2015 - 2020 F-150

My 5 star tune review.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 5 star tune review.

I don't visit this site much as I'm much more active on f150forum than here. I just wanted to share my experience.
My truck is a 2015 crewcab f150 3.5l Eco 4wd 3.55 gears. In January I bought a tuner and tunes with warranty from stage 3/5 star.
When I got the tunes in(87perf/tow 91 perf/tow 93 perf) I installed the 87 perf/tow as I still had half a tank of gas left. Before making any test runs I did log a stock run to see how boost was changed. To my suprise boost stayed exactly the same around 14.8 with stock and the 87 tune. The next morning I contacted stage 3 with this info and this is where the problems started. I was told that the lack of any more boost is normal that the 87 tune is just a refinement of the stock tune. I felt no more power was added with this tune. I was assured that when I ran the 93 perf tune I would be more than pleased( I know laugh at this statement made then). After running the 87 oct out and filling with a top tier gas station 93 I loaded the 93 perf tune it was a joke. I then contacted stage3/5 star and was asked to provide datalogs which I did. I was told by Jacob my datalogs where spot on and he didn't want to change them at all. In fact he said my logs were so good with regards to know and afr he hadn't seen one like it. This went back and forth for a few days the I finally got some revisions they sucked too. After telling them this I was told everything was good. I told them it wasn't and told them that weekend at my own expense I would put my truck on the dyno to prove them wrong. Man did I prove them wrong the truck lost 50 hp from the stock tune. After giving them the dynos and fighting for 3 months and 9 revisions later my truck went back on the dyno. There is a lot more to this story then I'm telling here but this is already a long post.
I dyno the canned 93 sct tune vs the custom 5 star perf tune.
Canned tune made
+34 hp
+ 65 tq over stock
Custom 5 star tune made
+ 36 hp
+ 65tq over stock
I was told by stage3 and 5 star I should see at least 60hp and 105tq over stock.
Jacob told me when they released the tunes that they regular see over these numbers that why they posted the above. He said should be no problem to make these.
Now I went through countless datalogs for them had my pcm updated at there request and 2 separate dyno sessions in the course of 4 months. Now I'm being told as of Friday my pcm is corrupted. Now I bought this truck new the pcm wasn't touched till I programmed it with their tunes. I had it updated at ford per their request now they say it's my pcm. The customer service at 5 star is terrible it got so bad with weeks of no answer and being lied to multiple times I just started dealing with stage 3 soley.
I will say this up till now stage 3 has been great about it.
I will try and post my dyno sheets but I'm on my phone. There is multiple threads going right now on f150forum with all the stats.

So just to recap 5 stars all out perf 93 tune makes a meager 2hp more than the canned sct 93 tune.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:15 PM
Old 05-01-2016, 04:22 PM
The top dyno is my stock run and the bottoms is the 1 5 star 93 perf tune I ran.
I know you may look at my stock and and think it's high these dynos are meant for a comparison only not absolute numbers. Just a no bs difference between the tunes.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:24 PM
Old 05-01-2016, 04:27 PM
This last set of dynos are the 9th revision 93 perf 5 star tune vs the canned 93

Old 05-01-2016, 06:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry for your bad luck. I have had them for a few years and still run their tune sometimes and i like it. 5 star isn't near the fastest available but my tunes give a good amount of power compared to stock. I always tell people its the way the truck should have come from the factory. Their Tow Tunes are outstanding!

Give MPT a call and get a GREAT tune. Those guys know how to tune these trucks. I have over 44k miles now on my MPT tunes and the truck is a blast to drive.

PS, don't always look at boost when running a tune, Some companies like to turn up the boost to 22psi, where as better companies like MPT put more timing in the truck therefore high boost is not needed.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:22 PM
MPT is where I plan to go, once I finally get a tune. Their CS has always been quick to respond, to my questions.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dewalt17
MPT is where I plan to go, once I finally get a tune. Their CS has always been quick to respond, to my questions.
I can't say enough good things about them. Customer service is top notch, tunes are a blast, they actually go in detail about the data logs you send and tell you why or why not they are changing the tunes. The 15 and 16s have the new PRX Tune and it is simply amazing. I'm hoping they bring that tune to the 11 to 14 trucks. I will be first in line when and if they do

Old 12-28-2018, 03:00 PM
Here you can find an article about top 6 tuners for your F150:

https://autokwix.com/review/best-eco...or-ford-f-150/

Old 12-28-2018, 03:27 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Those reviews only use canned tunes. It's not the device, it's the tunes themselves that make the difference. Maybe you should have found some reviews of custom tunes from major tuning houses?

Quick Reply: My 5 star tune review.