2015 - 2020 F-150

Buy used 2016 or 2017 or build to order 2017

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy used 2016 or 2017 or build to order 2017

I have a 2009 F150 Lariat w/ 6.5' bed to trade in.
I've been looking for either a Lariat 2016 w/ 6.5' bed or even a 2017 lariat w/ 6.5'bed. But the stock on those for either year is low... seems ford loves short beds.

The dealer did say that a build to order 2017 sells at invoice.
I would negotiate from invoice up anyway!

What should I do?

What can I expect to pay for a slightly used 2016 lariat, or new 2017 lariat both with 6.5 bed and 502a group?

Old 01-10-2017, 12:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It kind of depends on how particular you are. Are you willing to pay a small fortune for a truck that's "almost, but not quite exactly what you're looking for" - and might not be in perfect condition? This gets even more difficult when you look at the realistic chances of you finding one in the bed length and trim level you're looking for. (Sounds like you're pretty well set with what you want.)

Call me weird, but when I'm going to spend as much as one has to these days for a new truck, I always order exactly what I want. I go to the Ford web site and use the Build & Price tool to analyze all sorts of different possible configurations and then decide what I must have and what I'd settle for. I then use the Search Inventory tool to find that exactly what I'd want is never available. So I end up ordering a truck.

Now some dealers will argue that they can sell you "one off the lot" for less than they can order you one for. That's BS. Why would a truck that's been sinking through the pavement for 4 months (and getting weather damaged while it sits) cost less? The dealer's been paying Floor Plan on it to keep it sitting there and has paid to move it around the lot numerous times too. So my argument is that one that's built for me, then rolls straight off the transporter and into my hands actually costs the dealer less. Most dealers will reluctantly agree with me there. They just don't want to sink any more money into a truck that's been sitting there burning a hole in their bank account.

So my choice is to figure out exactly what I want and wait a few extra weeks to get it. As for the price you'll pay, see the previous paragraph. It should be the same or less.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked

Now some dealers will argue that they can sell you "one off the lot" for less than they can order you one for. That's BS
I never knew anyone who couldn't find something they liked on the lot.

Dealers will give a better deal on in stock vehicles to reduce their floor plan plus some rebates won't apply on ordered trucks.

Last edited by Paul888; 01-12-2017 at 05:59 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul888
I was looking for a 2015 F150 supercrew XLT with 6.5' bed, 5.0, 3.55 locking hub, 36 gallon fuel tank and trailer tow package in July of 2015.

Such a thing just did not exist anywhere in the SouthEast US.

The closest I found was in XL trim, which I did not want. And it was in Atlanta, GA (8 hours away).

I at the time could not order one, as the order bank for 2015 had already closed. So I could wait to get my ordered truck in December or January, or compromise.

I compromised and got one with a 3.31 rear and regular gas tank. It had everything else I wanted.

You are ALWAYS going to get the best deal by buying off the lot. ALWAYS. No one can argue with this. Because you take what rebates exist at time of delivery, not at time you order. And it's anyones guess A.) how long it will take to get your truck and B.) what the rebates will be when your truck arrives...

I really did not want to wait to get my truck, and when I bought my truck, SuperCrew's with 6.5' beds were SUPER RARE. Unicorns. There were only 5 in my whole state, and 4 were XL's.

As it was, I got a really good deal, got a rebate and some other incentives. My only real compromise was the fuel tank. I test drove both 3.55 and 3.31 rear trucks and honestly don't notice much of a difference, except when I tow. The gas tank I really notice, wish I had the bigger tank super bad... but I can live with it.

And the 3.31 rear gives me SUPERB gas mileage on the highway.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Paul888
Well, there's me! In all of the new vehicles I've purchased since my very fist new car (in 1976), I've never found exactly what I wanted on any lot - even with a dealer search. Could I have settled for something close? Probably, but not for that kind of money.

BTW: There's a very important number one needs to consider here. What do you think the total number of possible combinations of options (engine, transmission, trim level, colors, rear axle ratios, etc.) is for something like an F-150. Hint: It's a mathematical factorial.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by crazynip
You are ALWAYS going to get the best deal by buying off the lot. ALWAYS. No one can argue with this. Because you take what rebates exist at time of delivery, not at time you order. And it's anyones guess A.) how long it will take to get your truck and B.) what the rebates will be when your truck arrives...
That's what any dealer is going to tell you because they want you to believe it. (So I am going to argue the point.) The real reason is that they don't want you to leave without buying something from them. (Studies show that most folks who leave a dealership without buying will buy someplace else.)

I actually had two trucks I ordered come in after rebates had actually increased. Call me different, but when I'm spending forty grand or more on something, I want exactly what I want. Unfortunately for educated consumers like me, the whole auto industry is built on one simple assumption: Instant Gratification.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2stroked
That's what any dealer is going to tell you because they want you to believe it. (So I am going to argue the point.) The real reason is that they don't want you to leave without buying something from them. (Studies show that most folks who leave a dealership without buying will buy someplace else.)

I actually had two trucks I ordered come in after rebates had actually increased. Call me different, but when I'm spending forty grand or more on something, I want exactly what I want. Unfortunately for educated consumers like me, the whole auto industry is built on one simple assumption: Instant Gratification.
You got lucky... it can go either way. I know plenty of people that tried that in 2015 and 16 and got screwed because their trucks were WAY late...

Old 01-11-2017, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Sopher
Buy used 2016 or 2017 or build to order 2017...What should I do?
Probably buy new 2017 or build to order because they are so hard to find, but if you find any used 6.5's post the examples and people here will tell you if it's a good deal or not.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:47 PM
If you are in the market for the 3.5 Ecoboost, I'd go with the 2017 with the 10sp auto and Port/Direct injection. But if you are looking to get the most for your money, the rebates and deals on 2016s will be very hard to beat.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:44 AM
If I were to go with a built to order, the dealer mentioned they sell those at invoice pricing... do any rebates still apply?

or if I do decide to buy an off the lot 2017 and negotiate from invoice pricing, can any rebates/discounts be applied?

Old 01-26-2017, 10:53 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
A one or two year old truck would make me wonder why it is back for sale. Was it a lemon? Did it have a problem that the dealer shop had difficulty finding? Something to think about also is to ask if it is still under warranty. The PO may have modified something that voided the warranty such as turning up the boost on the ecoboost.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:08 PM
good point. I did find a 2016 Lariat with under 7k miles for $40k. The stdealers still have lots of 2016's that they are discounting some. but not as much as you would think.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:33 PM
crap. now the wife doesnt want me to get a truck at all.
She wants something she can drive.
Expedition?

Are they basically an f150 with an enclosed back? Have they kept up with the changes of the F150 ?

Old 01-29-2017, 08:39 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Put a shell on the truck and it will look like an Expedition!!!

Old 01-29-2017, 10:38 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Are they basically an f150 with an enclosed back? Have they kept up with the changes of the F150 ?
Yes. If she can drive an Expedition, she can drive a F-150.