2015 - 2020 F-150

Why I will never use Safelite again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On Monday June 1st my 2015 F150 windshield was struck by a rock on interstate. It immediately cracked and required replacement. I call my insurance company who funneled me through Safelite to setup an appointment to have a new OEM windshield installed. I chose to take it to the shop due to issues I had in the past with a different vehicle. The mobile unit did not install that windshield straight. I arrive at the local shop at 7:30AM for my 8:00AM appointment. The Safelite team was having a meeting which ran till almost 8:20AM and well past my appointment time. I went to walk to a fast food restaurant 2 doors down for breakfast to find the Safelite team gathered around my tailgate to see how it worked. The manager saw me watching him and his staff and said they were just curious because they had not seen the new model yet with the electronic tailgate release. After all that they got my new windshield installed and I left. I ran an errand just down the road from Safelite. When I came out I noticed something seemed off and I immediately went back to Safelite. The issue was they installed my new windows 1/4 inch too far to the driver side. I was told they could come to me or I would need to come back. I chose to bring it back to the shop and was told I would need to wait until Friday June 12th (so it had time to cure) at which time they could pull it and center it. I worked out with the Tech to come at 1:00PM. Friday came and I was home so I called to see if I could take it in early but was informed I was setup for 4PM not 1PM and the spare glass would not arrive until between 12PM and 1PM. I took my truck in that afternoon where they removed the windshield (spare on hand in case it broke) and they centered it. On my way home I noticed a partial palm print smug on the window in my line of site. I did not want to wipe it until the glass had time to set. I parked my truck until Sunday June 7th and noticed the large smudge (so I thought). I tried to clean it but it would not wipe off. It appears some prep of some sort was left on the window and permanently marked it. I immediately called my insurance companies 800 number but was told I would need to call a specific Safelite number Monday morning. I called first thing Monday morning June 8th and spoke with the representative who worked to get my deductible refunded and a mobile tech to come out. This tech showed up after lunch and attempted to clean the window but did not have replacement glass as they now did not have one for my truck (sent back or something). I set up to go in on Thursday June 11th to have a new windshield installed. It stormed that day so I did not notice anything when I got in my truck to leave work Monday. On Tuesday June 9th I went to lunch and noticed a scratch on the plastic cover over the mirror connections on the inside of the driver side door I also noticed a chip to the paint on the inside portion of the door. This prompted me to check the passenger side where I found many scuffs and 2 inch scratch to the inside paint of that door. Once I got back to my office I immediately called the Safelite 800 number and informed them who put me in touch with the local manager. I told him I would like the driver and passenger side plastic covers replaced with OEM covers. I would also like touch up paint so I could repair the scratch and chip to my interior door area paint. He wanted me to leave work and bring it to him to see so he could figure out what to order. I told him no that I had already taken off enough work and I could have it there between 5PM and 6PM. He said they would be closed so I told him I would email him pictures. Went back to the shop on Thursday June 11th to have a new window installed. After waiting about 20 minutes I was informed they did not receive the replacement windshield. I went directly to my insurance agent so we could have a discussion. Later in the day Safelite informed me the windshield they did have had a scratch and I was re-scheduled for Saturday June 13th. I arrived on Saturday where the manager removed my window and installed a new one. He also provided me with the interior covers I requested and touchup paint.

You would think this would be the end of my Safelite saga but you would be mistaken! I used my squirts and wipers for the first time on June 15th which made me realize my wipers were not put back on correctly. I was able to resolve this myself later that evening. It only rained lightly once over the next week so I did not notice anything other than the sealant was showing in areas around the Window. Not happy but could live with this. I finally had time and washed my truck on Sunday June 21st. I got in my truck after drying it to find water on my console (just missed the NAV unit) and a small puddle inside the area where the SD card goes. On Monday June 22nd I contacted my insurance agent and demanded another company be sent out to fix this and Safelite pay for it. I spoke to this local company and they were able to get me setup for Thursday June 25th. When they showed up they found damage I had not and explained the oozing that occurred would be an issue because it would need to be cut off and probably scratch my paint. I called my insurance agent and put the rep (owner of the local company) on the phone so he could go over everything with him. This resulted in the truck needing to be taken to the local Ford dealer’s body shop. I took the truck in for an estimate on Friday June 26th (3 months since I took delivery) and dropped her off for repair on Monday June 29th. I received a call from the body shop that they have found more damage including a scuff/scratch to the passenger side dash leather.
Safelite may be paying for the repairs but this should have never happened! If anyone makes it through my post avoid Safelite at all cost if possible!

