2015 - 2020 F-150

Better option than OEM ramps?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 04:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better option than OEM ramps?

After looking at the Ford OEM ramps, I decided not to get them. They were super "floppy" and narrow. However, I loved how they stowed away (btw, the OEM bed extender is completely worth it. Yes it's expensive, but it's well designed).

Today, we tried to run an errand by loading a 300lbs. wheeled air crate filled with Dolby Atmos processing equipment. We couldn't risk lifting it up on the truck because a) could probably hurt someone on the way up and b) would definitely hurt someone + the equipment on the way down.

Ramps would have been very nice, but something wide enough that you can stand on it steadily while rolling up a heavy load. We even had tethers and pulleys available, but without a ramp, it was going to be a messy affair.

Anyone find an option that is almost as stow-ready as the OEM ramps, but stronger and maybe provides more surface area?

Old 06-20-2015, 10:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have just used my extra long steel tri-fold quad ramp. I load my 600# quad and my 500# sleds all the time with it. I also helped my dad load a real heavy wood stove. For that we just put a piece of plywood on it so it would slide with force but not get away from us as a metal on metal would have done. It has held up great but does not stow well in my 6.5' bed. Oh well, keep looking.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:37 AM
Any other folks want to weigh in on the best aftermarket ramps? I'm not super excited about the floppy OEM ramps, but am probably going to get them if I cannot find a recommended alternative.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:09 AM
Found these and was wondering if they'd be better for any reason. Definitely look like they'd flex less (without joints), but less portable w/o the collapsing joints (that make the OEM ramps more portable).

http://www.jcwhitney.com/dee-zee-ind...1005d18911u0j1

• Pros: Smaller gaps making it easier for small, wheeled equipment to get onboard (vs. ATV ramps that have huge gaps that are fine for large-wheeled vehicles).
  • Cons: Harder to stow, potentially a less secure connection to the tail of the truck than the OEM solution.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still prefer a tri-fold ramp so that it stays a uniform width. Nothing like having one kick out from under your load...

Quick Reply: Better option than OEM ramps?