2015 5.0 or 3.5 Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 05:48 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Fek me Ded!!!

Howdy thar, Big D!

Fellers - the Big Gun is 'ere. Hide ye wimmin! OP - best ye go find thet rock ye came out'unner frum. Pre-tend ye's all invis'ble-like.

PS - Dang! Didje reckon we's dun 'jacked this hyur thread? Awww.... booHoo!
Why hidy thar, Bubber!

Yer jist too nay-burley 'n modest. Yer ever-bit as cantankerous as me 'n ye knows it!

Thread-crapped ye say? Well let's see hyur.... I reckon we can refer to the un-orifice-shul F150online guidelines fer whut makes fer a good, ol-fayshun thread-crappin':

OP gits butt-hurt (preferably a Millennial) - Check
MGD contributes - Check
Wookie contributes - Check
Dewserb contributes - Check
Jbrew contributes - No

'Cordin' to the un-orifice-shul rulebook, ye only hafta have 4 outta 5 to declare a thread orifice-shully crapped. I'd say this'n qualifies!

Last edited by DewserB; 02-09-2015 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Cain't count, lol!
Old 02-09-2015, 06:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm proud to be a part of the Millennial smack down crew. Ain't no participation trophies here!

Old 02-09-2015, 06:26 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie
I'm proud to be a part of the Millennial smack down crew. Ain't no participation trophies here!
Hell - ol' Bubber's jes' proud 'n honoured t' be droolin' in the same stew wif ye two Masters o' Mischief & Merriment!

MGD

Old 02-09-2015, 06:39 PM
I love my 5.0. I can hit it from a dead stand still and it never stops pulling. Maybe its the 3.31 gears out back but I love the power. Get what you want and everyone else be damned! You have to make the payments.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:47 PM
Old 02-09-2015, 06:54 PM
^lol!!

Old 02-09-2015, 09:54 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Oh boy, you've gone and opened a HUGE can of worms here!
Ain't that the truth! Too bad it has to be that way. Don't listen to any of the EB or 5.0 fanboys here, buy what you want. There are advantages and disadvantages to both engines.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:13 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie

I'm still waiting on the list of Coyote equipped taxis and service vehicles...
You mean this one?

Old 02-10-2015, 01:24 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Old 02-10-2015, 10:59 AM
For those of you that actually added some good, real world first hand input, I appreciate it.

To answer some of the questions, yes I was incorrect about the 5.0 being used in taxis and police vehicles, my bad. I made a mistake which I'm sure none of you have ever done.

I'm over 40 and have owned a '96 F150 V6, '98 F150 5.4 (used), 2003 F150 4.6, 2007 F150 5.4. I'm not new to trucks, but I haven't been in the market since 2007 so I haven't really kept up on them until I was made an offer I couldn't refuse on my 2007. So yes, I'm in a bit of a rush to pick up another vehicle soon since there is no way our Mustang is coming out in the salty winter weather. I'll be able to keep our current truck for a few weeks while we sort it out, but thought I'd look for some thoughtful input.

This thread has done exactly what I wanted - it's proven that there really isn't a wrong choice. There is no "absolutely don't buy an ecoboost" or "absolutely don't buy the 5.0" aside from those that need to back up their own choices by belittling others choices. Simply pointing out a few failure threads on one specific engine proves absolutely nothing as you can find those types of threads for every vehicle/engine/product that has ever been mass produced.

For those that sit around all day just to rip up other people, I sure wish I had the kind of free time you seem to do. The high schoolish behavior from adults absolutely boggles my mind. But if that's what it takes to get you through the day, I guess that's your business.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:32 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I really appreciate your being able to sort out the clowns so well. Some look for opportunities to polish their act, and it offends to the point a poster does not come back. Hope you choose to stick around.

Odds are good that which ever engine you end up with, it will be a good one. Drive them both and see if you like one over the other.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:48 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I really appreciate your being able to sort out the clowns so well. Some look for opportunities to polish their act, and it offends to the point a poster does not come back. Hope you choose to stick around.

