2015 - 2020 F-150

2015 5.0 or 3.5 Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 03:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rgonyer
...Given that, yes, I was leaning towards the 5.0 because there are simply just LESS PARTS TO FAIL. Neither engine has been around long enough to get a lot of data on 100,000 mile plus reliability, and certainly not the 2.7 EB...
Hold on there sparkly. Start adding up the total number of parts and you'll quickly find out a DOHC V8 has a bunch of moving parts in the top end and a good number more in the bottom. Now look a turbo, there's only a few parts in it. It's all done based on air movement and expansion. It's dirt simple.

If we want to start talking about fancy papers I have one with my name and Mechanical Engineer on it...

Old 02-10-2015, 03:26 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, Jim....Would you consider me a "clown" or "hyena"?

As MGD said, it sure looked to me like the OP had already made up his mind and was simply seeking validation; To the point where, even after MGD had provided objective and factual real-world evidence, the OP continued to defend his already-made-up mind. Then, the OP asked for factual, objective input even after having been provided said.

Personally, I think that's going about things backwards.

I suppose it's OK for MGD or anyone else trying to help to get frustrated by folks either ignoring or dismissing the good info provided, but it's not OK for someone to get chapped for being called out on it?

Besides, why is everybody so damn serious? Life is WAY too short to get all out of sorts for being questioned or even "ripped". (By the way, OP...if you think that's being "ripped", ye ain't seen nuffin' yet! ) Over the 13 years I've been here, I've been questioned, razzed, called out, told off, and ripped on here more times than I can count. But guess what. 13 years later, I'm still here.

How can I possibly put up with such reproach and persecution, you ask? It's really quite simple. Either laugh at meseff (and the feller whut called me out) and go on, stand my ground and argue my case (then laugh at mesefff and the feller whut called me out) and go on, or just ignore it (while laughing at meseff and the feller whut called me out) and go on. It ain't rocket science, it ain't life and death, and it surely ain't worth loosing sleep over.

At any rate, the only reason I even read this thread is because I've owned both engines, and I figured I could help. However, it sure looked like he'd already made up his mind and was fishing for someone to say the 5.0 was superior to the terrible EB. I personally don't care for that approach because 9 times out of 10, it doesn't matter what anyone says anyway.

It wasn't like a "hyena" smelling fresh meat.

Anyway, best of luck to you, OP. Don't rush it. Research, research, research. Test drive all the available trucks and option configurations as much as you can. When the new truck smell is gone six months down the road, you don't want to regret yer decision.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:52 PM
One thing the 5.0 has over the ECo's is the exhaust sounds better when you upgrade it. I have not heard any ECO's that sounded normal. And I say normal as in what a traditional truck sounds like with a ballsy exhaust on it. Prior to the ECO I always associated turbos with cars. It's kind of a mind game thing with me. I would be interested in driving an ECO. I do love the power of the 5.0 though. Not that an ECO is any less of a truck.

Are you afraid the 2.7 won't have enough power? It sounds that way (it was my first thought too when I first heard of the 2.7) by your preference for the 3.5 or 5.0.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:59 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by Blue150
One thing the 5.0 has over the ECo's is the exhaust sounds better when you upgrade it. I have not heard any ECO's that sounded normal. And I say normal as in what a traditional truck sounds like with a ballsy exhaust on it. Prior to the ECO I always associated turbos with cars. It's kind of a mind game thing with me. I would be interested in driving an ECO. I do love the power of the 5.0 though. Not that an ECO is any less of a truck.

Are you afraid the 2.7 won't have enough power? It sounds that way (it was my first thought too when I first heard of the 2.7) by your preference for the 3.5 or 5.0.
I agree with you about the exhaust thing. And if you love the power of the 5.0, you'd be beside yeseff o'er the EB. Just sayin'.

Love yer new truck, BTW! Congrats!

Old 02-10-2015, 04:06 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
To the OP: For your needs, I'd even consider a base 3.5 NA if you found one in a truck you liked.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by DewserB
I agree with you about the exhaust thing. And if you love the power of the 5.0, you'd be beside yeseff o'er the EB. Just sayin'.

Love yer new truck, BTW! Congrats!
Thanks! I am waiting on the 5.0 EcoBeast in a regular cab AWD

Old 02-10-2015, 07:58 PM
glc
Thanks! I am waiting on the 5.0 EcoBeast in a regular cab AWD
Don't hold your breath. Maybe a 3.5 Eco but I highly doubt that Ford will factory turbocharge any V-8.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by glc
To the OP: For your needs, I'd even consider a base 3.5 NA if you found one in a truck you liked.
Yeah I haven't even seen one of those yet. I think for the most part dealers are ordering higher end trucks for the lots. Lots of 5.0's, lots of 3.5EB's, and of course the one with the options I really want is a 2.7EB but that's the only 2.7 I've seen on my search.

We just watched our 2007 FX4 drive away I have to admit it was kind of sad. 85,000 miles, no accidents, and plenty of nice upgrades. Some really nice folks bought it though, so I'm sure they will really enjoy it.

Meanwhile, pics of the new machine will be posted when I get all this figured out! I leave for Germany on Saturday for a week for work, hopefully we'll have something lined up by the time I get back.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:46 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Sorry, Patman - that taxi has a 4.6.

http://www.customclassics.net/auto-r...d=152433297037
Apparently you missed out on my sarcasm. That movie is from like 2004 IIRC, no way it would have been a 5.0 Coyote

Old 02-10-2015, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Don't hold your breath. Maybe a 3.5 Eco but I highly doubt that Ford will factory turbocharge any V-8.
We'll see. Im going to recommend it to them to bring back the Lightning.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:42 PM
glc
If they bring back the Lightning it will probably have the 3.5 Raptor EB.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by glc
If they bring back the Lightning it will probably have the 3.5 Raptor EB.
I'll take that.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:37 PM
Looks like there will be an EB in my future, the 2.7 va-rye-uh-tee (Sorry, couldn't help it and I just threw up a little bit)! As long as my dealer can make the trade (Oh please make it work!) I'm kinda tired of reading comparisons at this point, but the perfect truck (minus the exhaust notes of the 5.0 ) has presented itself.

Every option I would have selected on a custom order was there, and there's enough respect online for the 2.7 that we're going to put our faith in Ford and give it a shot. Wish us luck! The deal isn't done yet, our salesman has to convince the other dealer to give up their truck for a beautiful crew that he has on the lot. Shouldn't be tough since most everyone seems to be after crews.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:43 AM
Congrats on the truck. I hope everything goes well. Is it a SuperCab?

Old 02-11-2015, 08:00 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Congrats on the truck. I hope everything goes well. Is it a SuperCab?
^^^ X2!

I'll second that! Best o' luck! Please do report back how ye like it.

Regards;
Ol' Bubber - the Friendly Clown

Quick Reply: 2015 5.0 or 3.5 Ecoboost