2015 - 2020 F-150

2015 Ford F-150 LEAKED!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fnnrNArnner74, the 3.5 Ecoboost in more powerful than all the current motor options, excluding the 6.2, and has all of it's power way down in the rev rang, right where you want it. But I feel like you knew that, buddy! The 2.7 will be considerably more powerful than your 2V 5.4 and will rival or beat my 3V.

If the 2.7 Eco gets comparable mileage to the new diesel Dodge, which it's looking like it will, you'd be an idiot to buy the first-year, highly expensive, expensive to maintain diesel that needs the emissions removed to even begin to be a viable option expected to last as long as a diesel should.

In my eyes, the difference between the F150 and Tundra are as big as the differences between the Sierra and Silverado. And I mean that quite seriously. The general shape is very similar, but with different headlights, taillights, and slightly different quarter and bed panels - ALL how the GM twins differ. However, at least the GM twins get different-looking grills. The GM twins share the same cab, but at least they're the same damn company. I'm surprised Ford or Toyota hasn't sued the other for copyright infringement . . .

Last edited by KMAC0694; 01-14-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm

Well, just to pipe up here: There are only so many ways to make hoods and grills and interiors. I think the truck looks fine except one thing that everyone else seems to like: The split headlight. The body colored piece that cuts halfway through the light strikes me as ugly...not deal-breaker ugly, but ugly.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:14 PM
Riv
Originally Posted by tcp2
Well, just to pipe up here: There are only so many ways to make hoods and grills and interiors. I think the truck looks fine except one thing that everyone else seems to like: The split headlight. The body colored piece that cuts halfway through the light strikes me as ugly...not deal-breaker ugly, but ugly.

That and those crazy red arrows, those are horrific! Heh, just kidding but now that you point it out it definitely sticks out. I hadn't noticed it before but I've mainly seen pictures with the lights blazing.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:47 AM

I certainly don't love those headlights haha. But they're "different" lookin, so I let them slide.

As others have said, the split bumpers look terrible.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:51 AM
So to tune or make more power with the ecoboost do you just up the boost and add more fuel via tuner? I know of some wicked 6.2s here in az, sdhq pumps out a lot of them and they have a blown one making 700 + I believe. If the 3.5 is the new flagship, can it put down serious power with upgrades?

Old 01-15-2014, 10:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fnnrNArnner74
So to tune or make more power with the ecoboost do you just up the boost and add more fuel via tuner? I know of some wicked 6.2s here in az, sdhq pumps out a lot of them and they have a blown one making 700 + I believe. If the 3.5 is the new flagship, can it put down serious power with upgrades?
Like any other motor it depends on how far you want to go and how fat your wallet is. The current limit on the EB is around 500 Hp due to the factory fuel system which is a common thing with any DI engine. There are several companies working on upgrades to it and larger turbos. Check out Full Race to see what can be done with this motor. They are also based in AZ so you might be able to get see their work first hand.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by fnnrNArnner74
People get all butt hurt when you talk down to the Ecoboost, but in all reality a blown V8 will out perform a modified Ecoboost. People say, well if you put that $5000 towards a supercharger and you put $5000 into an Ecoboost, the Ecoboost should be faster, but that is not the case. The Ecoboost engines are like diesels, they get a ton of power from a tune, but the Ecoboost is limited because of it's fuel systems. There are several companies, that for years have been saying they are working on upgrades for the fuel system, but still nothing can touch a blown V8.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:27 AM
Old 01-15-2014, 11:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by azmidget91
People get all butt hurt when you talk down to the Ecoboost, but in all reality a blown V8 will out perform a modified Ecoboost. People say, well if you put that $5000 towards a supercharger and you put $5000 into an Ecoboost, the Ecoboost should be faster, but that is not the case. The Ecoboost engines are like diesels, they get a ton of power from a tune, but the Ecoboost is limited because of it's fuel systems. There are several companies, that for years have been saying they are working on upgrades for the fuel system, but still nothing can touch a blown V8.
You must be shopping on fleabay for parts. A Rousch supercharger kit for a late model F-150 is $6700 and that doesn't include any exhaust work or installation. With an exhaust you would be $7500+ into it if you did all your own work. This would give you a 570Hp 5.0 but doesn't address the elephant in the room which is the stock rods. Ford didn't design them for boosted use. A forged set of rods will tack on another $1500 plus new bearings, pulling the motor, machine work etc. At this point you would be pushing the $10,000 mark and still have a big pile of parts to install.

Compare that to the EB. A tune, exhaust work, upgraded intercooler and down pipes will set you back $3500 or so and will all be easy bolt ons. This will have you up around the limits of the factory fuel system of 500Hp or so. Most people are very satisfied at this point. What is the better deal for the most people, $3500 worth of bolt ons or $10,000 and pulling the engine?

Old 01-15-2014, 12:12 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
But the EB doesn't sound like a V8..................

Old 01-15-2014, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
You must be shopping on fleabay for parts. A Rousch supercharger kit for a late model F-150 is $6700 and that doesn't include any exhaust work or installation. With an exhaust you would be $7500+ into it if you did all your own work. This would give you a 570Hp 5.0 but doesn't address the elephant in the room which is the stock rods. Ford didn't design them for boosted use. A forged set of rods will tack on another $1500 plus new bearings, pulling the motor, machine work etc. At this point you would be pushing the $10,000 mark and still have a big pile of parts to install.

Compare that to the EB. A tune, exhaust work, upgraded intercooler and down pipes will set you back $3500 or so and will all be easy bolt ons. This will have you up around the limits of the factory fuel system of 500Hp or so. Most people are very satisfied at this point. What is the better deal for the most people, $3500 worth of bolt ons or $10,000 and pulling the engine?
Thank you for proving my point of the first sentence of my last post...

$5100 for a Magnuson supercharger.
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/01-...ercharger.html

$5146 for a Procharger
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/1FV...ger-Tuner.html

Who said anything about exhaust work? Also whats the fun of buying a supercharger and not installing it yourself? A supercharger can be bolted on in less than a day with simple hand tools, and easier to access than ecoboost chargepipes/downpipes.

End of the day the 5.0 will out perform the ecoboost when either are heavily modified. No need to upgrade the rods. People have been putting superchargers on NA motors for a long time...

Old 01-15-2014, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by glc
But the EB doesn't sound like a V8..................
That was one of the main reasons I bought a 5.0. I told the dealer who was trying to sell me an ecoboost that I just don't like the way they sound. He said I could always put an exhaust on an Ecoboost, I told him that would just make it sound worse.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by azmidget91
That was one of the main reasons I bought a 5.0. I told the dealer who was trying to sell me an ecoboost that I just don't like the way they sound. He said I could always put an exhaust on an Ecoboost, I told him that would just make it sound worse.
"You can put an exhaust on an Ecoboost if you don't like how it sounds from factory"

Old 01-15-2014, 12:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can we create a special sub-forum for "EB vs. 5.0 pis_ing matches?" Seriously guys, it's getting a bit ridiculous. Someone has to bring it up in nearly every thread.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Can we create a special sub-forum for "EB vs. 5.0 pis_ing matches?" Seriously guys, it's getting a bit ridiculous. Someone has to bring it up in nearly every thread.

I was just answering fnnrNArnner74's question about the Ecoboost's relevance to a supercharged V8.

Quick Reply: 2015 Ford F-150 LEAKED!