2015 - 2020 F-150

lane keeper

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lane keeper

My new ride has an option called lane keeper...I think . While driving a wide load approached...I moved to the edge of the road , and when it passed I came back . I noticed a vibration in the steering wheel....and forgot about it . This happened a couple more times , now I am thinking something is wrong with this new vehicle . It vibrates three times and stops . While looking thru the book , I notice a section called lane keeper . Evidently if you start wandering in the lane this warns you .And it will finally tell you that you need rest on the speedometer screen
...this is no B.S. This truck is way over my paygrade . 45/70SS

Old 09-11-2015, 05:24 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
<p>Yup, they ARE tricked out, aren't they? My car, a 2013 Honda has a lane keeping feature too, but it sounds a gentle &quot;beep&quot; three times and flashes a light on the instrument panel. I think I like that approach better than vibrating the steering wheel. A feature I really appreciate in that same car is a &quot;Collision Warning&quot; system that beeps louder and flashes a light on the windshield. It's smart enough to judge speed of closure as well as distance, so it doesn't give false alarms objectionably. AND, I think it saved me once from rear ending someone who slowed suddenly in front of me in the middle of a city block while I was temporarily distracted. If I'd been just a bit later applying the brakes, it would not have been pretty.</p><p>I can turn both of these warnings off, but I leave them on, so they can do their job. I wish my truck had them.</p><p>- Jack</p>

Old 09-11-2015, 05:57 PM
Try it on the highway at high speeds, cross way over the line and it will pull you back into the correct lane.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:09 PM
It's like a stick shaker on an aircraft. Alerts you to wake up and pay attention as something isn't right. Lol can't wait for my Platinum to finally be delivered.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by bkool2323
Try it on the highway at high speeds, cross way over the line and it will pull you back into the correct lane.
So what does it do when you cross way over the line to avoid an object on the road, does it pull you back into the lane so you hit it?

Old 09-12-2015, 12:03 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Wild Bill
So what does it do when you cross way over the line to avoid an object on the road, does it pull you back into the lane so you hit it?

There are several factors going into these types of systems, its looking a relationship between lane position and steering torque input.
Meaning:
Little to no steering input + lane movement = warning
Middle to high steering input + lane movement = no warning

Old 09-12-2015, 12:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you suppose it will handle a heavy side wind?

How about heavy rain so the lane ruts are full of water?

Only active with cruise on?

Old 09-12-2015, 01:39 PM
Lane keeping is separate from cruise control.

EPAS should deal with the wind and ruts...

http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/video/...=2710883555001

I'm not sure how much steering the 'aid' mode does for you. This video explains what the lane keeping system does and how it works, and it describes aid mode as a nudge, or an assist, rather than steering you back onto the lane on its own...

http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/video/...=2716894027001

There's also a driver warning system that monitors how well you're staying between the lines and alerts you when it thinks you're tired. And also a warning that measures steering input and alerts you when it thinks you've taken your hands off the wheel - I suspect that one is a product of the other systems, since you know there's going to be someone out there who thinks the lane keeping system will steer the car for them while they take a nap.

Last edited by leikos; 09-12-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:07 PM
if only there was a workaround... ... ...
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...nd-a-soda-can/

Old 10-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a chip in my windshield fixed on Friday. The tech said the new glass with the lane keeper is "Ford only" and can take several months to source if you need new glass. Hopefully that wait time comes down since we are approaching winter...

Quick Reply: lane keeper