2015 - 2020 F-150

2015 - The year Ford goes down the drain!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 06:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 08FX4SC
Yeah I know. Do you think they will offer the 6.2 or other big bore engine by refresh time? If they would I wouldn't be gunning for a 2014. As each day passes I like this new 2015 more and more. The Ecoboost will always sell in more trucks than the 5.0. They should have gotten rid of the 5.0 and offered the 6.2 for those of us who want more power and durability. Chebby has a 6.2L in their new trucks; Ford has got to match them. With the truck weighing 700lbs less, the 6.2 would prob. get what a 5.0 did in the 11-14 trucks in fuel millage. I feel that the 5.0 (302) is more appropriate in the Mustang. Always has been. Can't get max-tow with the 5.0 and I want a V-8 with a cast-block. The typical 35 year old soccer mom who drives a Platinum or Limited might not care, but I do. I think the Ecoboost is a great powerful engine, but it doesn't appeal to me at this point in my life.
What is your reasoning for needing the 6.2L and a V8 with cast block? Just curious. I looked for a 6.2L when I was shopping for my '13, but after doing the math it just didn't make sense for me to need a 3/4 ton power plant in a 1/2 ton. Maybe you should wait for the new Super Duty, but I wouldn't be surprised if that 6.2L gets replaced with a bigger EB or some variety of a hopped up 5.0L.

And going from what you have to either a 5.0L or EB would be a huge improvement. Had (2) 3V 5.4L's (great engine) and have had both the EB & 5.0. My next truck will most likely have the 3.5L EB . I like the punch offered by the EB over the 5.0.

Never seen a woman driving a Limited F-150.....

Old 01-16-2014, 02:56 PM
I want one!!

Old 01-16-2014, 09:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 99and04f150
What is your reasoning for needing the 6.2L and a V8 with cast block? Just curious. I looked for a 6.2L when I was shopping for my '13, but after doing the math it just didn't make sense for me to need a 3/4 ton power plant in a 1/2 ton. Maybe you should wait for the new Super Duty, but I wouldn't be surprised if that 6.2L gets replaced with a bigger EB or some variety of a hopped up 5.0L.

And going from what you have to either a 5.0L or EB would be a huge improvement. Had (2) 3V 5.4L's (great engine) and have had both the EB & 5.0. My next truck will most likely have the 3.5L EB . I like the punch offered by the EB over the 5.0.

I hear you dude! Give me a Big Bore V8 if you want my money!

Old 01-17-2014, 11:44 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
If I remember correctly, the F150 was about 500 lbs heavier in 2004 over the 97 - 03 models. The 97 -03 versions took a lot of criticism because of the failed corner collision safety test. The heavier frame starting in 2004 made it safer and the most rigid of all trucks. So, the 2015 F150 should be about 200 lbs lighter than the 97 - 03 version.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:45 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

WTH does it having a Cast Iron block have to do with anything? Unless you are worried about weight savings, there's nothing to complain about. Why put a Big Block in a muscle car if a V6 will do?! The point is: some people want the power that a larger engine provides, without having to add-on turbos/superchargers to get there. Turbos are great, but they cause a *****-ton of heat in the engine bay (generally speaking) and can be associated with a whole lot of maintenance/expensive repairs. Nothing wrong with wanting a 6.2L option. Chevy has the option, and most people pass on the option, but it's still nice to have.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
WTH does it having a Cast Iron block have to do with anything? Unless you are worried about weight savings, there's nothing to complain about. Why put a Big Block in a muscle car if a V6 will do?! The point is: some people want the power that a larger engine provides, without having to add-on turbos/superchargers to get there. Turbos are great, but they cause a *****-ton of heat in the engine bay (generally speaking) and can be associated with a whole lot of maintenance/expensive repairs. Nothing wrong with wanting a 6.2L option. Chevy has the option, and most people pass on the option, but it's still nice to have.
I think you may have missed my point...... I was just curious as to his reasoning for why he wanted a 6.2L. I asked because I was wondering if he had a need for it or just wanted a bada$$ power plant. I looked for one because my truck is a garage queen that seldom gets driven and I figured it would be sweet to have one with it. No real need for me and I wanted to see if he was the same way.

The cast iron block question was in regards to him saying he wanted a cast iron block.....

I love the way people infer written text.....

Last edited by 99and04f150; 01-17-2014 at 02:23 PM. Reason: left out "iron"
Old 01-17-2014, 02:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
...The cast iron block question was in regards to him saying he wanted a cast block.....

I love the way people infer written text.....
How else would you suggest making an engine block other than casting it? The only other viable alternative would be to mill one out of a solid piece of metal. That would cost way too much for any production vehicle. It's understood the block will be cast, the only question is what metal they will use.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
How else would you suggest making an engine block other than casting it? The only other viable alternative would be to mill one out of a solid piece of metal. That would cost way too much for any production vehicle. It's understood the block will be cast, the only question is what metal they will use.
Material was what I meant.... I was thinking I read or saw somewhere that the EB and 5.0L blocks were a different material than the 6.2L. Anyone?

Old 01-17-2014, 02:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Material was what I meant.... I was thinking I read or saw somewhere that the EB and 5.0L blocks were a different material than the 6.2L. Anyone?
The EB 3.5L and 5.0L are aluminum, the 6.2L is iron.

The 2.7L EB is going to be CGI (compacted graphite iron).

Old 01-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Thanks bud.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry dude, to each their own I guess I am loving both the new Mustang, and the F150. I am keeping my truck for a while, but depending on our finances, I might just toss the old Saturn out to spare car status and grab a Mustang... Mind you, if some idiot decided to make me need a new truck, the 2015 F150 would be on my short list...

Old 01-18-2014, 12:04 AM
What is it with the insanity of making these trucks bigger and looking more like 1970's Peterbilts with ten tons of crazy trucker bling??? For the last eight years now, each iteration of pickups have gone from clean and svelte looking designs, to these ugly monstrosities that make BlueBird school buses look modern and clean.

The cars get better looking (for the most part); but the trucks just keep growing warts and turning into complete parodies of what a pickup truck is. I wish Ford would bring it's Aussie Ute over as an alternative,I'd rather be seen tooling around in an old Ranger than these caricatures.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:54 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana
What is it with the insanity of making these trucks bigger and looking more like 1970's Peterbilts with ten tons of crazy trucker bling??? For the last eight years now, each iteration of pickups have gone from clean and svelte looking designs, to these ugly monstrosities that make BlueBird school buses look modern and clean.

The cars get better looking (for the most part); but the trucks just keep growing warts and turning into complete parodies of what a pickup truck is. I wish Ford would bring it's Aussie Ute over as an alternative,I'd rather be seen tooling around in an old Ranger than these caricatures.

MGD

Old 01-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana

I agree! The old F150s look like Rangers beside the new behemoths.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd be shocked if Ford "went down the drain" in 2015. Strong product line from top to bottom. In fact I can't think of any other manufacturer that has every base covered like Ford.

Fiesta to Stang to F150 to Transit and everything in between... Ford is rocking.

Quick Reply: 2015 - The year Ford goes down the drain!