2015 - 2020 F-150

Why I will never use Safelite again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 09:48 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Need4racin
The film you put over paint to prevent rock chips? What does your paperwork list it as?
I think that might very well be what it is. I believe, though, that it may be illegal to put it over windshields in some States. It would have to be really good stuff, that would not hurt the optical properties of the windshield.

- Jack

Old 07-05-2015, 10:29 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Why I will never use Safelite again!!!

Maybe they didn't treat it with anything and just sold an insurance policy for $125.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 07-06-2015, 12:59 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
You just paid $125 for a 5 year warranty on your windshield. The product isn't much better than Rain-X or Aquapel. It's just like all the other "dealer-only" treatments for paint, etc. that's a profit center for the dealership - that you can't buy for applying it yourself.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by huyscm
I call my insurance company who funneled me through Safelite to setup an appointment to have a new OEM windshield installed.
Safelite is garbage and overpriced. Even their employees hate it and call it SLAVELITE working 12 jobs a day. That's not quality, that's quantity. Anyone that has worked their for years will pretty much tell you it sucks! The only reason they get so many jobs is because they are the glass claims administrator for 98% of the insurance companies now. Many would call that steering, which we all know it is. Please refer to pissedconsumer.com and enter Safelite. Then explain why they have so many complaints if they do such a good job. Will be waiting for your answer.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:44 AM
More grist for the mill:

Lets see, 80% of all glass claims are now routed through SGC (safelite) asisgned to safelite shops, and they install service glass, which again, is safelite.

So even though, "Steering" is an illegal practice in the insurance industry, they do it thousands of times a day.

If you tell them you're using another shop, they will try to scare you away from doing so by telling you you wont have a warranty (as if every reputable glass shop doesn't warranty their work) and that they don't have a pricing agreement with said shop- implying to the customer that they will pay more.

All of this is BS and untruths scripted in such a way that it barely skirts the lines of legality.

So here we have a single organization who :
Handles the bulk of the glass claims in the country - routes those jobs to their shops - installs glass which they manufacture - and then they use barely legal bully tactics to "steer" customers away from independent shops.

I'm absolutely astonished that the federal government lets this go on --- I mean, do we need a dude in a top-hat and a monocle before the government will call it like it is and disassemble this monopoly?

The problem is, the customer is under the impression that they are talking to their insurance company, despite their call being routed to Safelite, so when they tell a customer that if they use another shop they wont receive a warranty, the customer does not understand the distinction.. they think its their insurance company telling them they have no warranty.

I mean why would safelite need to "warn " a customer that they will not receive a warranty from safelite on a job that safelite doesn't install? -- it's not necessary, and only designed to confuse.

The best you could call this is "shady", but truly, it's outright lying as a scare tactic in order to steal business.

You can debate all day the quality of their work, but what is not debatable at all is this:

Safelite is the evil empire of the glass industry. They steal thousands of jobs from the little guys every day - and the customer is never aware they are unwittingly taking part in this larceny.

i have worked at a local glass shop and for safelite. at the local shop we've had customers on the phone in shop with the insurance company and watched the insurance company try to sway them to safelite. one day the boss got so pissed he got on the line to talk to the insurance company about our warranty. it was actually quite funny. its been said so many times before and ill say it again, its all about numbers. you get paid per job so why wouldnt a tech want to bang out as many as he can a day? to say that safelite does a much better job is insanity. most of the people at the shop are under qualified to install glass. techs are underpaid and working conditions suck. *** that place id never recommend them to anyone.

Safelite likes cheap under qualified techs and they have deep enough pockets to try to keep up with damage they create .

Wife of a small glass shop own Jun 09, 2012 #493620

Hey...we get a lot of business after Safelite screws something up! It's tough to compete with a shop that has a monopoly on the glass and scheduling, but when they mess up, we get the call to clean it up. Sure wish they would call us first, but then customers truly appreciate the quality service afterwards!

