2015 - 2020 F-150

Ford's 2015 F-150 Embarks on a 38-City Test-Drive Tour - anybody going?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford's 2015 F-150 Embarks on a 38-City Test-Drive Tour - anybody going?

At the first media drive for the all-new 2015 Ford F-150, Ford took over a huge parking lot and set up a four-station educational and experiential event in which auto journalists could learn about the frame and understructure of the new truck, do some comparison test drives on an eighth-mile track and autocross, find out about the new bed tech and, finally, get into the truck and be led through all the new information screens and technology controls.

Each of the stations gave us a pretty clear idea that there is a lot to learn about this new truck; the stations also allowed us to see how it competes with other pickup trucks in the segment. From the inception of the 2015 F-150, Ford knew it was going to have to invest in a significant educational program to convince and show people — media and customers alike — what the pickup's revolutionary materials and powertrains could do. That's when the idea of a 38-city traveling tour was born, pretty much duplicating the program the media experienced at the first-drive event.

With dates starting Oct. 11 and running through Dec. 17, the tour will educate potential buyers and current Ford customers about the truck and let them get behind the wheel to experience it all. To participate, people must sign up in advance at F150drive.com and answer a few questions. All participants will be eligible to win a new F-150. We've been told that competitive trucks will be available (Ram 1500 Hemi, Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3-liter, Toyota Tundra 5.7-liter and a few V-6s as well). Check out the chart below to find the tour stop nearest you and sign up today.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/10...rive-tour.html

2015 F150s will be there as well as trucks from Ram, Chevy, and Tundra. This sounds pretty sweet! Anybody here going?????????

http://www.f150drive.com

Old 10-08-2014, 04:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, I'm all signed up!

I think for 10/21

Last edited by Pockets; 10-20-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Yep. Signed up for the 17th.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:05 PM
10/28 Quakertown, PA

Old 10-13-2014, 05:57 AM
2015 Ford F-150 test track

Note from the driver:

Paul Sayler

"This was during the Built Ford Tough Roundup 3 in Minneapolis, MN. I know, your first thought is "it is a Ford test so we are going to put Fords in a position to win"...I was the same. But, the fact is, the Ford handled better than ALL the competition...including the Ram Eco-Diesel, Chevy 5.3 and Chevy 6.2. I think when everyone sees the process our aluminum boys are made, you will see that the "beer can" jokes really don't make sense. A great example would be: take a 1" piece of oak and see what it takes to break it. Then take a 1.75" of "weak" pine and see which one takes more force to break. This isn't new technology guys! I was surprised to learn that in 2004 Ford first started playing with aluminum alloys...but didn't perfect it until 2015. Think...NO RUST, MORE DURABLE,and MORE CAPABILITY!"

Old 10-14-2014, 07:07 PM
<<<@!1!@>>>

That's the second video I've seen like that with the graphics and picture in picture except it was a different person. Ford must give you an option to record your test drive and upload it to youtube.

Another video showing the different stations:

Old 10-14-2014, 10:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks like a blast.

Actually not a bad looking Ram toward the end of the first video

Old 10-14-2014, 10:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just signed up for 12/14 in Tampa

Old 10-17-2014, 12:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I went on it!
Pre-release test drive...
My take..WOW...this thing is awesome, VERY quiet and frightfully loaded with technology.
It accelerated like it had a V8, but it was only a 2.7L Ecoboost V6!
This one had twin turbos and surprisingly, it did not have any noticeable lag. The mpg meter reflected 19.1, but it wasn't set on 'active'.

The brakes are the best I've ever felt, I almost activated the anti-locks compared to my '04.
It rode like a luxury car, if it wasn't for sitting this high up, you'd forget you were driving a truck.

The technology is mind-blowing, voice command prompts, Bluetooth, navigation, cameras...
New cars should come with classes on how to get the most use out of them, not just a phone-book-thick owners manual.
(I looked through it for the multiple-languages, but it was all English!)

I would have checked out the underside if it wasn't raining.
I did notice a lot of rivets in the body seams instead of spot welds.
Also a good amount of plastic body protection around the wheels (more in front than back).

Although I can't afford one now, I did enter for the chance to win one...
Oh...and there weren't any competitors trucks there.

Name:  2015F150_zps22339bac.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  25.4 KB

Old 10-18-2014, 11:40 AM
2015 f150drive tour

Attended the F150Drive at Sarat Ford in Agawam, Ma last night. Had a drive time of 5-6 pm. Was the second in line to drive. Nothing happened until 5:45. They had 3 new f150's. One went into the showroom and 2 for test drives. xlt 2.7 and Lariat 3.5. The test drive was around the block, 5 right turns and done. Less than 7 minutes in heavy traffic. I don't think I got over 30mph. Not much of a test!

The ford team the brought the show were very pleasant, but very disorganized. Not the most professional.
The new 2015 did not give me the wow factor. I thought the styling would be more radical. The led headlights and taillights are only available on the lariat and higher editions. You need to order the 7000 package to get the lights.

The wind has been knocked out of my sail, I was less than impressed. I don't know what I expected, but the new f150 is more evolutionary than revolutionary. Other than more bells and whistles, I did not find anything that would make me trade my 2010 f150 for a new one.

The pricing is crazy. So for me it is wait and see!

