2015 - 2020 F-150
View Poll Results: Should Ford build a hyrbid F150 or a diesel F150?
Hyrbid Electric F150
48.15%
Light Duty Diesel F150
51.85%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Question of the Week: Hybrid or diesel for the new F150?

Old 12-05-2014, 02:12 PM
IB Editor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question of the Week: Hybrid or diesel for the new F150?

Word on the street is that Ford Motor Company is working on a variety of alternative power options for the new F150, including a hybrid electric drivetrain and a new light duty diesel.

For our Question of the Week, we want to know which you would rather see become a reality? Make your pick in the poll above and tell us why you feel this way in the thread below!

Old 12-05-2014, 02:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hmmm .. kinda/sorta discussed before (initiated by yer buddy Ed) - you guys running out of new topics?

==> https://www.f150online.com/forums/ge...-f-150-ev.html

Whenever I hear 'word on the street', I think of a bunch of cluless, inebriated guys around a table in a bar .... how aboot some actual, verifiable sources, Patrick - you know - the sorts of sources real reporters rely on .

However - in an attempt to be a good corporate citizen, I did vote in yer poll. I don't like stanky ol' diesels & I thrive on complexity, so my choice was easy.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 12-05-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm sure the Diesel would be the most expensive engine option, and the pricier fuel-ups would take some time. The towing capacity would be amazing, however and it fits the "truck" image more than a hybrid drive. But I think a hybrid EcoBoost would put it over the 30mpg goal.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
I'm sure the Diesel would be the most expensive engine option, and the pricier fuel-ups would take some time. The towing capacity would be amazing, however and it fits the "truck" image more than a hybrid drive. But I think a hybrid EcoBoost would put it over the 30mpg goal.
I gots the answer!

Diesel-Electric.. just like a locomotive! Whut would be a tougher'n image than that?

Nothin' matches the torque curve of an electric motor.

Think Super Chief: http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/...cept-overview/

MGD

Old 12-05-2014, 08:10 PM
December 3, 2014

"Ford is "working very hard" on a hybrid system for the workhorse F-150 pickup, Nair said, adding that it's too early to talk about how the system works or when it might debut.

Low gasoline prices also make a diesel F-150 "a tough go," Nair said. Fiat Chrysler's Ram truck brand benefited from a bonanza of publicity for the 28 m.p.g. EPA highway rating its 1500 pickup achieved.

Ford argues that a gas-burning EcoBoost engine in the new aluminum-bodied F-150 is a better buy, because Ford's engine costs thousands less than the Ram diesel. At today's fuel prices, even the hybrid system Ford's working on would pay for itself sooner than a diesel..."

link: http://www.freep.com/story/money/car...elan/19803441/

Last edited by Rambo; 12-06-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:17 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I think they should go with Hybrid Electric motors too. Mostly because I don't see the cost of diesel coming down anytime soon, if ever. Diesel is used in too many applications already - trucks, trains, tractors, even jet engines can burn diesel. As such, there is an enormous demand for that fuel, I don't see how the cost can fall. Too bad, because I like the power output of a diesel.

So, a Hybrid Electric could improve the in-town fuel mileage of a light truck, while maintaining the range in highway driving.

- Jack

Old 12-06-2014, 04:40 PM
Breaking News!

Looks like them Frogophones is a-gittin' it right, aight!

==> http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/...ntcmp=features

Now that's some dang fine reportin'!

BSB

Old 12-08-2014, 12:42 AM
If gas prices remain lower than diesel, I don't see a small diesel being a cost effective solution.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Economics of diesel aren't there (at least in Iowa) today.

E-10 - $2.24/gal
Diesel - $3.19/gal

So, for real world comparisons, my '12 truck is at 17.0mpg for its life (almost 73,000 miles). The same truck in a diesel would need to average 24.2mpg just to break even.

