2015 - 2020 F-150

Ford Cowling Gasket Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Cowling Gasket Issue

Have my truck for 30 days and noticed this happening today just below my windshield? Wonder what caused this? Forget the tree droppings.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:14 AM
You probably didn't notice it before. Has the dealership fixed it yet? As you know, the factory has been burning the candle at both ends to keep up with production. It's not beyond expectations that some fit and finish items might need reconditioning at the dealerships, which is what they're there for anyway

Old 05-12-2015, 10:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Built with pride by the UAW...

There's no excuse for things like this to even leave the factory. The weather strip sits between the two pieces to keep water out. It was put on sloppy and the worker had to have known it but didn't care enough to rework the part.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:47 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jml407
Have my truck for 30 days and noticed this happening today just below my windshield?...
Congrats on the truck, jml407! Swing by your dealership so they can take care of that for you; I know they'll want to make sure you're loving every inch of your new rig. I'll be here if you need me to step in and help.

Crystal

Old 05-13-2015, 06:55 PM
I have the exact same problem on my 2 week old F150. Looks just like yours. That and some paint issues.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:27 AM
What are the paint issues?

Old 05-14-2015, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by fliersguy
I have the exact same problem on my 2 week old F150. Looks just like yours. That and some paint issues.
Welcome to forum, fliersguy! I know your dealership will want to get these items addressed for you. Let me know when you decide to head in and I'll loop in your regional customer service manager. All I need to get the ball rolling is a PM from you with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Old 05-14-2015, 11:18 PM
I have 6 round spots in the hood about the size of a silver dollar that are very visible under fluorescent lighting. Harder to see in sunlight. I stopped in at the dealer the other day and we went ahead and looked at them. Sounds like Ford used some type of tool that removes small paint imperfections accounting for the circular spots? It looks like it is in the clear coat so I should not have too much trouble buffing them out. I told the dealer I want to do the work, I have multitudes of experience in detailing and frankly am not sure I can trust a body shop to do the job to my satisfaction.

I also pointed out two small paint chips in the drivers side passenger door down to the aluminum which they also looked at. They said it would require removing the door and handles, sanding re-spray and re-clear coat. Not going to happen on a brand new truck! I will attempt Dr. Color Chip and live with it.

I will say I'm on my 6th F150 through the years and this one has the best paint I've seen to date. It actually is absent orange peeling in the clear coat present in all of my other trucks. I did notice in the rear quarter panel behind the wheel in the crease along the bottom panel that the paint sprayed a bit light so the Blue Jeans paint is lighter in that section. Easy to see in sunlight. Again I am not real excited about painting or touching the finish on a two week old truck.

FordService I appreciate the your efforts, my dealer is willing to help out. I will PM you the requested information just as a heads up. Maybe the regional manager will want to see these small issues? The dealer has been very open to helping should I want. I just don't really want a re-paint of a door on a new truck, especially that dark navy blue.

No one did offer to do anything about the weather stripping that looks just like jml407's. Small issue again but....

Last edited by fliersguy; 05-14-2015 at 11:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-15-2015, 12:05 AM
The dealer is not fixing the stripping?

Old 05-15-2015, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by fliersguy
...FordService I appreciate the your efforts, my dealer is willing to help out. I will PM you the requested information just as a heads up...
Got it, fliersguy; thanks for reaching out!

Crystal

Old 05-18-2015, 04:09 PM
I have the same cowling issue and a few others. Taking the truck back to the dealer on Thursday.

I also have a noisy driver side automatic side step, tranny isn't shifting right going from 5th to 4th or 4th to 3rd. And... my check engine light came on. (1,500 miles on it).

Old 05-18-2015, 05:52 PM
Yikes! Let us know what the issues were when they fix!

Old 05-18-2015, 11:01 PM
Update - Brought it back to the dealer an they ordered the replacement parts.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by Dezigninmotion
I have the same cowling issue and a few others. Taking the truck back to the dealer on Thursday...
Hi Ken,

Great next step, I'm sure your dealer will be happy to get these quickly resolved for you. I'd like to alert your regional customer service manager as well. Send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll have them give you a call.

Originally Posted by jml407
Update - Brought it back to the dealer an they ordered the replacement parts.
I'm glad they're taking good care of you, jml407! If at any point you'd like me to escalate this for you, just send me a PM with the info I listed above.

Crystal

Old 05-21-2015, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi Ken,

Great next step, I'm sure your dealer will be happy to get these quickly resolved for you. I'd like to alert your regional customer service manager as well. Send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll have them give you a call.

Crystal
Just sent you a message Crystal.

Quick Reply: Ford Cowling Gasket Issue