2015 - 2020 F-150

Noisy new truck

Old 01-03-2017, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noisy new truck

So I bought a brand new f150 at the end of August. Awesome, right? That's what I thought... Then about a month later, maybe less, I started hearing a creaking sound from what I thought was the front wheel well. I hear it almost all the time and it is driving me crazy. I took it to Ford and they said everything looked good and was nice and tight. They also said they could not hear it or replicate it. Thanks Ford.

So I took a look myself and had someone jack the truck up while I listened, and I could hear and feel a clicking in the tubular bar that the air filter box bolts to. It is about a 4 inch diameter bar that is part of the support frame under the front fender panel. So I tightened down every bolt I could reach that is on it and sprayed some white lithium on what looked like either a mount or bushing down towards the bottom of that bar, down by the bottom of radiator. The noise went away for a week or two, but now it is coming back again, and just like before it is getting progressively worse. I don't know if I was on the right track or if it was the recent rain masking the sound.

This creaking noise is driving me crazy. Its to the point where I don't even want to drive the truck anymore. It's pretty frustrating paying so much for a brand new vehicle and not being happy with it. I definitely have buyers remorse, I should have bought a Ram. I want to like this truck so bad and I think I would if it wasn't so annoying.

Anyway, has anyone had any experiences like this? Any advice? Any suggestions other than drive it off a cliff (I'm getting to that point)? I have a good video of it, but I can't get it to upload.

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2017, 11:08 PM
Things I forgot to mention, I hear it going over bumps/cracks in the road, accelerating from a stop, and it's real bad going over speed bumps. I don't hear it so much when turning.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take it back to a Ford dealer. That's what your warranty is for and diagnosing noises over the internet in all but impossible. Besides, they have more experience than anyone else with trucks like yours. If you continue messing with things yourself, you run the risk of voiding your warranty - and you don't want to do that.

On the off chance that they cannot find / cure the problem in a reasonable amount of time, most states have "Lemon Laws" on the books to allow you another venue to pursue.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:41 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
If you are having issues with your local Ford dealer, we have a customer service rep on the forum that may be able to help you.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:20 PM
On the other hand. I rented a Ram 1500 with the 5.7 a few weeks ago. The truck was an absolute rattle trap on the inside. I can only assume they are not all that way but no doubt it can happen on any brand.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you sure it's from the front? I had a horrible creaking sound from what I thought was the front of the truck. It turned out to be a sticky, non-stock rear shock caused by water intrusion...

Old 01-04-2017, 11:53 PM
Yeah its definitely coming from the front. I hear it when the front of the truck goes over a speed bump. I've also had my wife drive it slowly while I walked along side listening and it's definitely from the front.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:17 AM
As others have said, take it back to the dealer. If you are able to hear it as easily as you said, then make the tech or the manager ride along with you until they hear it too. They more than likely just took it for a quick drive, didn't hear anything and called it good. If you still have issues, try another dealer or Ford Customer service on here as mentioned.

Good luck!

Old 01-05-2017, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by 943brian
Yeah its definitely coming from the front. I hear it when the front of the truck goes over a speed bump. I've also had my wife drive it slowly while I walked along side listening and it's definitely from the front.
Go back and tell them this. Show them. I used to work at a Ford dealership years ago and I would have loved for nothing more than a customer who could show me exactly how and what they were hearing. Then I could fix it and everyone was happy. You probably dealt with a service writer who may have wrote something like " customer hears a noise from under the truck " on the repair order. Believe me I saw crap like that. Ask the service writer if a tech can go out with you and you'll show him how the noise happens.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by 02RegularCab4x4
Go back and tell them this. Show them. I used to work at a Ford dealership years ago and I would have loved for nothing more than a customer who could show me exactly how and what they were hearing. Then I could fix it and everyone was happy. You probably dealt with a service writer who may have wrote something like " customer hears a noise from under the truck " on the repair order. Believe me I saw crap like that. Ask the service writer if a tech can go out with you and you'll show him how the noise happens.
I think that will probably be my next move. I have the video, too, and it's real obvious on it. If they can't fix it, I might pursue the lemon law route. The last time they looked at it, they said everything is safe, but how could they be sure if they don't even know what it is? I just want what I am paying for and the noise to be gone.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:38 AM
One trip to the dealer, for a noise, and you are all ready to lemon law your truck?

Old 01-06-2017, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by Paul888
One trip to the dealer, for a noise, and you are all ready to lemon law your truck?
Ok, so I have a few thoughts on your comment paul:
1. This thread was started looking for help, which your reply lacks
2. This is a pretty wicked noise, which some lemon laws could cover
3. Have you looked at my truck? Have you heard it? Do you know if it is safe/unsafe?
4. Noises are pretty good indicators that something is wrong

Maybe it is nothing, maybe it's something major, I don't know. But either way, would you want to pay $42,000+ for something that sounded like a P.O.S.?

Old 01-06-2017, 08:36 AM
I've actually taken it to the service center twice, and that was when the noise was subtle, but I could hear it. It's gotten progressively worse since.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by 943brian
Ok, so I have a few thoughts on your comment paul:
1. This thread was started looking for help, which your reply lacks
2. This is a pretty wicked noise, which some lemon laws could cover
3. Have you looked at my truck? Have you heard it? Do you know if it is safe/unsafe?
4. Noises are pretty good indicators that something is wrong

Maybe it is nothing, maybe it's something major, I don't know. But either way, would you want to pay $42,000+ for something that sounded like a P.O.S.?

Sorry, while I feel for you, I agree with Paul888. Takes patience. They'll get it. YOU said it's getting worse. That's good. It'll get more obvious and maybe something will fail. Even BETTER. That way they can fix it.

I think I speak for Paul when I say, the lemon law is not written for creaking noises per se. It's written for people with cars that don't run reliably, are dangerous and otherwise UNUSABLE.

Anyway, it's been a while. How did you ever make out?
Can you post the video on UTube? I'm sure we'd all love to see/hear it.

All too often folks get pissed and come on the forums to bitch, then they never post the outcome. The whole idea of the forum is to SHARE your knowledge and experiences with the group ... not just TAKE.

TomJV

Old 03-17-2017, 03:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They will not hear anything while it is under warranty. It will, however, be very apparent as soon as the warranty expires. Ask me how I know. And don't bother with Customer Service, they are only a referral service for the dealer.............

Search this Thread