2015 - 2020 F-150

Sunroof Noise Located

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 12:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof Noise Located

I had the all too common sunroof noise show up after a few thousand miles. I took the truck to the dealer and they were able to "fix it". I was told they lubed the track really good and that should solve the problem. The noise was gone for a couple of months but it has started to come back slowly although not as bad yet.

The other day was mild so I had the roof open and I noticed that the noise was not present. That got me thinking so when I got home I started looking and figured out that it was coming from the wind screen that pops up when open. I was able to pull the screen down by hand with the roof open and duplicate the noise.

The noise in mine was on the passenger side and would pop/rattle when turning or over even mild bumps. I realized that it was the support arm on the wind screen and that it was contacting the track that it folds up in.

While it does have some tension on it from the springs the screen has a pretty good bit of side to side play. The problem is that over time it shifts too far and then it is hitting the track. I was able to push it back over away from the track and it has now gone quiet again. There may be some way to take the play out permanently but I have not had time to look at it further.

I know there are some that have had leaks and other problems and this will not solve those but if you just are experiencing the noise then try this first.

Here are some pics of what I am talking about.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:39 PM
Very interesting!! My noise would always stop when it was open also so that would make sense! Going to look now!

Old 02-04-2016, 01:51 PM
You might be on to something here! There is definitely a good amount of side to side play in the wind screen. When it's open and I push the windscreen all the way down and then simulate an up and down movement as if I was going over bumps the drivers side wind screen arm rubs on the track. It could very well be causing the noise! I'm going to watch it over the next week!!

Old 02-04-2016, 02:23 PM

I am pretty positive it is the problem in my case.

I also think that when the dealers work on it they are probably moving the screen during all the other "fixing" without really knowing it and that is why for some it has gone away and then returned later when it just works itself back.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:06 AM
Not so much about the clunking noise (mine doesn't have this issue) but that cloth material wind screen seems like it's not going to last. First time I've seen a cloth one of those on a moon roof. Hope it has some UV resistance added to it or that's going to dry rot before we know it with it being exposed to the sun up there all the time.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:50 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ab46501
I am pretty positive it is the problem in my case.

I also think that when the dealers work on it they are probably moving the screen during all the other "fixing" without really knowing it and that is why for some it has gone away and then returned later when it just works itself back.
Will you be heading back to your dealer to have this looked at again? I'll be happy to check out some options. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer info.

Meagan

Old 02-08-2016, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by FordService
Will you be heading back to your dealer to have this looked at again? I'll be happy to check out some options. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer info.

Meagan
I may take it back in eventually. I still have the case number from the first visit and the contact information for the Ford rep so it can be opened up again.

Thanks for the offer Meagan, if things change I will let you know.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:29 PM
This is the remedy that Ford released in a TSB yesterday and was used on mine. Fingers crossed

Old 03-23-2016, 12:55 PM

Do you have the number or link to the TSB? I am curious to see what it says.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Noise Located