2015 - 2020 F-150

2016 Rear Door Panel Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 Rear Door Panel Removal

I thought I'd post this here for a few days so the 2015 - 16 owners had a chance to see it before moving this to the "How To" section (thanks Moderators).

In the course of installing Dynamat (foam on inside of door panels and Xtreme on inside of door skins) I took pics of the process to R&R the rear door panels. Good news, Ford has finally gone to using the same size bolt for all the fastners so you don't need 3 different size wrenches/screwdrivers to remove (nice touch Ford )

Step One: Remove the handle (silver) plastic cover. It is held in by several clips and you will notice a small notch for a screwdriver underneath the front edge. NOTE: Pry off from front to rear as there is a plastic tab in the rear that will break off if you try and remove if from the rear edge first. Note: You are looking at the back side of the door handle cover the plastic tab on the left is the rear of the handle...it comes out last and goes in first.

The 2nd pic is the door handle with the cover removed. There are two 7mm screws that will need to be removed. I used a 1/4" drive socket as you don't want to over tighten when reinstalling. Just noticed the pic is upside down, sorry!

Attached Thumbnails 2016 Rear Door Panel Removal-kr-rear-door-panel-removal-1.jpg   2016 Rear Door Panel Removal-kr-rear-door-panel-removal-2.jpg  

Last edited by HotLap; 07-18-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:46 PM
STEP TWO:Note in the pic above of the door handle area (with cover removed) the plastic cover below the handle (pic is upside down). This cover is what you will be removing next. Simply pry it out at each top corner as there is a clip on each side near the top. Note the plastic tabs at the bottom edge that must come out last in the attached pic. The 2nd pic is the front side of the cover with the tabs along the bottom edge (how you will re-install).

Attached Thumbnails 2016 Rear Door Panel Removal-kr-rear-door-panel-removal-3.jpg   2016 Rear Door Panel Removal-kr-rear-door-panel-removal-4.jpg  

Last edited by HotLap; 07-18-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:56 PM
STEP THREE: With the lower cover removed, you can now see an additional two 7mm screws that need to be removed. Even though the same size 7mm as the door handle screws they are actually smaller so you can't get them mixed up. See pic below:

Attached Thumbnails 2016 Rear Door Panel Removal-kr-rear-door-panel-removal-5.jpg  
Old 07-18-2016, 05:08 PM
STEP FOUR: I didn't get a pic for this step (as it's so straightforward) but now you go to the lower edge of the door panel and will see two more 7mm screws that you'll need to remove. Again these are different sized screws than either set you have removed above so no way to mix them up. Once you have these six screws removed there are only 4 plastic "push pin" type fasteners holding the panel to the inner door frame(far fewer than on my 2013). Give it a sharp pull at both lower corners of the door panel then slide up to the top corners and the two remaining clips will pop. Now you simply lift the entire panel straight up and off. No need to remove the door lock cover, helps if you have it in the locked position.

Once you have the door panel in your hands there are a couple of electrical fasteners you will need to disconnect (ambient lighting and window switch). The last step is unfastening the door handle cable...which is very simple, but not sure I can explain it very well, It simply pries out from the bottom edge then lifts up and out. To reinstall simply insert the top end first and press into its housing and it will easily click into place. If you are meeting resistance either removing or installing, take your time as it really pops out and clicks back in easily. Also, while I did remove the window switch housing (it pops out easily) there is no need for this as there are no fasteners underneath the window switch area. Hoe this helps folks looking to Dynamat or change out speakers, etc., good luck!!

Quick Reply: 2016 Rear Door Panel Removal