List of issues so far:

Windshield installed off center had to be removed and centered
Windshield permanently marked had to be removed and replaced
Windshield leaking because improperly installed being replaced
Paint required by body shop because of removal of improperly installed windshield
Scratches to inside of doors (painted area) required touchup paint
Both windows cowling pieces not sitting correctly and scuffed being replaced
Plastic on bumper just under grill scratched from standing on it
Both interior mirror caps replaced because of scratches and scuffs
Lane departure camera cover not on correctly possible damaged
Both window pillar interior covers scratched damaged being replaced
Passenger side dash leather scuffed/scratched being replaced

Last edited by huyscm; 06-30-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:48 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Wow! What a mess!

Old 06-30-2015, 09:12 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
First post and it isn't a good one. So you decide to bash the heck out of a company all over the internet. That doesn't fly well with me. If you were all that about yer truck you would have been a long time poster. My suggestion, pull them big girl panties up and keep it between you and them.
I've had numerous windshields replaced by Safelite and all have gone extremely good with the exception of one in a Dakota 15 years ago. The one they installed was distorted. When they got another one in, they came out to my office and replaced it. My brother has to be the king of broken windshields with 3 being his usual broken windshields per year. He uses only Safelite and has never had a complaint. Always two sides to every coin.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:21 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
That's a hard post to argue with...no way that stuff should have been damaged I had my new car not even 12 hours (100% no exaggeration) and I gor nailed with a rock on the highway. Had it replaced a few days later. No issues and no mess. Guy did a great job. That just sounds like carelessness.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:57 PM
Labnerd I just switched back from Toyota. I wanted to upgrade to a full size and Ford offered what I felt was a better full size truck. I joined to track my truck and see what others were sharing. Maybe you got lucky and have a good Safelite near you. The one here is awful and my neighbor who is an insurance agent discourages all his clients from using them because of all the issues he has had with them. He is who referred me to the other local company helping to resolve my issues. Yep two sides but if they had not damaged her they would not be so eager to pay.

Appreciate all the other comments from everyone.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:45 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I suspect the Safelight franchise you went to is atypical, huyscm. I've had several windshields replaced by Safelight in various vehicles, including one on my previous F150 KR and have had no issues whatsoever with their work. I've had the work done at their shop and at home, with equal, professional results.

- Jack

Old 07-01-2015, 02:21 AM
Originally Posted by huyscm
On Monday June 1st my 2015 F150 windshield was struck by a rock on interstate. It immediately cracked and required replacement. I call my insurance company who funneled me through Safelite to setup an appointment to have a new OEM windshield installed. I chose to take it to the shop due to issues I had in the past with a different vehicle. The mobile unit did not install that windshield straight.
Welcome to the forum. I replaced a windshield recently and avoided Safelite after reading the many negative reviews on f150online. They are careless, more expensive, and not to mention the glass is not OEM quality. Next time look for an independent shop with good reviews and OEM quality glass- and have them talk to the insurance company, then the funneling to Safelite will stop.

1) Happened to me too. Had the truck for two months and Bang! It was just a little pin *****, but the next morning it split out both sides about four inches. By the end of the day it was seven on the right, six on the left. Insurance covered it under comprehensive (100.00 deductable). Had Safelite do it. They did ok with the windshield, but damaged my paint and left glass chips and shars all over the interior. I highly UN-recommend them. List on the windshield was about 526.00 plus an install kit? 37.00. and labor was 114.00.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...600-miles.html

2) Pissed!
I go out to my truck for lunch and notice my Homelink transmitter is hanging from the windshield. It was "propped" up to try to fool me. When I removed my sunshield, the transmitter completely fell off the mount, hanging from the wires. There are two tabs on the transmitter housing that fit into slots in the mount that adheres to the windshield. Drove straight to Safelite. Pissed. They knew they broke it and didn't tell me when the new windshield was installed. They agreed to pay the dealer to fix it. Now I got to go back to the dealer to let them pull the part number from the transmitter to replace it and wait until it gets here. If they would've told me the day it was installed, I'd have the friggin' thing by now.

