2015 - 2020 F-150

Build your own, negotiating price question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build your own, negotiating price question

My question is, if you build your F150 to your personal specs and have one built with only the options you want opposed to picking a truck off the lot; do you hold any leverage when negotiating a price? Or, are you pretty much paying MSRP minus any available rebate and incentives?

Old 01-28-2015, 10:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is always a deal to be made. I ordered a truck in 2006 and bought it for $500 over invoice.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:30 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Dealers are usually willing to deal more when they can move something that's in stock sitting on the lot. However, they won't hold out for MSRP unless it's a limited production vehicle that's under allocation and demand exceeds supply.

Tip: Buy 100 shares of Ford stock. That will set you back about $1500. After 6 months you can get a X-plan PIN which gets you pricing right around invoice without haggling.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tell them you want to place an order and you want to pay invoice. If they don't, call the next dealer. Seriously, the good thing about ordering is that you aren't limited by what is on THEIR lot...you can buy the exact same thing from any dealer.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:18 AM
^^^
That's a good deal for them too. They get to sell a new vehicle right off the delivery truck and have their money before Ford even bills them for the vehicle. Don't forget to include language such as "at invoice less all applicable rebates/incentives" in your deal.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:43 PM
I actually went to TrueCar & built one on there exactly as I wanted it & took that certificate to the dealer they identified to order that truck at that price. The only modification to that price at the time it arrives will be any changes in incentives that may have expired or activated. It was a pretty slick way to do it & the quote was actually below invoice.
If you're ordering one now, be advised your truck will take a few weeks longer to build if you order the integrated loading ramps since they're on backorder at the factory. I had the dealership remove that option from my build & will get them from the Parts dept once they come in.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by NitroSport
I actually went to TrueCar & built one on there exactly as I wanted it & took that certificate to the dealer they identified to order that truck at that price. The only modification to that price at the time it arrives will be any changes in incentives that may have expired or activated. It was a pretty slick way to do it & the quote was actually below invoice.
If you're ordering one now, be advised your truck will take a few weeks longer to build if you order the integrated loading ramps since they're on backorder at the factory. I had the dealership remove that option from my build & will get them from the Parts dept once they come in.
Where are you from? How much below invoice did the dealership go? Which model?

Sorry, I'm nosey

Old 01-29-2015, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by cdiddy4224
Where are you from? How much below invoice did the dealership go? Which model?

Sorry, I'm nosey
Haha no worries. It's an ingot silver platinum. I think the TC price was $500 under invoice. Keep in mind that doesn't include Tax, License, etc. I'm on the West Coast.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by NitroSport
Haha no worries. It's an ingot silver platinum. I think the TC price was $500 under invoice. Keep in mind that doesn't include Tax, License, etc. I'm on the West Coast.
You buy from Galpin? I'm on the west coast as well.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:56 PM
No, I'm up North. Ordered from a smaller dealership up here.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:33 PM
When I bought my first F150 in 2005 I realized F150's regularly sell for at or below invoice if the buyer is informed. Now this doesn't take into account new model releases but if your buying mid-year or so you should be able to get one at or below invoice no matter what trim or options package you want.

It would seem a no-brainer to use X-Plan pricing if you qualify but X-Plan pricing is never under invoice. It's usually a few hundred over invoice. An informed buyer can get below X-Plan pricing. X-Plan will eliminate the sometimes agonizing aspect of negotiating with the dealer as the price is set by Ford and not the dealer. Every vehicle when produced has a X-Plan price tied to its VIN #. Just ask the dealer to see the document. If you qualify for X-Plan and the dealer is willing to accept X-Plan pricing (they don't have to) they must show you the document. All that's left is to haggle is your trade price if you have a trade.

In my situation in 2005 I used X-Plan only because there was a $500 X-Plan rebate available. This effectively priced the truck a few hundred under invoice.

Also note most vehicle manufacturers have small price increases throughout the year. A truck built at the beginning of the year may be priced a few hundred more than a truck that is exactly the same that was built towards the end of the year. I saved $500 on a 2010 F150 because my dealer found one built at the end of 2009 that was still available in July 2010. Make your dealer work. It can save you money.

F150's are a dime a dozen. It's been the best selling vehicle for something like 36 years. I'm convinced this is why they can be bought regularly under invoice. They are for sale everywhere.

Last edited by Forrest_F150; 01-29-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:33 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
X-plan is 0.4% under invoice plus $275, and doc fee is limited to $100 or state law, whichever is lower.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:57 AM
Auto sales has become a cutthroat business, so the best part about X-Plan is not having to pay unreasonable "doc fees" some dealers charge. You'd be surprised--at $100 any dealer will make out OK cost-wise, but read the fine pint in the auto ads some day. Not that I'd buy one, but some low-priced import car dealers jack those fees up to $400 and often more, screwing those who are least able to afford them

Old 01-30-2015, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by glc
X-plan is 0.4% under invoice plus $275, and doc fee is limited to $100 or state law, whichever is lower.
In 2005 and 2010 it was $300 or so over invoice.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by GoingGoingGone
Auto sales has become a cutthroat business, so the best part about X-Plan is not having to pay unreasonable "doc fees" some dealers charge. You'd be surprised--at $100 any dealer will make out OK cost-wise, but read the fine pint in the auto ads some day. Not that I'd buy one, but some low-priced import car dealers jack those fees up to $400 and often more, screwing those who are least able to afford them
I always refuse the doc fees to the point of telling the dealer it will kill the deal. They always cave in. There are a ton of Ford dealers out there and a ton of F150's. If they are willing to lose the deal then I'm more than happy to go elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Build your own, negotiating price question