Odds are good that which ever engine you end up with, it will be a good one. Drive them both and see if you like one over the other.
Oh, how soon ye fergit...

Three separate members independently suspected that the OP had already decided prior to posting ( which infers he was indeed trolling ).

Yer apparent support fer same is somewhat troubling.

That being said, this alleged 'clown' still would wish the OP all the best and sincerely hopes his future truck purchase is a trouble-free one.

Adult truck forums mandate somewhat thicker skins than most, a 'tongue-in-cheek' demeanor, a modicum of tolerance and a heapin' heppin' o resilience.

Regards;
MGD

Old 02-10-2015, 01:15 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I fail to see what difference it makes if he were leaning toward one or the other. Maybe he was looking for validation or whatever. His post was legitimate, and unless one has something to offer that contributes, it's best one keeps quiet, in my opinion. Too many new members never comeback due to the take over of their thread by smartass answers.

You are a wealth of knowledge and most often, you give great advice then other times you jump right in the middle of someone for little excuse. That then brings out the hyenas. Just my humble view, but this OP was one that handled it well and I am glad to see that.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Oh, how soon ye fergit...

Three separate members independently suspected that the OP had already decided prior to posting ( which infers he was indeed trolling ).

Yer apparent support fer same is somewhat troubling.

That being said, this alleged 'clown' still would wish the OP all the best and sincerely hopes his future truck purchase is a trouble-free one.

Adult truck forums mandate somewhat thicker skins than most, a 'tongue-in-cheek' demeanor, a modicum of tolerance and a heapin' heppin' o resilience.

Regards;
MGD
Absolutely I was leaning towards the 5.0.

I'm a a degreed electrical engineer and I like to make decisions based on fact. Suspect all you want, but you're still ripping my **** based on your apparent suspicion of me being a "troll".

My searches over the weekend didn't indicate any major preference for one engine over the other so I decided to come to a knowledgeable forum to see if I got the same kind of responses, and aside from yours and one or two others, I did get useful input that really backs up what I found on my own.

That being the case, with all else being equal (and without being a mechanical engineer with deep understandings of the design of both engines) there is no way for me to make a 100% fact based decision on reliability which is my #1 concern since there doesn't seem to be large amounts of abnormal failures for either engine.

Given that, yes, I was leaning towards the 5.0 because there are simply just LESS PARTS TO FAIL. Neither engine has been around long enough to get a lot of data on 100,000 mile plus reliability, and certainly not the 2.7 EB.

However, since my needs don't require great towing or hauling ability very often, and I've driven and like both, I'll probably go with the one that can be located by my dealer with the closest set of options I want.

It's funny, if I was here just to be a troll, what would have been different if you had just let this thread slide? I would have got all the good replies, none of your useless ones, and everyone would have been happy. In addition, you would have had some time to go do something other than hang out on an internet forum and guard it from the "Trolls".

Just my opinion. The dealer just located the exact truck i wanted, but it has the 2.7 Eco. I wish it was the 5.0 or 3.5, I'd have him grab it right away. The 2.7 is just too new for me to give it a shot which is unfortunate, because it would likely do everything we need it to.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rgonyer
Just my opinion. The dealer just located the exact truck i wanted, but it has the 2.7 Eco. I wish it was the 5.0 or 3.5, I'd have him grab it right away. The 2.7 is just too new for me to give it a shot which is unfortunate, because it would likely do everything we need it to.
Ford has tested this engine more than you could ever imagine. Look at how well the 3.5L did when released. Yes, it had some issues, but overall, it has been rock solid. And it was COMPLETELY new! This 2.7L builds off lessons learned with that engine. Don't let the truck you like slide by because it has a different engine. I wouldn't be afraid of the 2.7L at all.

Of course, it's your money and your truck. Good luck!

Quick Reply: 2015 5.0 or 3.5 Ecoboost