reach out to them on your behalf, if needed.

Crystal
Thanks again, Crystal. - Og

Old 11-18-2015, 02:06 PM
Update - My service advisor called yesterday to schedule a second fix on the sunroof. Explained that his tech has everything he needs to correct the problem this time. Still not sure if Ford has issued a TSB on this problem. The research I've done proves that this is a pretty common problem with sunroofs in the NBS F150s. I'll ask once I drop the truck off tomorrow. - Og

Quick Reply: Passenger Door "Knocking"