2015 - 2020 F-150

This is what it looks like, when your new glove box falls apart

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 03:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is what it looks like, when your new glove box falls apart

Mileage: 800mi.

What happened:
1. My glove box broke. It wasn't closing properly (open on the side closest to the driver). I opened it to see what was wrong, then closed it by pressing at the end to make it close + click. When I opened it again, it spit out a gear and the gear track as it fell open and hit the floor.
2. It gouged the door on the way down. It's a heavy sucker.
3. The glove box was almost empty when this happened. A set of keys, my registration, and an eyeglass case.

Warranty service visit already scheduled w/ the dealer, but guessing it'll take a while for them to get me a new door panel.

Here is what it was doing before it broke (it's open about .75" on the left side):
Name:  WP_20150617_17_19_48_Pro_zpswfeoeoaf.jpg
Views: 2811
Size:  204.7 KB

Here is what it looked like when I opened it again, after pressing it shut:
Name:  WP_20150617_17_15_00_Pro_zpstdv5e0kd.jpg
Views: 2631
Size:  201.7 KB

Here is what it did to the door:
Name:  WP_20150617_17_19_38_Pro_zpst0l6djtj.jpg
Views: 2154
Size:  225.5 KB

Old 06-19-2015, 07:54 AM
That sucks man. Hope the repairs go smoothly.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unreal.

While you are in there, is there a cabin air filter stashed back there somewhere?

Old 06-20-2015, 04:06 AM
Originally Posted by WoodsTruck
Unreal.

While you are in there, is there a cabin air filter stashed back there somewhere?
LOL I forgot all about that. I'll check in the AM.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:48 PM
You sure you did not put too much force down on the glove box? I have removed my glove box a couple of times already. One reason I want to find the coax cable for the Sirius radio if I ever need to disconnect it. FYI it's the white cable...

When you drop your glove box out of the way you have to remove the plastic gear it kinda locks into a slot on the right into the glove box and then I usually push up into the hole to get it up out of the way. Yes you can just pull it and it will come off the gear wheel. It will go back on pretty easy.

Last edited by kendive; 07-19-2015 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by WoodsTruck
Unreal.

According to the owner's manual, there is a cabin filter.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:43 AM
Originally Posted by kendive
You sure you did not put too much force down on the glove box? I have removed my glove box a couple of times already. One reason I want to find the coax cable for the Sirius radio if I ever need to disconnect it. FYI it's the white cable...

When you drop your glove box out of the way you have to remove the plastic gear it kinda locks into a slot on the right into the glove box and then I usually push up into the hole to get it up out of the way. Yes you can just pull it and it will come off the gear wheel. It will go back on pretty easy.

Here is a pic. I did not look for the cabin filter maybe when I get a chance I will take some pics of it.

Yup, mine was not closing properly and then it busted open. Ford is ordering an entirely new replacement unit because they cannot repair in place. Waiting to hear back from Ford warranty on the door.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kendive

Here is a pic. I did not look for the cabin filter maybe when I get a chance I will take some pics of it.

Whatcha need to disconnect if for?

Some sort of tracking?

Old 06-30-2015, 04:11 PM
Squirrel,
I hope you got a bad *** loaner car/truck for this.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Pockets
Whatcha need to disconnect if for?

Some sort of tracking?
Don't care for Sirius Radio and will never use it.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:24 AM
Update, 23 days later:
1. 1 visit to the dealership so far, 1 scheduled.
2. Glove box still not fixed. Factory told dealership to "try to service" before sending a replacement unit, so that's scheduled. My loaner is going to be an Enterprise rental, at their expense, for a single day, maybe two.
3. Door still not fixed. No clue if/when they are going to make good on that, if ever. Expected that they're backordered on parts for new trucks, so I'm just going to be patient on that one. I believe they'll make good, but I have to wait and see. Not a huge issue, my truck is still awesome despite all of this.

Holy crap I love this truck. There are all these naysayers and pundits, but this is a great ride even comparing to our 3 BMWs, 2 Volvos, 3 street-racing modified Japanese imports, a Dodge Pickup (technically my wife's, but I drove it plenty) and 1 Audi.

No bad glove box design will stop me from enjoying the rest of what this truck and what it has enabled our family to do. We even have a 22' RV coming at the end of the year . You know, the "starter" size

Old 07-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hope they fix it for you soon!

Old 07-17-2015, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrel
Update, 23 days later:
2. Glove box still not fixed. Factory told dealership to "try to service" before sending a replacement unit, so that's scheduled. My loaner is going to be an Enterprise rental, at their expense, for a single day, maybe two.
3. Door still not fixed. No clue if/when they are going to make good on that, if ever. Expected that they're backordered on parts for new trucks, so I'm just going to be patient on that one. I believe they'll make good, but I have to wait and see. Not a huge issue, my truck is still awesome despite all of this.

Holy crap I love this truck. There are all these naysayers and pundits, but this is a great ride even comparing to our 3 BMWs, 2 Volvos, 3 street-racing modified Japanese imports, a Dodge Pickup (technically my wife's, but I drove it plenty) and 1 Audi.

No bad glove box design will stop me from enjoying the rest of what this truck and what it has enabled our family to do. We even have a 22' RV coming at the end of the year . You know, the "starter" size
I love your positive attitude despite the circumstance. Hope it gets fixed before you get your 'starter' RV =)

Old 07-29-2015, 02:55 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrel
Update, 23 days later:
3. Door still not fixed. No clue if/when they are going to make good on that, if ever. Expected that they're backordered on parts for new trucks, so I'm just going to be patient on that one. I believe they'll make good, but I have to wait and see. Not a huge issue, my truck is still awesome despite all of this...
I'm glad you still love your truck, FlyingSquirrel! Any news to report from the dealership? If you need me to jump in and help, you know how to reach me.

Crystal

Old 07-31-2015, 09:41 AM
Cabin Filter

Did you ever find and take pictures of the cabin filter!!??

Quick Reply: This is what it looks like, when your new glove box falls apart