3) I dont generally like to bash a company. There are times when it is called for though. I have had nothing but bad experiences with Safelite. Working in a body shop I tend to do alot of Glass R&I and replacement. Almost everytime I ever had to use them it seemed like something was messed up afterwards. Either the scratched the glass, cut a trim panel or moulding or got urethane on something. If youve ever messed with urethane you know once you get just a little bit on something it gets everywhere and is a pain to clean up.

I had a customer that had a w/shield replaced with safelite before the vehicle was brought to me. The glass was not set right and leaked. Safelite sent the tech to our shop to warranty the install. There was a light drizzle that day. The safelite tech shows up with one of his co-workers in tow. You can tell he is not happy about having to re-do the job and is very impatient. As i am giving him the keys, my manager walks in the office and asks if he could move his van as he had parked in front of the enterance to our back lot. He was not being rude about it but you could tell my manager was a little aggitated that the guy just pulls up and parks in front of the gate instead of in a parking space. The safelite tech proceeds to turn around and hand me the keys back and tells me he doesnt work in the rain. I told hime thats no problem because I have had the vehicle parked in the detail bay all day. The vehicle is nice and dry for him. He tells me again that he does not work in the rain. At that point I tell him I will let the customer know why he didnt want to fix the w/shield. He turns around and walks out.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ot...acement-2.html

4) I happen to like the factory windshield with it's "F-150" embossed logo in the upper center. Safelite does not carry the same windshield. And, my last Safelite windshield was less than perfect optically.

What's the chance a dealer can do a good job replacing the windshield with a new factory one?

Suggestions please!

5) Ask your insurance company for a referral to a glass place that DOES have the OEM windshield. Safelite isn't the only glass company on the planet.

6) Hopefully safelite is better in your area.... They did $1200 worth of damage to my buddies Hummer and then did about $300 worth of damage to another buddie's car. In my 2010 I had to replace the windshield and had a local glass shop do the work and it was like $100 with my insurance and then a month later it got a chip and they fixed it for free and did a great job. I'd look for a reputable shop first and check your policy too.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...indshield.html

7) Safelite uses their own glass for windshields, and it's definitely not OEM quality.

You can always request OEM glass.............

Sure, but it's going to cost more.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ml#post4980053

Old 07-01-2015, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
First post and it isn't a good one. So you decide to bash the heck out of a company all over the internet. That doesn't fly well with me. If you were all that about yer truck you would have been a long time poster. My suggestion, pull them big girl panties up and keep it between you and them.
I've had numerous windshields replaced by Safelite and all have gone extremely good with the exception of one in a Dakota 15 years ago. The one they installed was distorted. When they got another one in, they came out to my office and replaced it. My brother has to be the king of broken windshields with 3 being his usual broken windshields per year. He uses only Safelite and has never had a complaint. Always two sides to every coin.
Remember, people are more willing to share a negative experience rather than a positive one. If everything would have went according to plan per the OP's expectations, it would have been considered business as usual.

Anyhow, welcome to the forums huyscm

Old 07-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Too long, didn't read. I've used safelight before many times. Never had a problem. Just good luck I guess

Old 07-02-2015, 11:51 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Quality of their glass is not the same as OEM. Other then that they are not too bad in my area.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:28 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by PawPaw
Quality of their glass is not the same as OEM. Other then that they are not too bad in my area.
That may be, but I'm not that impressed with OEM glass either. Seems to me that windshield glass used to be much more able to take a rock hit without breaking. Yes, you'd get a "pit", but not the "starburst" cracks.

- Jack

Old 07-03-2015, 01:33 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

I agree Jack. My 2014 got hit with a rock that was not loud at all and I have a star.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:54 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Safelite replaced the windshield in my SCrew 2 years ago. I had the option of a cheap windshield or higher priced OEM Ford branded glass. I went with the Ford glass and it came in a Ford box. So yeah, you choose to cut corners, they will put cheap glass in place of OEM.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
my dealer put some kind of stuff on the windshield that is suppose to harden it. I have had pretty big rocks hit the windshield and so far not even a mark in over 2 years! They charged 125.00 for it when i bought the truck. Also comes with a 5 year free replacement if it chips or cracks.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
my dealer put some kind of stuff on the windshield that is suppose to harden it. I have had pretty big rocks hit the windshield and so far not even a mark in over 2 years! They charged 125.00 for it when i bought the truck. Also comes with a 5 year free replacement if it chips or cracks.
The film you put over paint to prevent rock chips? What does your paperwork list it as?

Quick Reply: Why I will never use Safelite again!!!