Former Glass installer Apr 06, 2012 #462111

I was in the automotive glass replacement business for 38 years, as a manager and a glass tech. I have retired and enjoy doing nothing now. Last month I had a rock hit my ford p/u windshield and crack it. I called my insurance agent and they set it up with Safelite. I told them I wanted an oem windshield (carlite). The Safelite rep told me I would have to pay extra for this. I told him he was wrong and I called my agent back. Next day they showed up with an oem carlite windshield. Imagine that. They replaced my windshield. Went out the next morning and the glass had a crack coming from the side. I called the agent back and he said he would call Safelite. Tech shows up and said "Something hit it and rebroke it". Ummm...the truck is parked in the garage and was not moved since the glass was replaced. I told him it looked like a stress crack. He pulled up the side moulding and you could see where the moulding hit the glass when he put it back on. He said I would have to call my agent and report another claim!! I called my agent..explained to him what happened..sent him pictures of the crack. He also knows me from when I was replacing glass and knows I know wth I'm talking about. He had another glass company come out and replace the glass. Last time I checked..he was no longer using Safelite.

http://safelite-auto-glass.pissedcon...318305751.html

Old 07-06-2015, 01:45 AM
Bubba, I'm getting really sick of seeing your sorry *** all over these boards defending Safelite. These complaints are not a conspiracy to commit slander or make up lies, these complaints are here because Safelite IS a corrupt, inethical business that STEALS and STEERS business away from smaller entities with deceptive practices as a third party administrator. You just fear these facts will come to the public eye.

Safelite floods the market with their ads, even saying their glass is the best. WRONG! They make their own glass and it's complete garbage. I have seen distortions and other imperfections that Pilkington glass puts to shame.

So save your online rants about how great Safelite is. Someday, hopefully SOONER than later, consumers will catch on to their business practices and easily be able to tell who YOU are and the purpose of your presence here on these boards.

http://safelite-auto-glass.pissedcon...318305751.html

Bubba kinda sounds like some of the people here that defend Safelite.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:59 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have had the windshield on my 2005 F-150 replaced 6 times. In Florida, by law, your insurance company has to replace it free of charge. The last couple of times my insurance company used Safelite, and I have not been happy with them AT ALL. The last time they did it, I was out of state on a trip, and was in a position where it had to be done in the parking lot of a hotel during the day. It could not wait until I got home. The safelite place only had aftermarket glass, so I had them do it. It was so bad, I could not drive. They put it in crappy, broke the valence, the glass itself is sub-par. I was not happy/

Old 07-06-2015, 09:53 AM
Wow, thanks for this thread! I just had windshield replaced on my old Dakota, glad I used a local independent shop! I've never used safelite, and surely WILL NOT.

Y'all glass boys, many years ago, I had new windshield put in our Mercury Zephyr. Local man came to house and said he used glass made from sea sand (or something). I could tell the difference anyway. It was a great windshield! Is there such a thing as glass made with sea/ocean sand?

Old 07-06-2015, 11:01 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
You just paid $125 for a 5 year warranty on your windshield. The product isn't much better than Rain-X or Aquapel. It's just like all the other "dealer-only" treatments for paint, etc. that's a profit center for the dealership - that you can't buy for applying it yourself.
Oh well, for 125 bucks and 5 year guarantee it is worth it. As stated i have seen numerous rocks hit and bounce off the windshield and make a horrible noise and nothing has ever happened. I am not saying go pay this to get your windshield treated, just saying it has helped mine.

With all the Oil Field truck's around and Sand Trucks peoples windshields around here take a beating, not to mention the horrible repave job on 277 south where chunks of pavement is coming up and making flying debris and rocks a common occurance

The Front of my truck (bumper, Grill, Surround and top of hood) has damage from rocks, but so far the windshield is great.

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 07-06-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Oh well, for 125 bucks and 5 year guarantee it is worth it. As stated i have seen numerous rocks hit and bounce off the windshield and make a horrible noise and nothing has ever happened. I am not saying go pay this to get your windshield treated, just saying it has helped mine.

