2015 - 2020 F-150

Quad Beam LED Headlights and Electric Steer

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 04:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quad Beam LED Headlights and Electric Steer

Does anybody know if there is pricing out for replacement parts of the 2015 F-150? In particular I would like to know the price to replace the LED headlights.

Another question I have is can you just switch out the halogens for the LED headlights or is there special wiring from factory that you need to have in order to change them over. Looking to buy the package below the LED headlights but want them.

For those of you with electronic steering, is there positive feedback to the steering wheel when the tires hit something on the ground. Like going over a curb, hitting a curb, offroading, you know what I mean?

Thanks!

Old 11-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Don't know anything on the headlights. My comments are on the electric assist steering. To me, it's about as dead as a fence post. I get nothing from mine at all. For me, it actually took a little getting accustomed to using. It was like the truck wanted to wander all over the place. All of them I test drove where like that. The dealer said that's the only drawback that he could see was folks having to get accustomed to it. I have and it's okay now but there was a learning curve for me. Is it enough I don't like driving the truck? No, love the new one better than any other F100 or F150 I've ever owned. For my usage, this is about the most optimal truck ever.
2014 STX Sport Supecrew 5.5 bed, 3.7 Selectshift, 3.73 axle, 275/55/20 tires

I will agree with the statement the halogen headlights suck pretty bad. I'm not sure what I'll do to improve them but I'll have to do something. I'll be driving country roads at night on most of my trips and these headlights won't get it. I'll be driving over a deer and soon. By our State laws I can add another 2 headlights to the front and that's probably what it'll get. Now to find a set of headlight buckets.....

Old 11-03-2014, 09:58 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
I drove a new Fiesta when they first came out and hated the electric steering.

Off topic a bit - how do you like the 3.7, Labnerd?

Old 11-03-2014, 11:13 PM
glc, I can't say enough good about this 3.7. With trailer sway off and traction control off, I can smoke the 20" tires thru second gear. With TC on, it won't even squeal the tires. It'll blow the doors off of the 4.6 I was driving and my buds 2005 Ram Hemi. I made a trip to Uvalde today to get some of the weeks load off of me and playing with the Ultragauge at 55 mph I was able to run 27-31 mpg, at 65 I could keep it 24-27 mpg, and at 75 I could keep it 18-21 mpg. Turning the traction control off buys me another 2 mpg per the gauge. I have no clue how traction control works but apparently it's costing me fuel mileage. So I keep it off when on longer runs. I know the truck doesn't know what "coast" means with it on. It acts like it applys the brakes when gaining speed downhill. But the engine, I've had to look several times to make sure they didn't slip an EB in there. This puppy can run!

Old 11-04-2014, 07:28 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Labnerd

I will agree with the statement the halogen headlights suck pretty bad. I'm not sure what I'll do to improve them but I'll have to do something. I'll be driving country roads at night on most of my trips and these headlights won't get it. I'll be driving over a deer and soon. By our State laws I can add another 2 headlights to the front and that's probably what it'll get. Now to find a set of headlight buckets.....
There are mature options to replace yer existing halogens.

Just one example: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...light-d1s.html

Another: https://www.f150online.com/forums/il...ml#post5112083

All the light you'll ever need.

BSB

OP - sorry aboot the threadjack - but I dint start it, lol...

Old 11-05-2014, 10:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So there is no positive feedback?

Old 11-05-2014, 10:57 AM
I think the problem with the steering is there's no feedback at all. You might take one for a test drive and see if you like it. If I wasn't buying from a friend that owns the dealership I might have passed on buying the 2014 that I did. I didn't like it at all, steering wise. But like everything else, I got accustomed to it and it's no issue for me anymore. What concerns me is that they have had issues with the first year trucks and complete failure of the electronic steering. I'm assuming that you just don't have power steering and it'll be hard to turn. Doesn't make for a lot of confidence in the unit at all. FWIW, the 6.2 engines are hydraulic assist.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pockets
So there is no positive feedback?
Have to agree with Labnerd. Pretty much no feedback at all and that makes it hard sometimes to determine just how far the wheels are turned. My best example of this is playing around in the snow and dirt. Since its hard to tell how far the wheels are turned, sometimes I end up over correcting as well as going past the point of being straight. Basically requiring me to pay attention more to how many times I've turned the wheel. Didn't really have to worry about this in my 2002 because I could just feel it through the wheel.

They supposedly improved on the steering response on the 2015's though so your best bet would probably be to test drive a 14 and then a 15.

Quick Reply: Quad Beam LED Headlights and Electric Steer