2015 - 2020 F-150

Awesome F-150 News...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 08:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 speed in a '17 then? I guess I can wait that long.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:29 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
woooopdeeedooo

Old 05-21-2015, 10:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like it could be a nice feature to have but I hope it doesn't become too wide spread. Watching the fights that start at a launch ramp because people can't back a trailer in is too much fun.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kind of like parking assist that is available now. Just a trick to show off with. I have not had the need to parallel park for a long time. If the trailer parking feature needs all the other options to be purchase also, big price tag. If you cant back a trailer, you should not be towing it. More bells and whistles.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:52 AM
Awesome! I don't necessarily need it, but it's still cool for those that do. I learned to drive backing a trailer down a boat ramp when I was 13.

The TruckTrend video says it requires a special sticker on the tongue of the trailer. Guess it doesn't work for fifth wheel/goose neck?

Old 05-21-2015, 01:50 PM
If only you could plug a couple of trailer mounted cameras into the screen in the dash to see what is behind your trailer while you are playing with the new trailer backup ****.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Rambo
Bingo. You nailed it!

Ford Unveils Pro Trailer Backup Assist for 2016 F-150

All-New Pro Trailer Backup Assist for 2016 Ford F-150 - YouTube

Pro Trailer Backup Assist for the 2016 Ford F-150 makes it easier for drivers of all skill levels to back a trailer up, such as when launching a boat or parking in a driveway. Using Pro Trailer Backup Assist, customers steer a trailer instinctively by turning a **** left or right to indicate trailer direction while the truck controls its steering and limits vehicle speed. Pro Trailer Backup Assist is the latest example of Ford changing the way the world moves-- delivering smart solutions that save time and improve the productivity of customers, so they can spend more time on the job or enjoying the lake.

Read more about it at PUTC: http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/05...016-f-150.html

https://twitter.com/mrlevine/status/601240716287803392
Sweet.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrel
2. A little steering wheel, next to the steering wheel, that only works when backing up?
Originally Posted by bkool2323
Just a trick to show off with. I have not had the need to parallel park for a long time. If the trailer parking feature needs all the other options to be purchase also, big price tag. If you cant back a trailer, you should not be towing it. More bells and whistles.

Not this again.

It's starting already. The 2015 guys will attack all the improvements on the 2016 and up trucks. Just like the 2008 guys did to the 2009 and the 2010 guys did to the 2011 and so on. It's gonna get ugly when the 2017 comes out with the 10 speed and new engines!

Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Awesome! I don't necessarily need it, but it's still cool for those that do. I learned to drive backing a trailer down a boat ramp when I was 13.
It's supposed to make backing up the trailer easier and faster with less maneuvering even if you know how.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:13 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
FWIW it sounds like it's a [slightly upgraded] regurgitation of the trailer assist the Ford developed under Land Rover and released in 2010.

It's a pain to setup, you have to add lots of specs of the trailer into the vehicle, and use the paper targets.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:35 PM
It has nothing to do with the green eyed monster. Every new model year will bring more improvements. That is what makes people buy new trucks. Very happy with my 2015. Personal preference is to back my trailer the old fashion way.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by bkool2323
If the trailer parking feature needs all the other options to be purchase also, big price tag.
It will be affordable and doesn't require anything you wouldn't already have. It is an option if you purchase either of the 2 trailer tow packages. If you don't want it, you don't buy it.

Originally Posted by Patman
It's a pain to setup, you have to add lots of specs of the trailer into the vehicle, and use the paper targets.
After eight years of in-house development and multiple patents, the trailer tech that debuted on the Atlas concept is finally ready for the prime time.

To protect the truck and trailer, Pro Trailer Backup Assist incorporates safeguards that will prevent the trailer from getting into an angle that can’t be recovered from and saving the rig from a jackknife situation or from going too fast. The system also detects hands on the wheel and sensing a driver intervention, will return full manual control to the driver immediately.

The technology works by attaching a special sticker “target” on the tongue of the trailer, then applying four crucial measurements used in the Pro Trailer Backup Assist algorithm. The measurements are: 1. The distance from the license plate to the center of the ball 2. The distance from the ball to the sticker 3. The distance from the camera lens to the center of the sticker 4. The distance from tailgate to the center of axle (or pivot point of multi-axle trailers) These measurements are entered through the Driver Information Center and once completed are assigned to a trailer that can be named by the driver.

A crucial part of the system, the supplied sticker, might not look like much but is an engineering marvel in its own right. Designed to be effective in all weather and light conditions, the sticker features both matte and gloss finishes on it and has even undergone extensive durability testing against peeling, cracking, and even UV fading. It will be interesting to see how the industry responds, as we can see trailer manufacturers including the sticker on new trailers if the technology takes off. Incidentally Ford will provide you will six stickers from the factory, while the truck will remember up to 10 trailers. As of now, Pro Trailer Backup Assist doesn’t work with gooseneck trailers, but we expect that to change in the near future, perhaps even by the time the all-new Super Duty launches next year.

Read more: http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1505-...#ixzz3andpdLjY

Old 05-21-2015, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by bluegreensf150
It's supposed to make backing up the trailer easier and faster with less maneuvering even if you know how.
I wasn't dissing it, I think it's cool and will be wonderful.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
I wasn't dissing it, I think it's cool and will be wonderful.
It's all good.

I think its funny some of these other guys buy brand new top of the line trucks with all kinds of bells and whistles, push button start, etc. are taking shots at a trailer backup assist. smh. I can't wait to hear more about the 2016 and 2017 models. It's gonna get ugly in here!

Old 05-21-2015, 04:53 PM
It's all good.

I think its funny some of these other guys buy brand new top of the line trucks with all kinds of bells and whistles, push button start, etc. are taking shots at a trailer backup assist. smh. I can't wait to hear more about the 2016 and 2017 models.
Agreed! All these tech goodies are really cool (though it can make a truck expensive)!

I've been an F150 fan for years, but due to my needs, I now drive an F250. I just hope some of these goodies trickle down (up?) to the F250 and up. And I can afford a new F250 in 2-3 years...

It's gonna get ugly in here!
Yes, yes it is!

Old 05-21-2015, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Rambo
We don't know what all will be on the 2016 but what we know SO FAR is:

1) CNG prep
2) Trailer Backup Assist (as seen on the Atlas)
3) SYNC 3 replaces MFT (big improvement, but only a rumor so far - not confirmed)
4) Shadow Black replaces Tuxedo Black
SYNC 3 for 2016 is now confirmed and shown in this video. Pause at the 3 sec mark.

Quick Reply: Awesome F-150 News...