Old 10-18-2014, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by mjb1032
I went on it!
Pre-release test drive...
My take..WOW...this thing is awesome, VERY quiet and frightfully loaded with technology.
It accelerated like it had a V8, but it was only a 2.7L Ecoboost V6!
This one had twin turbos and surprisingly, it did not have any noticeable lag.
Thanks for the great review and picture.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:18 AM
Talking

I decided not to go, really trying hard to not buy one and keep my goal of mortgage payoff 100% debt-free before spending money on wants, not needs. The event was held literally right behind where I work, so the temptation was strong, but I resisted.

Of course, it's now just 3 days after the event, and guess what I saw while driving home from work tonight? Yep. No idea why or how a '15 was out driving on Rt. 9 in Framingham around 9:30pm tonight, but it was.

I was headed west, it was headed east, but waiting to make a left turn. I had just turned onto Rt. 9 and was accelerating out into the left lane when I noticed a really white headlight on a car ahead waiting to turn. It caught my eye it was so nice. My mind was beginning to process the question, "What expensive car has a HID that's that nice?" and then I noticed the amber surround and was like, "HOLY $*!# that's the new F-150!!!"

By that time I was already driving past it, plus it was very dark out so I could see nothing but the headlights. Looking in rear view, saw the center mount light & taillights with one blinking to turn all of which appeared very red(LED), and then it turned and was out of sight. I do not recall seeing the front light blinking to turn, but the taillight certainly was. I wonder, perhaps does the amber surround blink as the turn signal on the front headlight? Perhaps that's why I didn't notice the amber surround at first when my attention was drawn to the bright white of the headlight itself? I dunno, can't recall seeing the front blink at all, but it did happen fast, totally unexpected, and very dark out.

No idea what trim it was, much too dark to see anything. My guess, is it was a dark color, since I couldn't make out any details. Must have been at least a Lariat to have the LED heads. Those were crazy awesome to see at night. Wow.

Again, no idea why it was out alone driving at night heading towards the Shopper's World area in Framingham/Natick. I didn't think they even had them on the lots yet. I eyeball my dealer 5 days a week as I drive past, looking for that first one so I can check it out on my own time, no one around, no sales pressures or other people looking pressures.

Interesting how one person has said it was amazing, and another that it wasn't mind-blowing at all. Very different perspectives. I keep hoping it's NOT, so I can easily stay my course. Yet it's impossible for me to not be excited, even more so after tonight's all-too-brief glimpse.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CometFlash
I decided not to go, really trying hard to not buy one and keep my goal of mortgage payoff 100% debt-free before spending money on wants, not needs. The event was held literally right behind where I work, so the temptation was strong, but I resisted.

Of course, it's now just 3 days after the event, and guess what I saw while driving home from work tonight? Yep. No idea why or how a '15 was out driving on Rt. 9 in Framingham around 9:30pm tonight, but it was.

I was headed west, it was headed east, but waiting to make a left turn. I had just turned onto Rt. 9 and was accelerating out into the left lane when I noticed a really white headlight on a car ahead waiting to turn. It caught my eye it was so nice. My mind was beginning to process the question, "What expensive car has a HID that's that nice?" and then I noticed the amber surround and was like, "HOLY $*!# that's the new F-150!!!"

By that time I was already driving past it, plus it was very dark out so I could see nothing but the headlights. Looking in rear view, saw the center mount light & taillights with one blinking to turn all of which appeared very red(LED), and then it turned and was out of sight. I do not recall seeing the front light blinking to turn, but the taillight certainly was. I wonder, perhaps does the amber surround blink as the turn signal on the front headlight? Perhaps that's why I didn't notice the amber surround at first when my attention was drawn to the bright white of the headlight itself? I dunno, can't recall seeing the front blink at all, but it did happen fast, totally unexpected, and very dark out.

No idea what trim it was, much too dark to see anything. My guess, is it was a dark color, since I couldn't make out any details. Must have been at least a Lariat to have the LED heads. Those were crazy awesome to see at night. Wow.

Again, no idea why it was out alone driving at night heading towards the Shopper's World area in Framingham/Natick. I didn't think they even had them on the lots yet. I eyeball my dealer 5 days a week as I drive past, looking for that first one so I can check it out on my own time, no one around, no sales pressures or other people looking pressures.

Interesting how one person has said it was amazing, and another that it wasn't mind-blowing at all. Very different perspectives. I keep hoping it's NOT, so I can easily stay my course. Yet it's impossible for me to not be excited, even more so after tonight's all-too-brief glimpse.

Lol.

Ford (Marketing) must be doing something right to get wood outta folks with just a lighting upgrade (and hear-tell the LED's are still not as bright, or as wide, as a good HID projector system).

Gizmos and bling are nice, but it should not trump the fundamental reason folks buy a vehicle. Unfortunately, in many cases, it does.

LED = wet panties. Good grief.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:10 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Glad to see some local guys get out there... Might be someone local helping the test? Could explain the truck .

Old 10-20-2014, 06:20 AM
Technical Article Contributor

In my defense of liking the truck and being impressed with it...I'm still nursing an
'04. 140K, it needs attention in many areas...
I haven't driven a new F150 since 2004, so I may have been a little giddy.
...OK maybe a LOT!

I'm setting my sights on a (4x4) reg. cab XLT 5.0, 6.5' bed.

The marketing company mentioned they were going to different dealerships and were staying at various
hotels in the area...
Maybe they (or one of them) were at Framingham Ford.

Last edited by mjb1032; 10-20-2014 at 06:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Ford's 2015 F-150 Embarks on a 38-City Test-Drive Tour - anybody going?