2015 - 2020 F-150

2016 2.7L Crew Cab purchased

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 12:23 PM
MJG
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 2.7L Crew Cab purchased

Picking up a new truck this afternoon - with what was left on local lots and the current incentives going on right now with the remaining 2016 stock, I ended up with Ingot Silver.

XLT sport package with Nav and the Sync3 system. Worked in some extra bits in the deal. MRSP on the truck was $57k excluding the extras the dealer worked in, I ended up paying a tick over $40k.

Truck has the electronic locking 3.55 with the 2.7L EB and the 302a package along with trailer brake control. This is a daily driver vehicle, not for heavy lifting nor a toy, which is why I opted for the 2.7.

Do we have more feedback on the 2.7 since some of the dated threads here?

Also, looking for a cheap tri-fold cover or even a hydraulic soft lift tonneau cover. Ideally looking to spend a few hundred bucks.

Another thing, for you snowbelt guys, have you decided to oil rust spray the undercarriage or body panels/door?

Old 12-16-2016, 01:38 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase. Next go look up the term waxoil. It's frequently a home made product and IMO it works just as well as most of the commercial products. FWIW I was lazy so I used about 5 cans of LPS-3 spray all over the underside of my truck and in the door jams and inside of the fender wells when I bought it and I haven't found a spec of rust yet. LPS-3 is usually sold for use on guns and machine tools but it seems to work fine on vehicles as well.

IMO it's a lot more important that you coat your vehicle thoroughly and soon before the rust can start and reapply a coating when needed instead of what product you use.

The thing that I like about LPS-3 is that it goes on as a liquid so it coats the metal well and it also flows into all of the cracks and crevices. After a few days it dries to a dry waxy coating that won't chip off. In my experience, the coatings that dry to a hard material such as line-X tend to not adhere well and flake off in sheets and also moisture creeps under them and rust forms under the Line-X. I've seen dozens of vehicles that were coated with Line-X where the metal is completely rusted away and only the Line-X coating remains.

Last edited by joe51; 12-16-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:45 PM
MJG
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool, good info. I will look into the product.

I have been doing some research into oiling with aluminum body panels but there seems to be no clear consensus on the subject. Of course, talking to a vendor who provides the product or service will always tell you to do it.

I've always Krown Oil Spray my vehicles yearly and always stayed in good to fair condition over a number of years in a region which dumps salt constantly. This truck has me stumped.....am I just doing the undercarriage or all my jambs and doors as before?

The Krown Oil spray is an oil based product which is applied by a Krown certified facility and it drips EVERYWHERE. For 5 days straight you will have your driveway destroyed if you don't park elsewhere. At least it works - gets into all the nooks and hiding holes.

Last edited by MJG; 12-16-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 09 has been "krowned" several times, great product and yes it does drip a lot. Can hose it off the driveway with ease however. I usually get it done and then let it drip at work or in a parking lot near the house for a few hours. I used oilgard "no drip" last year for the first time and I have to say it is still on the truck and still quite thick. For the record it worked as advertised and didn't drip at all. Same price as Krown

Old 01-11-2017, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my 16 coated with a product called fluid film, heard good things about it, ill let ya know how it holds up to a new england winter

Old 01-11-2017, 11:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fluid film is a great product. Private snow plow guys use it a lot here. I've bought the spray cans and used it around the house and on vehicle's and it seems to stick quite well. Downside is it's expensive.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The rattle cans are more expensive, i bought 2 gallons and the sprayer for 100bucks or so