With all the Oil Field truck's around and Sand Trucks peoples windshields around here take a beating, not to mention the horrible repave job on 277 south where chunks of pavement is coming up and making flying debris and rocks a common occurance

The Front of my truck (bumper, Grill, Surround and top of hood) has damage from rocks, but so far the windshield is great.
I'm sure that is some sort of ceramic glass coating that will form a layer of protection similar to a clear coat on a vehicle. You didn't pay for a bottle of insurance there is actually something to it there. You might have overplayed for it but buying a bottle of it yourself certainly does not come with replacement glass.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:12 PM
A good way to end this thread is for me to respond...

I have never dealt with Safelite, and probably never will because of the reputation the had when I was in the Auto Body trade...but there are worse installers out there...Their window alignment tool seems like a scam...probably a way to make it so one person can handle the larger glass...

I have never seen their glass...OEM is usually best (Carlite, PPG, LOF)...the mark up on glass is supposed to be crazy...

I have known good installers, and really bad ones...

I went through 3 windshields in 3 weeks in my toyota truck many years ago. There was only one guy I would let touch my truck...he did a great job all 3 times. Then I got a crack in my F150 about 7 years ago...my insurance co wanted to use safelite...I said no...then they gave me the name of a couple of other shops...I picked one, told them my windshield had the F150 in the center...the changed it with an OEM, and all was good... I could go on about the worse installers out there, but I might sound like a biggot by the end of it. The insurance companies will seek out the absolute cheapest shops...the kind that use indentured servants...they are way worse than safelite...

Old 07-08-2015, 07:30 AM
MDK
Sounds like y'all have had some bad luck.

I've had probably 6 claims in the last 5yrs, 2 on a brand new VW Tiguan with less than 1K miles (that was a bad month ha) and about 4 on the F150. Sometimes they had windshields with the F150 logo and sometimes not but it was always with Safelite since that's what USAA uses. They would always try to get me to go to their store but I never did so they would meet me at my house. Always different installers but snow, rain, or cold the guys were there and I never had any issues. My Ford remote start sensor that's mounted to the windshield below the rearview mirror is always put back as well. Never had any issues other than one time there was an excess of some black goo they used but I just wiped it off. I don't use my insurance to claim anymore since my deductible is $250 and after having so many windshields replaced it actually costs me $246 for a windshield so I just pay out of pocket. They always tell me when it's too cold for the windshield to be installed correctly and always let me know what I can and cannot do after.

I'll continue to use them as long as they keep coming out to my house and do a good job. I seem to get most of the rock chips in winter since Colorado lays down gravel instead of salt and who the hell would want to drop off a vehicle at a glass place in -15F temps, get a ride back to their house, then back to the shop after its done, and drive back again in that kind of weather all while inconveniencing a second person? I would pay double to have someone come in my heated garage to install a windshield

