2015 - 2020 F-150

New member , slightly new to trucks and alot of questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member , slightly new to trucks and alot of questions

Hello fellows , I've been lurking around the forums for a while and just finally got around to making a account . I just purchased my first truck back in nov. 2015 . A metallic metal 2015 f150 2wd xlt supercrew . Before that I had a 2014 focus st1 .
I liked that little rocket but due to my wife having another baby and alrdy having a 2 yr old , I definitely needed more room . I really loved how the new f150s look . I think the front end is really what sold me . So one day after work I decided to go to the dealership to "browse" . Usually I wouldn't go looking a vehicles unless I've done my research on them , but when I tried , I think I got lost in translation. Xl , xlt , fx2 ,supercab , standard cab , 5.0 ....... WHAT ? I'm usually a car guy , trucks was new . Told the sales guy that I needed more room , and wanted a powerful engine for a decent price .. after discussing they pull a truck up for me to test drive . Fell in love . Lots of room , rides nice , more power than the st . I even asked the sales guy if this was the twin turbo model . He said yes .... I've should've done my research ...

After having the truck home n having it for a week or so and bragging that I got a twin turbo truck to everyone , I started noticing subtle differences between my truck n the other trucks on the road .. like " hey I don't have a ecoboost badge " ... I finally picked up the window sticker n realized that this was a 3.5l v6 ..... ..... even so , I still love my truck . Just a bit disappointed, but no worries , I can definitely mod it . Right ?
.... right ?????

And now today , my friends , I sit here still searching for mods I can do to this motor but can't seem to find much . I've done the rough country 2.5 lift kit with shocks , and put hids in my headlight n fogs ( I know people will shun me for putting hids n reflectors but ... oh well ) .. I've seen roush just came out with a cai for my motor but other than that there isn't too many options for , well, anything . Heck , I can't even find a lift kit for my truck since it's only 2wd .

So I come to the guys who knows this truck the best , to lead me in the right direction . Am I looking n the wrong places or is there just not much interest 3.5 na motor from a upgrade or performance stand point ?

Old 02-06-2016, 11:41 PM
Oh btw , this is my baby

The night I got the truck

The day after

And these are from today .. with the rough country 2.5 level kit and hid

Old 02-07-2016, 08:15 AM
Welcome to the forum. Nice truck. Same color as mine. Have fun doing the mods. Leaving mine pretty much stock. I'am an old fart.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice looking truck.

I drove a 3.5 na before I bought the truck I wound up with. I drove a 4x4 and I was surprised at how well it performed. I was trading an 04 2wd with the 4.6, and the 3.5 felt at least as powerful as that. With 2wd, and you not mentioning towing or anything like that, the 3.5 should be more than adequate.

As for mods, I'm sure someone will come up with a tuner (though I don't know of one available now) which would be your best option for a performance mod. I wouldn't bother with a cai. Not much benefit there.

I'm confused by what you said about a lift kit. You say you did a rough country 2.5 lift kit, and later you say you can't find a lift kit because you're 2wd.

Last edited by jr105; 02-07-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:03 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
You sure it's not the twin turbo Ecoboost? That's also a 3.5 V6. What is the 8th character in the VIN? The NA 3.5 would be "8", the Ecoboost would be "G" or "T".

Old 02-07-2016, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by jr105

I'm confused by what you said about a lift kit. You say you did a rough country 2.5 lift kit, and later you say you can't find a lift kit because you're 2wd.
Sorry I was meaning I have the 2.5 leveling kit . And that I can't find any lift kits

Old 02-07-2016, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by glc
You sure it's not the twin turbo Ecoboost? That's also a 3.5 V6. What is the 8th character in the VIN? The NA 3.5 would be "8", the Ecoboost would be "G" or "T".
Yea ... it's definitely a "8" lol

Old 02-07-2016, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by jr105
Welcome to the forum. Nice looking truck.

I drove a 3.5 na before I bought the truck I wound up with. I drove a 4x4 and I was surprised at how well it performed. I was trading an 04 2wd with the 4.6, and the 3.5 felt at least as powerful as that. With 2wd, and you not mentioning towing or anything like that, the 3.5 should be more than adequate.

As for mods, I'm sure someone will come up with a tuner (though I don't know of one available now) which would be your best option for a performance mod. I wouldn't bother with a cai. Not much benefit there.
I don't do much towing . And as for hauling , the most I have hauled is about 500lb worth of sheet metal from work . So I know the 3.5 is adequate for my needs . I just would like to have more options to mod if I wanted to . I know people say cai wouldn't do much or anything at all but for me I like to tinker

Is the 3.5 na the same motor as the 3.5 eb besides that turbo setup ?

Old 02-07-2016, 02:00 PM
Throw some 4.10 gears in it, tune the transmission, do not throw on a heavy wheel/tire combo.

I do not know what cai or exhaust would do for these trucks besides make extra noise. I wouldnt really spend a lot tuning a natural aspirated gas motor.

Does it have a limited slip or elocker?

I think the 3.5s have the same basic architecture but obviously different.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by joe t.

I do not know what cai or exhaust would do for these trucks besides make extra noise. I wouldnt really spend a lot tuning a natural aspirated gas motor.

Does it have a limited slip or elocker?
I wouldn't mind too much noise just as long as it doesn't sound like an import with a fart can lol . A deep throaty sound would be nice bc I know it's never gonna b a v8 .

I actually don't know if it had a limited slip or elocker .

Old 02-07-2016, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by joe t.

I think the 3.5s have the same basic architecture but obviously different.
The reason I ask is because I've seen plenty of bolt on parts for the Ecoboost and wonder if they would fit/work on the na motor . Like the throttle body and spacers. BTW what is the size of the throttle body on the 3.5 na ?
Everywhere I look , I come up with nothing .

Old 02-07-2016, 03:44 PM
glc
Go ahead and put an exhaust on it for sound purposes, but leave the intake alone. Throttle bodies and spacers won't do squat for you. The engine is pretty close to optimally tuned the way it comes these days. A programmer and some custom tunes will do more for you than any bolt-on mods.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Go ahead and put an exhaust on it for sound purposes, but leave the intake alone. Throttle bodies and spacers won't do squat for you. The engine is pretty close to optimally tuned the way it comes these days. A programmer and some custom tunes will do more for you than any bolt-on mods.
Will none of those add any performance to the truck ? That is very different than what I'm use to . Before the focus st I had a 07 honda civic si and every little thing I did to the motor gave me a nice bump . Well but even so , wouldn't it be nice to have options ?

Not that I don't believe with u , just thinking of it with a different stand point I guess .

I was planning on a tuner sometime soon but don't know which tuner is good for these trucks .. or this motor at least ..

Last edited by lilromeoloc; 02-07-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:35 PM
glc
A SCT device with custom tunes from one of the reputable shops.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:01 PM
I would focus on tuning the transmission more than anything. To have to bump up to premium fuel for minimal gains doesnt sound too inviting.

Also gears and a limited slip would be nice. If you have the elocker then dont know about installing a limited slip, seems like the elocker is suited for offroad only. It should have a **** on the dash where the 4x4 **** should be if it has it.

I dont know about the boltons for the 3.5 ecoboost working on the n/a 3.5. I would think they center around working with the turbos but I dont know. On my eco a tune, gaped plugs, cooler thermostat, and a catchcan seem to be what I am interested in.

Quick Reply: New member , slightly new to trucks and alot of questions