2015 - 2020 F-150

2015 5.0's

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 01:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 5.0's

Is anyone here driving the 5.0 or has everyone switched to the EB? I just want to know what your deciding factors are in picking the 5.0 to the 3.5 or 2.7 EB.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:28 AM
1. I should have chosen the 2.7EB for the gas mileage. My 2015 is going to be a daily driver + farm truck + family recreation vehicle + occasionally towing a small camper trailer long distances across rocky states. The only thing that gave me pause was perception that the 2.7L is really damn small. Not weak, but small . Didn't _sound_ like a truck engine to me though my brain knows the numbers this thing can turn out.

2. However, I chose the 3.5EB. This is my first truck and my first American vehicle. My last 6 cars were BMWs and Audis. The 3.5EB was the largest engine that got about the same gas mileage as my cars (the way I drive them). I didn't exactly know what I was doing, but had heard good things about the engine and decided to go for it. The only upside (it's not faster than the 2.7) is that this will be working on a home construction site for the next year, clearing, pulling out stumps, and towing a larger trailer than I had planned with the 2.7 (thanks to the wife). I hope the bigger engine pays off vs. just costing me more gas.

3. The 5.0 was out of the question for my first truck purchase. I thought I wanted a diesel because we are going to qualify for farm rules that give us access to cheaper diesel pricing. However, the ecoboost torque and engine weight vs. the Dodge and Chevy V8s made it unique when coupled with this new Aluminum body. I love turbos and love engine tech, so I just had to try the V6 for my first truck. Also when I found out that w/o towing the V6 could take 87 octane fuel, I was ecstatic. Cost wise, I'm actually going to do a bit better in the fuel expense department vs. my current car that wants 92 octane.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FlyingSquirrel, it will be interesting to see how your assumptions play out after a year of ownership. I'm not saying you are wrong, but perceptions are funny things.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by WoodsTruck
FlyingSquirrel, it will be interesting to see how your assumptions play out after a year of ownership. I'm not saying you are wrong, but perceptions are funny things.
Same here. I made a blind choice based totally on gut feelings and reviews of the 3.5L EB. Again, the 2.7L sounds like the engine I should have chosen, but I really wanted that manly truck while at the same time keeping the turbos for more torque and less weight.

I'll report back after our first fishing trip through Montana.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:33 PM
Nice. I took my '08 to Montana to fish with my Dad. He soon after bought an '09.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:28 AM
I got the 5.0L. Mainly because in the area I'm at there are a lot of mountains and the Ecoboost gas savings is negated because of it constantly going into boost to get up the inclines. I get the same gas mileage as all the guys driving ecoboosts around here (sometimes better).

That and coming from owning several Mustangs I just like the sound and feel of the 5.0L better. A quick Livernois tune, exhaust, and new air filter and the truck is already a beast and for cheaper than what you pay to get the engine upgrade to the Ecoboost from the factory.

That being said a quick tune on an Ecoboost makes it an even bigger monster too.

Either way you will be happy, just don't buy it for gas mileage in mountainous terrain.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:05 PM
I second camulos as well i had an EB and boost is nice sure, but it sucks your gas dry I KNOW THIS lol, and its so tempting to stay in that boost . I have the 5.0L this time around i absolutely LOVE IT! I feel the EB decision the first time around felt like i was following a trend they promoted good gas mileage and all the luxuries of a turbo. But when you use the boost you suffer in mpg anyway so i dont quite get that. Not to mention i swear they get the numbers for MPG driving on the moon or something they are never accurate it seems. The numbers you see on the sticker are at 50 mph.... lol

Old 05-12-2015, 09:10 PM
Every real world story I hear has the 5.0 getting at least as good mpg as EB.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:21 AM
I'm not trying to poke the bear with the EB owners, but I bought my wife an Explorer with the 2.0 EB. Nice rig but even on the highway when you tip into the throttle to make it do anything, even pulling a slight grade, the mileage drops quickly. I bought my '12 a couple months later and went 5.0 for that reason. I work in the woods with mine so I'm continually pulling hills (empty but still 6400#) and guys that I know that went EB are getting about 2 mpg average less than I am doing the same work. I'm looking forward to more gears in the transmission when I upgrade and I will likely get higher gears in the pumpkins next time to see if I can't get my mileage up towards that 20 number. I thought I remembered the FLT video when they tested the 2.7 towing the yellow Bronco that they figured they were getting about 3.x mpg up the grade. That number doesn't excite me for towing my enclosed sled trailer in the winter.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:48 AM
I thought I remembered the FLT video when they tested the 2.7 towing the yellow Bronco that they figured they were getting about 3.x mpg up the grade. That number doesn't excite me for towing my enclosed sled trailer in the winter.
Do you normally tow your sled trailer loaded to 7k+ lbs nearly flat out up an incline? Is your driving 100% up steep hills trying to maintain a speed of 65 MPH? Or do you sometimes drive on flat land and DOWN hills?

Seriously, you can't equate that 3.x MPG to everyday driving. That was an extreme scenario that lasted for a few minutes.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:29 AM
TFL towing the yellow truck:

2015 2.7L F-150 6 speed got 4.3 mpg.
http://www.tfltruck.com/2015/02/2015...-towing-video/

2015 Silverado 6.2L 8 speed got 4.3 mpg.
http://www.tfltruck.com/2015/03/2015...-towing-video/

The 2.7L was also the fastest truck they have ever tested 0-60. It gives you great mpg’s and better performance then the most powerful on paper 1/2 ton truck.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Hereford F150
Every real world story I hear has the 5.0 getting at least as good mpg as EB.

Here is a link to another thread I was discussing with some EB guys.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...i-order-2.html

Old 05-13-2015, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Do you normally tow your sled trailer loaded to 7k+ lbs nearly flat out up an incline? Is your driving 100% up steep hills trying to maintain a speed of 65 MPH? Or do you sometimes drive on flat land and DOWN hills?
No, I really don't. I'm a bit concerned that my towing mileage would not be any better than my towing mileage of a 5.0. I would imagine that a smaller displacement engine is going to require some significant boost to generate the power to make it happen.

I had planned to tow a 4 place with 5 sleds and 4 guys from western Oregon to Montana last winter and would be concerned that the 2.7 might drink more fuel was all I was after since I have yet to see a long distance towing mileage review. I imagine they might be out there now, but what I find is all empty driving or max throttle up the hill.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:25 PM
No, I really don't. I'm a bit concerned that my towing mileage would not be any better than my towing mileage of a 5.0. I would imagine that a smaller displacement engine is going to require some significant boost to generate the power to make it happen.

I had planned to tow a 4 place with 5 sleds and 4 guys from western Oregon to Montana last winter and would be concerned that the 2.7 might drink more fuel was all I was after since I have yet to see a long distance towing mileage review. I imagine they might be out there now, but what I find is all empty driving or max throttle up the hill.
That may very well be the case. I just think it's funny that people base a buying decision on the fuel economy of a truck pulling a loaded trailer up an extremely steep incline for < 10 minutes.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:23 AM
Thanks for all your input. I ended up getting the 5.0. The rumble is addicting. LOL.

Quick Reply: 2015 5.0's