That's not 'get 24.2 mpg for a tank of driving'. That's lifetime average of 24.2, in Iowa with cold weather startups, etc... I doubt the new RAM eco-D 4x4 towing equipped trucks will average 24.2 mpg over their lives, and even if they DO, that's only a wash with my EB. It doesn't account for the up front $$$$ upcharge for the diesel engine vs. EB.

If Ford used their 700 lb savings to do a mild or medium hybrid, I think it would be a good game changer in the truck market.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:27 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
It's even worse here now - gas is $2.28 and diesel is $3.39.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Breaking News!

Looks like them Frogophones is a-gittin' it right, aight!

==> http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/...ntcmp=features

Now that's some dang fine reportin'!

BSB
Don't read too much into that story. What is not being reported is the guy who said it, Prime Minister Manuel Valls, is from a far left leaning party and is about due for reelection. Saying things like we will ban these polluting cars and give everyone free electric cars buys himself votes. It’s more political posturing at this point than policy.

However, it does address a problem with the EU environmental regulations. They chose to base a large part of their regulations on fuel consumption and the ensuing CO2 emissions. They overlooked the other parts of exhaust pollution such as NOx and particulates. They further compounded the matter by giving tax breaks to diesel fuel to promote its use over gasoline. It worked and the older euro diesels get fantastic mileage but dump out a lot of soot and other pollutants. Anyone who has spent more than 2 minutes next to a busy European road will know all about the nasty, oily, sooty grime that covers everything near the road. This is all byproduct of the diesel emissions. The newer regulations aim to correct this problem but there’s the issue of removing the old diesels from the road. On the other hand the USA and Canada(?) got it right and just set the overall limits of what can be emitted from the tailpipe and let the car makers sort out what kind of engines they want to make.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Patrick R.
Word on the street is that Ford Motor Company is working on a variety of alternative power options for the new F150, including a new light duty diesel.
That is not the word. Word is nothing has changed on diesel. Although they could offer a diesel if they wanted to.

A diesel half ton?

Old 12-10-2014, 03:25 PM

Diesel half-tons make no sense. Diesel 3/4 tons make no sense, financially, they just make more power if you need it. Diesel is still $0.70+ more expensive than 87 octane at the moment, so it's pointless. If you buy a diesel Ram over a baby Ecoboost in order to save gas, you're an idgit.

I suppose a hybrid system would be "better," but I vote neither.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:48 PM
I have started my 2 year research for a new truck...I'm intrigued by both the Ram Eco Diesel, and the Ford Eco Boost...

I have been lurking on an Ecodiesel forum for a few weeks...

It seems that most are seeing great fuel economy results with the eco diesel...without being scientific seems like most are seeing 22+ mpg...when they arent in the shop...not trying to bash... its just what the forum looks like... I had alot of problems with my 05 Lariat the first 5 years...

From what I have seen here over the past few years the Eco Boost results are very mixed...some seeing 14...others seeing 20+...

I am not understanding why the small diesels are not making a bigger comeback? Toyota had one in the 80's in the trucks, Isuzu had one...VW Rabbits had them...

I think with the price of diesel still over $3 here in Cali, + the added expense for DEF, I would go Eco Boost...

Old 12-16-2014, 02:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right now, diesel is 50% higher than gasoline where I live (2.29 vs 3.39). If the cost of the engines were identical, the diesel would have to get 50% better fuel economy just to cost the same to drive per mile (not counting DEF, higher cost oil changes, fuel filters, etc.). So, with a diesel getting 22 and the EcoBoost getting 14, the cost per mile is nearly identitcal. The fact that the EcoDiesel costs $3-4k more doesn't bode well for it being a sound buy. Not to mention the fact that the Ford has payload if you need to use the truck as a truck and not just a grocery getter.

I love the diesel in my 3/4 ton, but I sure hate paying the higher price for fuel! For a half ton, a diesel just doesn't make any sense any more.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question of the Week: Hybrid or diesel for the new F150?