2015 - 2020 F-150

2015 F150 Hit with a sledge hammer.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 05:02 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Pockets
Come on he hit that pretty darn hard. I don't think anybody can argue that. The truck is shaking after the hit.

I think it proves that the aluminum is pretty darn tough. As for the point, I suppose it shows that it's more costly to fix AL but we all knew that already.

I have insurance so I really don't give a hoot. A deductible is there for a reason.
^^^ Bill already did: https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ml#post5130738

Shoot - I can git my truck to shake just by kickin' the tahrs

MGD

Old 01-28-2015, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Galpin Motors Ford or whoever is quoting is overcharging. A dealer on another forum quoted $20 more per hour to fix aluminum. $68 steel. $88 aluminum. So at 10 hours that's only $200 more apples to apples (same size dent.)

Old 01-28-2015, 08:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Best part is seeing someone strike a brand new vehicle that he was tickled inside to hit since it isn't his bill .

Everyone knows aluminum is better and lasts longer, thus, its a no brainer it will cost more to work with. Glad they made this video, completely worth everyone's time .

Old 01-29-2015, 07:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Good side: if you don't fix the Al version, it won't rust!
That's the big myth. And as already has been (correctly) stated, both aluminum and steel corrode. On steel it's called rust. On aluminum it's called oxidation or white salt corrosion. If aluminum didn't corrode / oxidize, it wouldn't need any kind of surface finish other than for appearance. To prove this point, take a look at the aluminum components on your engine if you drive in an area where they use road salt. You'll see plenty of oxidation since manufacturers don't apply finishes to most of that stuff since it's out of sight. (My 2005 and 2010 F-150's were downright ugly under there after a couple of years.)

As for aluminum vs. steel in the videos, I'd suggest that either material hit the exact same way would require reasonably serious body work. In fact I was kind of surprised they didn't just replace the quarter panel. Many times it's easier to do that than to try to straighten that much deformation. But the plain fact shown was that from a pure labor hour standpoint, aluminum took twice as many labor hours to fix as an identical steel panel. Somewhere that's going to translate into higher insurance premiums.

On a brighter note, I think you'll see many (if not most) other manufacturers going the exact same route with aluminum body panels. Once the collision repair industry moves up the learning curve a bit, the cost of repairing aluminum will come down.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2stroked
But the plain fact shown was that from a pure labor hour standpoint, aluminum took twice as many labor hours to fix as an identical steel panel.
But that wasn't shown! It was anticipated, but it wasn't a fact as we don't have a repair of a steel panel to compare it to.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
But that wasn't shown! It was anticipated, but it wasn't a fact as we don't have a repair of a steel panel to compare it to.
Repair costs for steel panels are very well known. The cost to repair aluminum is still in flux, but will start out somewhat higher. And as I said, it will come down as collision shops become more familiar with it.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Repair costs for steel panels are very well known.
Sure they are, but you can't compare an estimate to repair this aluminum panel as if it were steel to the actual cost to fix the aluminum panel. Really, you need to beat a steel panel with a sledgehammer and have it fixed to get an apples to apples comparison.

The cost to repair aluminum is still in flux, but will start out somewhat higher. And as I said, it will come down as collision shops become more familiar with it.
Agreed.

This stunt was all to drive traffic to their site by attempting to make the Al panel look more expensive. Nothing more, nothing less. The only thing factual was the amount it cost to get this body shop to repair this damage on this truck on this particular day. That's about all you can really learn from their 'experiment.'

Old 01-29-2015, 12:48 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
A steel bedside would have been completely compromised with a hit like that, much less two hits. Steel bed side would been skinned and replaced the whole panel. And not body work the dent. Not really comparing apples to apples here.

It's more like apples to skittles. They both are fruit flavored, that's about it

That being said the aluminum appeared to absorb the impact very very well.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i more than understand the extra time to repair aluminum.

What i dont understand is that the labor rate is x2 as much...why?

i can understand that possible certain employee had training and that cost must be made up..but 2 x as much?

do you think they are paying that employee 15 or $30 more per hour..doubt it.

special equipment...what is it?

feel like the dealer and body shops are double dipping and taking advantage of the situation. maybe i am missing something??

Old 01-29-2015, 07:13 PM
Global Moderator &

Aluminum takes special training, welding, different metal working skill. Not to mention it has to be performed separate area from steel since the grinding metal dust can't mix on the ground.

All kinds of additional issues for body shops, not sure why BroDave thinks it's no big deal?

Old 01-29-2015, 10:27 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
My understanding is they want to just replace. Welding aluminum has to be done with TIG or via MIG welding using a spool gun. I wouldn't want someone welding on my truck if the can't weld properly regardless (hence why I'm learning myself lol). I don't think welding is as big of an issue since it's a very common place skill. I see Dave's point...it's really nothing new.

Most parts are pull and replace. The bed I'd be worries about as it would never have the same rust proofing as factory if a bed panel is replaced.

Last edited by TruckGuy24; 01-29-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:40 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Not caring what the insurance company pays is kind of like not caring how much the federal government wastes. The consumer will end up paying more for the insurance as well as the taxpayer will end up paying more taxes. Insurance companies are in the business to make a big profit! Nothing is free!

Old 01-30-2015, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
i more than understand the extra time to repair aluminum.

What i dont understand is that the labor rate is x2 as much...why?

i can understand that possible certain employee had training and that cost must be made up..but 2 x as much?

do you think they are paying that employee 15 or $30 more per hour..doubt it.

special equipment...what is it?

feel like the dealer and body shops are double dipping and taking advantage of the situation. maybe i am missing something??
Although aluminum and steel sheets of the same size and thickness might look similar, they act very differently when one goes to bend, form, weld or otherwise shape and bond them. And since the whole collision repair industry grew up around working with steel, there's bound to be a learning curve going to aluminum. I think the 2X labor rate quoted for aluminum repair fully reflects how unfamiliar the shops currently are with repairing aluminum. Give them a little time to gain experience and the cost will come down.

In the mean time though, as Roadie said, the consumer is going to finance the learning curve.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:41 PM
Global Moderator &

In the mean time though, as Roadie said, the consumer is going to finance the learning curve.
Gotta pay to play.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The CEO said Ford has 750 dealers certified to repair the 2015 model but the one chosen by Edmunds was not one of them. Fields said the shop's repair time estimate was double what it should be."

http://www.freep.com/story/money/car...airs/22544265/

"Based on the video and written story, we would expect it to take less than 10 hours to repair the damage – which would be comparable to a steel vehicle with similar damage – and not the number cited in the story."

http://www.freep.com/story/money/car...-150/22388669/

Quick Reply: 2015 F150 Hit with a sledge hammer.