Lariat Ordered, Dealer Shennanigans :)

Old 04-15-2015, 03:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lariat Ordered, Dealer Shennanigans :)

Ordered: 2015 F-150 Lariat Supercrew w/ 6'6" bed
X-Plan Estimate: $54.7K
MSRP Estimate: $61.9K

Literally every option minus:
  • Upgraded wheels (going with XD Series Monster IIs and Cooper or BFGoodrich ATs).
  • Spray in bed liner. Been reading about the aliphatic material vs. Line-X composition and decided to go with Line-X Premium or higher instead.
  • None of the storage or loading accessories beyond the 3 different built-in step options (deployable rails, box steps, tailgate step)

HOWEVER
Dealer is trying to add $2167 for:
  • Fuel Charge $91.44 <-- should I deliver my trade with NO gas?
  • Advertising Assessment ($881) <-- lol, really?
  • Destination & Delivery ($1195) <-- okay, this might just be the norm

Which completely negates the $2000 in discounts for:
  • Lariat Lux Chrome ($1500)
  • Tech/Park/Cruise ($500)

Has anyone successfully negotiated those off the X-Plan pricing?

Old 04-15-2015, 10:15 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Destination charge is invoiced by Ford and is legit. Fuel and advertising may be another story. X-plan is very specific about what the dealer can do, doc fees are limited to no more than $100.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's when I'd ask the dealership if they want to sell me a truck or play games because I ain't doing both. I have had then try stuff like that with me before and 99% of the time they'll blink first. One time my sister was looking for a car and we had narrowed it down to three options and were at the haggling point. The sales manager was going to add a $500+ paperwork fee to the sale. I looked at him and said "Not if you wanna sell that car." He replied, "If you want it it's the price plus the fee." My response was, "******* you and your fee!" And promptly started towards the door. The next day they were calling her and offered to waive the fee but we had already bought something else. That was the first of three times I've used that phrase on the a sales manager at that dealership. If you hold your ground they will relent because in most cases there's 5 more dealers within 50 miles. They have the choice of loosing a few hundred dollars or the entire sale. A lot of people won't fight them so it's an easy way to add a good chunk of change to the transaction.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:01 PM
glc
If you have already ordered it, you are at the mercy of the dealer unless you want to lose your deposit, unfortunately.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrel
HOWEVER
Dealer is trying to add $2167 for:
  • Fuel Charge $91.44 <-- should I deliver my trade with NO gas?
  • Advertising Assessment ($881) <-- lol, really?
  • Destination & Delivery ($1195) <-- okay, this might just be the norm

Has anyone successfully negotiated those off the X-Plan pricing?
These fees are added to every vehicle sold.

You'll need to negotiate without X-Plan if you want to avoid those fees. But you may not be any better off because you'll be swapping one fee for another and there are little dealer discounts at this time.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:25 PM
glc
So, all 3 charges are legitimate with X-plan?

If you are being charged $91.44 for fuel, you need to insist on the truck being delivered with a full tank of gas!

Old 04-15-2015, 05:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by glc
If you have already ordered it, you are at the mercy of the dealer unless you want to lose your deposit, unfortunately.
Not true. The deposit is refundable. You can back out of the truck for any reason and get your deposit back.

Many dealerships don't even require a deposit.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:50 PM
glc
That's not what I was told a couple years ago at my local Ford store when I was contemplating ordering a Fusion with a manual transmission - they told me $1000 nonrefundable because they wouldn't be able to sell it if I backed out.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the dealership has the option to take a deposit if they want to. It all comes down to if they are worried about selling it if you back out. When I ordered my truck I put a $500 refundable deposit down on it. That was to make sure the paperwork already showed a sale pending on it. Other dealerships said they wouldn't require a deposit since my truck would be pretty easy to sell. A manual Fusion on the other hand might sit on the lot for a while and require a heafty discount before it sold.

As for the extra fees, I don't think they can charge you for them with the X-Plan. I would check the paperwork very carefully. If the dealer gets caught doing plans wrong they can get into hot water with FoMoCo.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:07 PM
X-Plan pricing formula:
Invoice (includes destination, advertising, fuel) - X-Plan discount + $275. admin fee = X-Plan

(plus dealer is not permitted to charge more than $100 for doc fees)

See examples here: https://www.fordpartner.com/partnerw...an_invoice.pdf

Last edited by Rambo; 04-15-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:36 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Limited doc fee so they came up with the same thing called admin fee!

The last time I dealt with the Ford Dealer in my town was when I bought a used Miata for my son. I felt like I needed a bath to get the scum off me when I left the dealership.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:37 PM
The last time I bought a new truck, there was a line item for 5 US Gallons of gas @ around $3/gal. and the dealer paid the cost to fill it up the rest of the way. That 5-gal. figure was on the invoice or the DORA, I don't remember which. The FDAF (advertising) fees and shipping will be on the invoice. Ask to be shown where Ford is charging $91.44 for a fill-up and shipping the truck with 36 gallons of gas in it. If things haven't changed and it isn't on the official paperwork then your dealer is using that charge to pad their bottom line.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by glc
That's not what I was told a couple years ago at my local Ford store when I was contemplating ordering a Fusion with a manual transmission - they told me $1000 nonrefundable because they wouldn't be able to sell it if I backed out.
I don't think they can legally hold you to that. At least that is my understanding. I could be wrong though...

Old 04-15-2015, 10:01 PM
glc
They can hold me to that if I sign a contract that states so. This dealer will not order vehicles for stock with manual transmissions or in any colors except the most popular basic colors, so if you want something that doesn't fit pretty close with that they do not want to be stuck with it.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Not true. The deposit is refundable. You can back out of the truck for any reason and get your deposit back.

Many dealerships don't even require a deposit.
WA state law does not allow deposits to be non-refundable for vehicle orders. They won't tell you that, but I can walk away from it and get my check back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lariat Ordered, Dealer Shennanigans :)