2015 - 2020 F-150

Ft End gear noise at 25 mph

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ft End gear noise at 25 mph

2016 4x4 3.5. Has anyone experienced a ft end noise at 25 mph and light acceleration. Only happens occasionally and usually but not always during first or second drive of the day. Sounds like gears trying to mesh, but 4 wheel drive has not been turned on. Only 3600 miles. I want to get an idea before going to the dealer.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:13 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Sounds like a vacuum issue to the IWE's. They are losing vacuum and trying to engage.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:40 AM
I have a 2015 4x4 3.5 and am experiencing the same noise issues. Mine started a year ago (about 6 months after owning the vehicle). Have had it into the dealership now 4x's and they have still to find the problem. This past week it has happened 5x's (backing up in driveway with a turn, accelerating up a hill, accelerating on flat surface and then this morning accelerating up a hill into a left hand turn. Sounds like something I ran over and then dragging. Nothing under pickup. I have 30,000 miles on truck and warranty will run out at 36,000. Help if you have any information regarding this. Thank you.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:50 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jhsmustang
2016 4x4 3.5. Has anyone experienced a ft end noise at 25 mph and light acceleration. Only happens occasionally and usually but not always during first or second drive of the day. Sounds like gears trying to mesh, but 4 wheel drive has not been turned on. Only 3600 miles. I want to get an idea before going to the dealer.
Hello jhsmustang,

First, you should bring it in to your Ford Dealer and have them fully diagnose it. Then, let’s get this escalated and documented for you. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number. You can schedule an appointment online here.

Originally Posted by christineleclai
I have a 2015 4x4 3.5 and am experiencing the same noise issues. Mine started a year ago (about 6 months after owning the vehicle). Have had it into the dealership now 4x's and they have still to find the problem. This past week it has happened 5x's (backing up in driveway with a turn, accelerating up a hill, accelerating on flat surface and then this morning accelerating up a hill into a left hand turn. Sounds like something I ran over and then dragging. Nothing under pickup. I have 30,000 miles on truck and warranty will run out at 36,000. Help if you have any information regarding this. Thank you.
Welcome to the forum, christineleclai!

My name is Deysha, from Ford Service. I also recommend you bring your vehicle to your local Ford Dealer and get it diagnosed. Then, speak with the service manager, as he is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

Also, remember repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty. You can schedule an appointment online here. Let me know what they say.

Deysha

Old 10-02-2016, 11:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine may be different but I had to have the front pinion bearings replaced on my '12 @ 50K.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:04 PM
getting worse

The noise is getting more frequent and at different situations and speeds (55 mph, 35 mph). Noise is not as loud, so I have to keep the radio off to hear it. When it happens, I let up on the accelerator and it goes away (Locks axels I think). I wonder if I am driving with front axels locked most of the time. At the dealer for day, but didn't hear it. Damage is being done and only 4000 miles and monthly payments. Anyone else had this problem and fix?

Quick Reply: Ft End gear noise at 25 mph