2015 - 2020 F-150

Sunroof Noise

Old 12-10-2015, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same issue

My 2015 only has 13,000 miles on it. At around 7,000 miles is when I noticed the knocking. I figured out that it was the sunroof, and took in to the dealer for repair. They have had my truck in for repair THREE times, for a total of two weeks. On the third repair, they replaced the railing. It seemed to be fine, until a month later, and now it is starting to knock again. I think I'm going to take it to a different dealer this time.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:41 AM
Sunroof noise

My truck is now going to a body shop where the owner I spoke with says my sliding glass is not sitting high enough in the frame. He has done several similar repairs on the ford edge pano roof. The noise is unbearable and I hope to get it fixed soon.

Last edited by Skinner2; 12-10-2015 at 11:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-11-2015, 10:00 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by onelegtim
My 2015 only has 13,000 miles on it. At around 7,000 miles is when I noticed the knocking. I figured out that it was the sunroof, and took in to the dealer for repair. They have had my truck in for repair THREE times, for a total of two weeks. On the third repair, they replaced the railing. It seemed to be fine, until a month later, and now it is starting to knock again. I think I'm going to take it to a different dealer this time.
Welcome to the forum, onelegtim; I want to escalate the knocking sound to your regional customer service manager (CSM). PM over your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll get to work.

Originally Posted by Skinner2
My truck is now going to a body shop where the owner I spoke with says my sliding glass is not sitting high enough in the frame. He has done several similar repairs on the ford edge pano roof. The noise is unbearable and I hope to get it fixed soon.
Hi Skinner2,

Since you're in Canada, I recommend reaching out to my colleagues at FordServiceCA: https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...serviceca.html They'll be in the best position to assist.

Crystal

Old 12-17-2015, 02:02 PM
I am having this exact same issue with my 2015 F150 platinum, the noise (no leak yet) coming from the sunroof/moon roof seems to happen when the truck hits ANY slight bump or imperfection in the road; and in northern Alberta that's most of the road.

It's been in and out of the shop at least 6 times for troubleshooting and it seems the Ford tech and I are still not even close to solving it. He said he'll be consulting with Ford HQ for more ideas and at this point his hands are kind of tied because he can't just rig something up without voiding warranty.

While I personally am starting to question the mechanical linkages or glass size/fit, my tech also has a hunch it could be a case of the weather stripping not being soft enough.
What we DO know is that when it's taken apart and everything (seals, track, mechanical linkages) is cleaned with "Ford's shop silicone-based lubricant" and then closed back up the noise seems to go away for a varying period of time (1, 2, 3 days, best was 6) and then comes right back again.... Not exactly a fix.

Has there been any more progress made on this issue? Even more info on the mention of getting a body shop to mount the glass higher?

It's a gorgeous truck, but this issue is GREATLY and RAPIDLY decreasing my product satisfaction.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:06 PM
I'm starting to have the same problem. It's VERY annoying! I thought it was the front end at first until I had someone else drive the truck and I got in the back seat up close to the sunroof. I can't afford to be without my truck while Ford fumbles around with this problem so I'm going to wait and see what happens.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:12 PM
I have no update and now with the holidays upon us I wont hear until the new year. Its very frustrating and I called a friend in the glass business and he says the glass in the sliding portion is not sitting high enough. Im still in wait and see mode but I also cant be without my truck.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:09 AM
2015 F150 lariat sunroof noises

In looking at the questions and responses it appears the issue of a noisy sunroof when closed is not an uncommon problem. Several of the entries describe exactly want the same noise my trucks sunroof is making. My noisy sunroof issues start from day one. The truck was a demo and had 4000 miles. It now has 11,000 and will be going info a 4th time.

I see lots of initial questions and discussions but do not see any answer on if or how the problem was resolved.

Does anyone have any answers?

Old 01-08-2016, 11:30 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mgbutler
In looking at the questions and responses it appears the issue of a noisy sunroof when closed is not an uncommon problem. Several of the entries describe exactly want the same noise my trucks sunroof is making. My noisy sunroof issues start from day one. The truck was a demo and had 4000 miles. It now has 11,000 and will be going info a 4th time...
Welcome to the forum, mgbutler; let's see what I can do to resolve this issue for good. Send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll push this up the line.

Crystal

Old 01-08-2016, 11:38 AM
I am still having these same issues!! At least others are as well so Ford can realize they have a problem.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:46 PM
Mine is going in next Wednesday January 13, 2016. I will post once I have it back. With winter now here in Canada and my roof being closed all the time the noise is unbearable.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:28 AM
Same Problem

I am having the exact same issues as everyone has been posting. Will be watching for a fix!!

Old 01-20-2016, 10:55 AM
Update: It has been repaired and has been silent for the last week. Turns out the sliding roof section was out of alignment a full 1/4" . The pane of glass was also no flush with the rest off the roof. The body shop had it for three days and tightened all rails ands fasteners. The technician said that he has seen this similar issue with the pano roof on the ford edge and it seems to have been solved.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Skinner2
Update: It has been repaired and has been silent for the last week. Turns out the sliding roof section was out of alignment a full 1/4" . The pane of glass was also no flush with the rest off the roof. The body shop had it for three days and tightened all rails ands fasteners. The technician said that he has seen this similar issue with the pano roof on the ford edge and it seems to have been solved.

If I were you, I wouldn't jump so soon at proclaiming it has been repaired. My dealer has done all of the things you mentioned, and at first it seemed to be fixed, but a month later the sound was back. Each of the four times, it took a month for the noise to return. My dealearship now says they are replacing the entire sunroof, because it has become such a big problem.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:02 AM
You are correct the noise is back.......

Old 01-27-2016, 09:02 PM
I just registered today after i Googled 2015 F150 sunroof noise , I have the same cracking sound coming from drivers side also i have this light noise in the driveline that sounds like a noisy hub/bearing on the passenger side that the dealer says it needs to get louder to locate and repair. Being there are several people complaining about this sunroof noise this is definitely a flaw in design or defective part and needs to addressed by FORD and then dealers need to be informed of the repair procedure. I spent a lot of years in a Dodge service department and most dealers can not repair this kind of issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sunroof Noise