Old 07-09-2015, 11:39 AM
On Monday June 1st my 2015 F150 windshield was struck by a rock on interstate. It immediately cracked and required replacement. I call my insurance company who funneled me through Safelite to setup an appointment to have a new OEM windshield installed. I chose to take it to the shop due to issues I had in the past with a different vehicle. The mobile unit did not install that windshield straight. I arrive at the local shop at 7:30AM for my 8:00AM appointment. The Safelite team was having a meeting which ran till almost 8:20AM and well past my appointment time. I went to walk to a fast food restaurant 2 doors down for breakfast to find the Safelite team gathered around my tailgate to see how it worked. The manager saw me watching him and his staff and said they were just curious because they had not seen the new model yet with the electronic tailgate release. After all that they got my new windshield installed and I left. I ran an errand just down the road from Safelite. When I came out I noticed something seemed off and I immediately went back to Safelite. The issue was they installed my new windows 1/4 inch too far to the driver side. I was told they could come to me or I would need to come back. I chose to bring it back to the shop and was told I would need to wait until Friday June 12th (so it had time to cure) at which time they could pull it and center it. I worked out with the Tech to come at 1:00PM. Friday came and I was home so I called to see if I could take it in early but was informed I was setup for 4PM not 1PM and the spare glass would not arrive until between 12PM and 1PM. I took my truck in that afternoon where they removed the windshield (spare on hand in case it broke) and they centered it. On my way home I noticed a partial palm print smug on the window in my line of site. I did not want to wipe it until the glass had time to set. I parked my truck until Sunday June 7th and noticed the large smudge (so I thought). I tried to clean it but it would not wipe off. It appears some prep of some sort was left on the window and permanently marked it. I immediately called my insurance companies 800 number but was told I would need to call a specific Safelite number Monday morning. I called first thing Monday morning June 8th and spoke with the representative who worked to get my deductible refunded and a mobile tech to come out. This tech showed up after lunch and attempted to clean the window but did not have replacement glass as they now did not have one for my truck (sent back or something). I set up to go in on Thursday June 11th to have a new windshield installed. It stormed that day so I did not notice anything when I got in my truck to leave work Monday. On Tuesday June 9th I went to lunch and noticed a scratch on the plastic cover over the mirror connections on the inside of the driver side door I also noticed a chip to the paint on the inside portion of the door. This prompted me to check the passenger side where I found many scuffs and 2 inch scratch to the inside paint of that door. Once I got back to my office I immediately called the Safelite 800 number and informed them who put me in touch with the local manager. I told him I would like the driver and passenger side plastic covers replaced with OEM covers. I would also like touch up paint so I could repair the scratch and chip to my interior door area paint. He wanted me to leave work and bring it to him to see so he could figure out what to order. I told him no that I had already taken off enough work and I could have it there between 5PM and 6PM. He said they would be closed so I told him I would email him pictures. Went back to the shop on Thursday June 11th to have a new window installed. After waiting about 20 minutes I was informed they did not receive the replacement windshield. I went directly to my insurance agent so we could have a discussion. Later in the day Safelite informed me the windshield they did have had a scratch and I was re-scheduled for Saturday June 13th. I arrived on Saturday where the manager removed my window and installed a new one. He also provided me with the interior covers I requested and touchup paint.

You would think this would be the end of my Safelite saga but you would be mistaken! I used my squirts and wipers for the first time on June 15th which made me realize my wipers were not put back on correctly. I was able to resolve this myself later that evening. It only rained lightly once over the next week so I did not notice anything other than the sealant was showing in areas around the Window. Not happy but could live with this. I finally had time and washed my truck on Sunday June 21st. I got in my truck after drying it to find water on my console (just missed the NAV unit) and a small puddle inside the area where the SD card goes. On Monday June 22nd I contacted my insurance agent and demanded another company be sent out to fix this and Safelite pay for it. I spoke to this local company and they were able to get me setup for Thursday June 25th. When they showed up they found damage I had not and explained the oozing that occurred would be an issue because it would need to be cut off and probably scratch my paint. I called my insurance agent and put the rep (owner of the local company) on the phone so he could go over everything with him. This resulted in the truck needing to be taken to the local Ford dealer’s body shop. I took the truck in for an estimate on Friday June 26th (3 months since I took delivery) and dropped her off for repair on Monday June 29th. I received a call from the body shop that they have found more damage including a scuff/scratch to the passenger side dash leather.
Safelite may be paying for the repairs but this should have never happened! If anyone makes it through my post avoid Safelite at all cost if possible!

List of issues so far:

Windshield installed off center had to be removed and centered
Windshield permanently marked had to be removed and replaced
Windshield leaking because improperly installed being replaced
Paint required by body shop because of removal of improperly installed windshield
Scratches to inside of doors (painted area) required touchup paint
Both windows cowling pieces not sitting correctly and scuffed being replaced
Plastic on bumper just under grill scratched from standing on it
Both interior mirror caps replaced because of scratches and scuffs
Lane departure camera cover not on correctly possible damaged
Both window pillar interior covers scratched damaged being replaced
Passenger side dash leather scuffed/scratched being replaced
Just wanted to update that I am still waiting to get my truck back from the body shop. A few of the pieces needed like the dash repair item and windshield cowlings are taking a good bit of time to arrive.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:26 PM
Grand Total

Just wanted to update that I am still waiting to get my truck back from the body shop. A few of the pieces needed like the dash repair item and windshield cowlings are taking a good bit of time to arrive.
The grand total of damage inflicted on my truck was $2629.65. Yes you read that correctly. This does not include the cost of the windshield only the body shop fees.

Quick Reply: Why I will never use Safelite again!!!