2015 - 2020 F-150

Traction control, how to disable auto engage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 02:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traction control, how to disable auto engage?

Can the dealer or am i able to set the traction control to engage when i want it to, not when it its programmed to. Any of you good folks know if i can do this myself??? I hate this auto option. TIA to all.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:26 AM
There is a big button in plain sight next to the emergency flasher button. That button disables/enables the traction control......why would you want to turn it off except maybe to do burnouts?

Last edited by Paul888; 10-26-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Paul888
There is a big button in plain sight next to the emergency flasher button. That button disables/enables the traction control......why would you want to turn it off except maybe to do burnouts?
Why would i want it on always? Thanks for letting me know bout the big button thats in plain sight that i knew about, that turns it on or off, your post is very helpful.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:05 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't think there's any way to disable these systems unless they're on a separate fuse and you can pull the fuse. But I THINK that it's part of the BCM and can't be disabled that way. AFIK the system always turns on when you start the truck and you have to actively disable it every time. The designers of these systems are like SPAMMERS, they expect you OPT OUT instead of having to OPT IN. AFIK the only way to automatically defeat them is to connect a relay to the push button and then use a timer circuit that pulses the relay a few seconds after you start the truck.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Vagabond
Why would i want it on always? Thanks for letting me know bout the big button thats in plain sight that i knew about, that turns it on or off, your post is very helpful.

Name:  6280566a11e6cb4c46dd8843e6ecfd40_zps1szvvgix.jpg
Views: 3914
Size:  8.6 KB

Old 10-28-2016, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by joe51
I don't think there's any way to disable these systems unless they're on a separate fuse and you can pull the fuse. But I THINK that it's part of the BCM and can't be disabled that way. AFIK the system always turns on when you start the truck and you have to actively disable it every time. The designers of these systems are like SPAMMERS, they expect you OPT OUT instead of having to OPT IN. AFIK the only way to automatically defeat them is to connect a relay to the push button and then use a timer circuit that pulses the relay a few seconds after you start the truck.
I think doing as such would have consequences but good thinking, i was hoping there was something in the settings that i could change or have the dealer flash that for me. Thanks!!!

I know what you mean about engineers being sort of like "spammers", there like lonely dolts who feel compelled to participate and not know there place in society and contribute nothing!!

Old 10-28-2016, 11:41 AM
FWIW I wouldn't be so quick to blame the engineers. Decisions like are usually made the top level of management and are driven by their lawyer's perceived fear of POSSIBLE lawsuits.

I kind of agree with Paul, why would you want to turn it off? But IMO, it's your truck and you should be able to do what you want with it.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:22 PM
The timer method is the only way I know of to be able to manually set either TC or Auto start stop.

As far as why? Powering through deep mud is one reason. I'm sure there are many more.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by stuck screw

As far as why? Powering through deep mud is one reason. I'm sure there are many more.
When you think of one let us know. It seems odd to me that you're already persueing this mod but can't give a valid reason for needing it.

If you're driving through deep mud and one tire is spinning enough to trigger ABS, then the only thing that "powering" would do is to dig you into a bigger and deeper hole! You can take my word as gospel on that! I've lived and driven in some of the slipperiest places that you can imagine but even there I've never felt the need automatically disable the ABS.

I agree that you, as the vehicle owner, should have the right and the ability to permanently disable any or all of the NANNY systems that Ford adds but in the case of ABS, I just don't see a good REASON to so.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:15 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
I know that in our later model Ford CV police cars we found a jumper in the glove box that one used to just plug into the harness at the connector after disconnecting it from the button. Effect was every time you started the vehicle, it disabled TC. When doing pursuit work, many preferred the TC disabled and doing so did tend to lengthen rear brake life .... and we had members who had been on since the '70s when they learned things like threshold braking and throttle control and how / when to use them.

I used the jumper but spliced a toggle switch in place .... open switch at start up = normal TC .... closed switch at start up = disabled TC .... and if already disabled, a simple flip open / closed enabled TC as it was a momentary command.

Did NOT affect the ABS operation.

Last edited by tbear853; 10-30-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:42 PM
Can the dealer or am i able to set the traction control to engage when i want it to, not when it its programmed to. Any of you good folks know if i can do this myself??? I hate this auto option. TIA to all.
Originally Posted by Paul888
Wow, so Vagabond asks a stupid question with no details, gets the most obvious answer (based on the question it seems likely that he was not able to find the button) and then gets pissed that someone gave him the answer he needed.

I probably shouldn't continue. But I will anyway.

Did you read your manual Vagabond? Depending on how long you hold that "big button that's in plain sight" the behavior will vary. Pressing it once will turn off TCS but only if you are driving in a straight line. As soon as you turn it will come back on to maintain stability control.
If you hold the button for a longer period (5 seconds maybe? check your manual) it will disable the controls for a greater range of scenarios.

Originally Posted by tbear853
I know that in our later model Ford CV police cars we found a jumper in the glove box that one used to just plug into the harness at the connector after disconnecting it from the button. Effect was every time you started the vehicle, it disabled TC.

Did NOT affect the ABS operation.
I'm 99.8% sure that this does not exist any more Tbear. I will ask the engineer that programmed it when I see him.

As far as the original question - the only way to fully disable the TCS is to pull the fuse. This is not advisable as it will shut down every ESP function.
But maybe it will allow Darwin's law to kick in.... so...

Old 10-31-2016, 03:51 PM
Not to be another "Stick in the mud", but also keep in mind that if you have your TC disabled by means other than the Manufacturer intended, you may be liable in case of an accident. I know some Insurance companies will go to great lengths to avoid paying out $$$.

Depending on the year and model of your truck, you can look at 5* tunes. They offer TC disabling. It's still controlled by the button and TC is on by default, but at least when you hit the TC button once, it disables ALL TC other than ABS.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Even with TC and Advance trac off it still engages over 25 or 30mph. I Flippin Hate it! Nothing Worse than stomping the go pedal at 35 or 40 mph, Tires Break Loose and it falls on its face with everything "off"

I have the 5 star Tunes with Revisions from Jacob and it actually turns everything off when hitting the button. I can punch it at 40 mph, both tires break loose and itll go to 50mph with the tires still crying.

I know TC and Advance Trac is suppose to help us in a Emergency but i want control of the truck, Not the damn computer telling me i can't do something if i decide to be a 16 year old kid and bust some donuts or have a friendly light to light race.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
I have the 5 star Tunes with Revisions from Jacob and it actually turns everything off when hitting the button. I can punch it at 40 mph, both tires break loose and itll go to 50mph with the tires still crying.

That may look and sound like fun... but you are driving much slower because of it. If you were able to feather the throttle so that you don't break the tires loose you would get much better acceleration.

While I agree that I too would enjoy more freedom (greater wheel slip) before the system kicks in, you can also look at this as "good training" that if you are getting a TCS interaction then you shouldn't be hammering the throttle so hard.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:47 AM
wow! wow!! wow!!! stupid question, really?? another dolt!! go away you tool, read your owners manual, god help you if you ever had to drive a manual trans. if you have nothing to contribute, go ********** somewhere else. Have a nice day by the way
OK Patrick! Let us know when you want to disable the airbags and antilock brakes too....always glad to help.

Name:  6280566a11e6cb4c46dd8843e6ecfd40_zps1szvvgix.jpg
Views: 3921
Size:  8.6 KB

Last edited by Paul888; 11-02-2016 at 08:53 AM.