2015 - 2020 F-150

Jello bowl ride. What the @$&c# were they thinking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jello bowl ride. What the @$&c# were they thinking?

Over the past fee weeks I have spent a lot of time in 13, 14, 15, and 16 f150's. The refinement of the trucks is impressive, minus one thing, suppressing shuddering from bumps. My 98 has a more harsh ride, but it has no where near the residual vibration/shuddering after hitting bumps. I can't believe Ford did so much to reduce NHV, only to give you the sensation that you are riding on top of jello. Please tell me there is some way to improve this. I love everything about the new trucks, but don't know if I could tolerate the constant shuddering.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:13 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Having come out of an F250 SuperDuty, cushy is not bad.
A suspension kit will solve your dislike. You could also pull the blocks from the rear and add a leaf spring to keep it level if you don't want to lift it. This will make it a little stiffer too. I run around with +/-500 lbs. in the back of a 15 SuperCab FX4 and had to add stiffer shocks to get rid of the looseness in the rear.
There is no way to make a production vehicle to everyone's liking.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:50 AM
Rear swaybar from like hellwig i believe is what I have read is recommended. You loose some flex though. I assume you referrring to it hopping around over like RR tracks?

If it is the ride being too soft get the fx4. Its about as rough as I want and Ive had several 3/4 tons and had timbrens on the half ton I just sold. So tired of the rough ride I keep 2 trucks and this f150 is my daily.

Last edited by joe t.; 05-14-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:48 PM
No. Both of you guys are missing what I'm talking about. Whenever you hit a bump there is a residual shuddering/vibration/jiggling that goes all the way through the seat. The only other publication that mentions it (that I have seen) is consumer reports. The sensation is like that of the ride on an f-350 shuttle bus, but not as bad.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:37 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
What size wheels?

Lower profile tires will have more vibrations throughout

Old 05-18-2016, 05:58 AM
Originally Posted by patman
what size wheels?

Lower profile tires will have more vibrations throughout
17 & 18"

Old 05-18-2016, 08:10 AM
I know the feeling and my thoughts are it is frame flex that has been engineered it to improve ride. Unfortunately the flex turns into a un-damped vibration under some conditions and runs up the frame like a shiver. Toyota made an advertising point on how the Tundra frame was engineered to flex in the "proper" areas like the rear portions to improve ride. I've rode in worse than the F150 and now after 24K miles it's pretty much in the background and not the annoyance it once was. Unfortunately with the infinite frequency of inputs from road surfaces modified by an almost infinite variation of tire flex characteristics and minor variations in mass produced springs, shocks, body mounts, and the wide range of weights of various components that inter act with the suspension such as tires, wheels, axles, springs... It's a tough nut to crack.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by miniceptor86
I know I think your guess was spot-on. feeling and my thoughts are it is frame flex that has been engineered it to improve ride. Unfortunately the flex turns into a un-damped vibration under some conditions and runs up the frame like a shiver. Toyota made an advertising point on how the Tundra frame was engineered to flex in the "proper" areas like the rear portions to improve ride. I've rode in worse than the F150 and now after 24K miles it's pretty much in the background and not the annoyance it once was. Unfortunately with the infinite frequency of inputs from road surfaces modified by an almost infinite variation of tire flex characteristics and minor variations in mass produced springs, shocks, body mounts, and the wide range of weights of various components that inter act with the suspension such as tires, wheels, axles, springs... It's a tough nut to crack.
I think your guess this spot on. I just find it hard to believe that Ford cannot do a better job to eliminate it with cab or seat mounts. All the other mfg don't have this issue.

Last edited by Patman; 05-18-2016 at 12:57 PM. Reason: fixed quote box
Old 05-18-2016, 09:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I absolutely love how smooth my new ride is, I have noticed these "shudders" and they don't bother me one bit. Compared to how rough my 03 Screw rode after years of abuse and old tie rods and ball joints and shocks and springs, this is a BREEZE in comparison.

I also like how perfectly smooth it feels at 105 mph. Even my sports car friend said that was the smoothest 100mph+ ride he's ever felt. So credit to Ford's chassis and suspension design team!

Old 05-18-2016, 08:11 PM
This shudder is almost negligible compared to the 2000 Dodge my employer furnished, but yes that was along time ago! Not so long ago was my 07 double cab short box Tacoma PreRunner. The F150 FX4 Screw rides so much better and no need for air bags to keep the tail from dragging with the camper and MC in the box. And I'm not sure you can say none of the othe PU's have the problem. Some of GM's full size PU's have a "buffeting" or low frequency vibration that very well could be a frame flex harmonic.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by miniceptor86
This shudder is almost negligible compared to the 2000 Dodge my employer furnished, but yes that was along time ago! Not so long ago was my 07 double cab short box Tacoma PreRunner. The F150 FX4 Screw rides so much better and no need for air bags to keep the tail from dragging with the camper and MC in the box. And I'm not sure you can say none of the othe PU's have the problem. Some of GM's full size PU's have a "buffeting" or low frequency vibration that very well could be a frame flex harmonic.
I had a college professor that was hired as an outside consultant 15+ years ago by Ford to eliminate a similar problem on trucks. Apparently the fix wasn't so cheap and easy.
Most of my time has been spent in regular cab, long beds and a little in supercabs. The supercab wasn't as bad. I'll be looking at a supercrew. Hopefully they are better yet.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:28 AM
Ok, yeah the Tundra has this real bad. To the point where some people sell them after having a kid/babyseat because it shutters so bad in the back seat.

I haven't noticed it in the f150. I do have a lariat though so maybe better seats?

It does hop when hitting railroad tracks and does not feel all around as planted as my old TRD Tundra with 5100 bilsteins in the front on the middle setting and 18 inch wheels and 33 inch tires. For what it was that truck was real 'sorted out' and did what it needed to real well, just crappy payload and was getting outdated.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay.

I paid attention to it.

Yes, there is a shudder in mine.

And it is so negligible that I'll never pay attention to it again.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by white elephant
I think your guess this spot on. I just find it hard to believe that Ford cannot do a better job to eliminate it with cab or seat mounts. All the other mfg don't have this issue.
Not true, the 2014-2016 GM/Chevrolet are all over the web with complaints about vibration problems...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Vibration+problems+GM+trucks

Old 05-21-2016, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by soccercoach61
Not true, the 2014-2016 GM/Chevrolet are all over the web with complaints about vibration problems...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Vibration+problems+GM+trucks
The GM vibration issue is completely different than the Ford issue. The Ford issue occurs from the impact of nearly every bump.

Quick Reply: Jello bowl ride. What the @$&c# were they thinking?