2015 - 2020 F-150

Hill Descent Control Fault 2015 XLT super crew

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 02:36 PM
hpp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hill Descent Control Fault 2015 XLT super crew

I am experiencing an intermittent problem with my 2015 F-150 XLT.

When driving at highway speeds doing nothing remarkable, the Hill Descent Control Fault will suddenly come on and the gas pedal becomes unresponsive - i.e. I can't accelerate or maintain speed and essentially roll to a stop. If I turn off the truck, open the door, close the door, and restart, everything is fine again. The hill descent control is not engaged (not on at all) when this happens and it seems to have happened when going up slight inclines - but this is, as of yet, anecdotal.

The first time it happened I was pulling a boat around the Baltimore beltway and was about an hour+ into a drive. The second time it happened I was pulling nothing and had been driving for maybe 5 to 10 minutes.

We pull horses and boats with this truck and my kids are often with me, so I see this as a big safety issue. The dealer says there are no faults/error codes in the system and that they can't fix anything if they don't see it.

Has anybody else had a similar problem? It occurs to me that it has been hotter and more humid recently and perhaps there is a sensor or wiring issue related ambient conditions.

Thanks for any comments.

- Hugh.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:44 PM
hpp
Hill Descent Fault

More information:

1)Took it to the dealer and they were unable to replicate the problem
2) Dealer said that the history of faults/errors did not show any Hill Descent Fault - or anything related.
3) It has happened again and I have pictures.
4) Each time it has happened it has been over 90 degrees F.
5) The AC may have been on at start up.

Pictures:

The third time it happened it was running rough before failure and it had only been on for 2 minutes. My running theory had been condensation from the AC causing some electrical issue. Now my running theory is that having the AC at startup is causing some glitch in the system boot up and the truck is not driving properly (and not logging errors properly) and then eventually fails. So - some electrical transient causing bit glitches at a critical time or something like that.

Again - I don't want to litter the highway with horse meat, so if anyone has suggestions I would appreciate it. My inclination is to complain and say if the dealer doesn't fix it I want a new truck. We have only had it since November (2015). But - verifying that it is fixed is a problem since it is intermittent.

Thanks for any help.

Sincerely,

Hugh.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:50 PM
I had the same thing happen to me Thursday last week. 2015 Lariat Ecoboost. I had been driving 20 minutes. I turned the truck off, put in park and restarted. No problems since then

Old 07-29-2016, 10:06 AM
hpp
Temperature

I haven't convinced the dealer that the throttle body is the problem. They want to reproduce the problem and so I have been without my truck for the week. They acknowledge that it could be the throttle body, but the error codes they see aren't specifically indicating throttle body, but some sort of communications failure.

One question to slowpoke916: I noticed that the 4 times it happened, it was always above 90 degrees F - and fairly humid. What was the weather like when it happened to you?

Originally Posted by slowpoke916
I had the same thing happen to me Thursday last week. 2015 Lariat Ecoboost. I had been driving 20 minutes. I turned the truck off, put in park and restarted. No problems since then

Old 07-29-2016, 10:09 AM
hpp
I got my forums mixed up - another forum indicates it is a throttle body problem.

http://www.f150forum.com/f118/new-fx...312204/index3/

Old 07-29-2016, 10:20 AM
high 80's with fairly low +/-25% humidity. Thank you for the update! This could lead to a real issue in the wrong traffic

Old 08-22-2016, 01:26 PM
I have a 2015 F150 super crew FX4, i'm having the same issues. I have had it the dealers shop 4 different times (equaling about 2 months in the shop). They keep telling me the same thing they can not replicate the issue and they have never heard of seen this before. however doing a little searching on the web you can find this issue has been going on since at least 2013.

My neighbor just bought a 2016 and it is starting to do the same thing.

yesterday was the worst it has been.
I went into a store my wife sat in the truck. the truck was in park and running (she was in the passenger seat) the down hill descent fault flashed, then the trans not engaged fault, lost power to the AC radio, windows, lights, turn signals, speedometer and all dash lights. while it was in idle.

when we drive it all the faults start and now we get a noise like someone trying to grind a manual trans into gear without the clutch.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:38 PM
they replaced my throttle body and cleaned the pins on a wire harness. seams to be running different, but haven't had the hill descent problem since I got it back

Quick Reply: Hill Descent Control Fault 2015 XLT super crew