2015 - 2020 F-150

Moaning/Friction upon Deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 09:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Thanks for more updates even though you're not resolved yet. Hang in there

Have you tried shifting to Neutral when coasting to see if it makes it quit doing it? Or if the noise changes?

Old 02-09-2017, 06:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snakecharmer
Update on mine. I have it back, NOT repaired. The dealer - who i trust - said he's seen a bunch of them and Ford has told them do NOT attempt repair, because they do not yet know what is causing it. Not super happy about that, but I'm not upset with the dealer because they have to follow Ford's guidelines. In any case, that seals it for me, it will go back to Ford for sure when the lease expires in April, as I will not put up with that noise for however many months it takes to find the issue and get the parts to fix it. I feel bad for all the dealers that will have to deal with unhappy customers in the mean time.
Perhaps I was the guinea pig.....

We are looking at 5-8" of snow this morning so I will be using 4wd.....

Old 02-09-2017, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
Thanks for more updates even though you're not resolved yet. Hang in there

Have you tried shifting to Neutral when coasting to see if it makes it quit doing it? Or if the noise changes?
I have. Didn't seem to matter.

My service advisor seems to think it is something in the front carrier. But I'm not sure. What it remind me of is older 4 wheel drive systems that would lock the hubs but then you had to back up 20 feet or so to get them unlock. My old Bronco was that way, and you could feel a sort of drag in it until you stopped and reversed a few feet. The curious thing is, he says he has seen 15s and 16s with the issue, but no 17s yet. That tells me either a) it only happens after some wear and age is on the vehicle, or b) Ford changed something on the 17s, in which case I would think it ought to be easy to know what that is and why.

I'll be patient for now, but Ford had better get a fix before the lease is up in April. I was thinking about buying it, but if they have no fix in sight by then they'll be getting it back and good luck to them trying to re-sell it. There's no way someone would test drive it and not notice the issue.

For now it is parked in the garage as I'm not comfortable driving it with that noise.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:56 AM
[QUOTE]For now it is parked in the garage as I'm not comfortable driving it with that noise./QUOTE]
I would the exact opposite. The issue is documented and they can't identify the problem. You are covered by the warranty. Keep driving it until whatever it is gets bad enough that they can find it.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by snakecharmer
I have. Didn't seem to matter.

My service advisor seems to think it is something in the front carrier. But I'm not sure. What it remind me of is older 4 wheel drive systems that would lock the hubs but then you had to back up 20 feet or so to get them unlock. My old Bronco was that way, and you could feel a sort of drag in it until you stopped and reversed a few feet. The curious thing is, he says he has seen 15s and 16s with the issue, but no 17s yet. That tells me either a) it only happens after some wear and age is on the vehicle, or b) Ford changed something on the 17s, in which case I would think it ought to be easy to know what that is and why.

I'll be patient for now, but Ford had better get a fix before the lease is up in April. I was thinking about buying it, but if they have no fix in sight by then they'll be getting it back and good luck to them trying to re-sell it. There's no way someone would test drive it and not notice the issue.

For now it is parked in the garage as I'm not comfortable driving it with that noise.
I have had my truck back for a couple days and have driven it about 75 miles with and without 4wd engaged. At this point I have yet to experience the issue again...... I will give it a few more days before reporting back to Ford.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:47 AM
[QUOTE=white elephant;5212469]
For now it is parked in the garage as I'm not comfortable driving it with that noise./QUOTE]
I would the exact opposite. The issue is documented and they can't identify the problem. You are covered by the warranty. Keep driving it until whatever it is gets bad enough that they can find it.
i hear you, but the fact I feel it through the brake pedal is disconcerting. Maybe paranoid on my part I suppose but I'd hate to have it suddenly become worse.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:11 PM
If it affects the drivability of the truck and potentially could be a safety issue, I'd park it too. If not, drive it till it breaks. You didn't pay a lot of $$ to have a 4 wheel dust collector in the garage. Ford will eventually identify the issue the same way you are; driving it until they can conclusively identify the problem.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:04 AM
It appears at this point that the solenoid was the issue, been trouble free since last week!

Old 02-24-2021, 11:38 PM
2021 f250 same thing?

So I'm wondering around the internet trying to find out why my brand new 2021 F250 is making a humming sound on deceleration? So to be clear mine is only on deceleration not during braking and not during active acceleration. It's not loud it's a slight very slight vibration did actually just sounds like an exhaust brake but to my knowledge they don't make this on the gas engine which I have the 7.3 L. Anyway it's just driving me crazy everytime I let off the gas I hear this little Jake brake sound

Old 02-24-2021, 11:43 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Gio, please start a new thread in the F250 section.

Old 02-25-2021, 11:46 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vibration when slowing issue. (he said confidently)

TSB 19-2252

Discussed in this thread ->

Old 03-06-2021, 11:41 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Related to the original post back in 2017 for 15 and later years.
Your discription sounds a lot like what is explained in your owner manual.
Look on page 194 for a 2015 model year.
Read how the beake system works under certian circumstances.
When I leave my drivewasy, the road goes down hill quite steeply and around two 90 degree turns.
I can feel it >>hold back<< when the throttle is lifted.
As soon as I apply braking as the rolling speed begins to increase, the braking effect lets off and I need my foot braking effort after that point.
My feeling is you are experiencing a featrure the truck is designed to do such that there would be no fault alarm in a normally working system because it is doing what it is designed to do.
Read it over until you understand, then relate to what you feel is happening.
If there is no fault, none will be found if they are not sure what is being looked for.
The manual says this feature can be turned off. Try that and see.
Good luck.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 03-06-2021 at 11:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Moaning/Friction upon Deceleration