2015 - 2020 F-150

Blower working but no air flow stumped my service dept

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Blower working but no air flow stumped my service dept

I just bought a 2015 xlt and on the way home notice no air flow out of vents. Seems like some kind of vacuum lock in the system. I took the truck back right away and they took it apart somewhat, and got it to move air but by the time I got 20 miles home it wasn't blowing air again. When I shut off the heater it seems to let the air release. No I'm gonna have to take it back again! They said when they took the cabin filter out it helped. Any suggestions???

Old 01-31-2016, 12:33 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I suspect a blend door is stuck closed. Possibly, in the defrost position. Have you checked ALL the outlets, including the defrost ones at the base of the windshield?

- Jack

Old 02-01-2016, 10:51 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Atvwoman
I just bought a 2015 xlt and on the way home notice no air flow out of vents. Seems like some kind of vacuum lock in the system. I took the truck back right away and they took it apart somewhat, and got it to move air but by the time I got 20 miles home it wasn't blowing air again. When I shut off the heater it seems to let the air release. No I'm gonna have to take it back again! They said when they took the cabin filter out it helped. Any suggestions???
Welcome to the forum, Atvwoman; congrats on getting a new truck! I'd like to do what I can to help out with this vent issue. How many miles are on your rig?

Crystal

Old 02-09-2016, 02:15 PM
Also have the blower - no air flow issue '15 2.7 EB

Hello all,

I have the same issue in my 2015 SCREW 2.7 EB F-150 XLT with 1015 miles.

I especially notice it when the temps are near freezing. The blower is going at full capacity yet little to no air is coming out of any of the vents. I have checked the defrost in dash and side window vents, floor vents and dash vents.

Also if their is air coming out of the vents (occasionally it does work) it will stop after about 15-20 minutes regardless of what speed I have the blower set to.

My truck has manual climate control.

I mentioned it to the service department and they said it may start working on its own and they have not heard of this issue before.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by csilwy
Hello all,

I have the same issue in my 2015 SCREW 2.7 EB F-150 XLT with 1015 miles.

I especially notice it when the temps are near freezing. The blower is going at full capacity yet little to no air is coming out of any of the vents. I have checked the defrost in dash and side window vents, floor vents and dash vents...
Welcome to the forum, csilwy. I'll be happy to push this up the chain to your regional customer service manager; they'll work with you and the dealer to ensure it's resolved. To get the ball rolling, send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Old 02-11-2016, 06:56 AM
Originally Posted by FordService
Welcome to the forum, csilwy. I'll be happy to push this up the chain to your regional customer service manager; they'll work with you and the dealer to ensure it's resolved. To get the ball rolling, send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal
Crystal,

Thank you, the dealer/service dept is looking at the issue today & tomorrow. If they are not able to resolve it then I will send you a message.

Thanks again for your willingness to help.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:41 AM
Crystal,

Thank you, the dealer/service dept is looking at the issue today & tomorrow. If they are not able to resolve it then I will send you a message.

Thanks again for your willingness to help.
Sounds like a plan, csilwy; I'll be here if you need my help.

Crystal

Old 02-15-2016, 08:37 PM
Update

Update:

The dealer was able to recreate the issue after having my truck for 6 days. They said they believe it is a blower door but are not sure which one. The service manager said he has a call into Ford for more info.

Side note - The dealer left me without a vehicle over the holiday weekend. They finally relented and gave me a rental car (Prius). I am regretting my purchase from this dealer.

More updates to come...

Old 02-16-2016, 10:57 AM
Update:

The dealer was able to recreate the issue after having my truck for 6 days. They said they believe it is a blower door but are not sure which one. The service manager said he has a call into Ford for more info.

Side note - The dealer left me without a vehicle over the holiday weekend. They finally relented and gave me a rental car (Prius). I am regretting my purchase from this dealer.

More updates to come...
Thanks for the update, csilwy. If you'd like me to help out, just send a PM my way with the details I listed above.

Crystal

Old 02-16-2016, 12:58 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Update:

More updates to come...
Do they have a Lemon law where you live? If so I'm strongly advise you to start documenting EVERYTHING. Every dammed detail of who you talk to, what was said, what was done, when you took it in, IF they gave you a loaner car and what kind, EVERYTHING.

I've been down this road (not Ford) and after 5 repairs the dealer kept denying that there was a problem in the evaporations emissions system UNTIL I started a Lemon Law suit and THEN they finally actually did some troubleshooting and found the problem in less than 20 minutes!

Old 02-17-2016, 10:31 PM
2nd Update:

The service dept called today and stated they fixed my truck. They said the issue was with the fan clutch. It was not allowing the evaporator receive air and was essentially a frozen evaporator that was not allowing air flow. The clutch was at the low end of tolerance/clearance and was the culprit. They replaced the clutch.

They mentioned that they were only able to replicate the issue in freezing weather and we may not know if it is fixed until we have another freeze. Time will tell. I am hopeful that it is fixed. If not, I have been documenting all transactions and have researched lemon law requirements for my state. I want to give the dealer an opportunity to fix the issue but once they cross the threshold for the lemon law I will pursue it.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:13 PM
Fixed!

They replaced the fan clutch. They call Ford and was told that was the culprit. The fan clutch did not have enough clearance and was causing the evaporator to freeze.

Everything has been working fine for the past few days. If there are any issues I will post another update.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:57 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Atvwoman - was your blower issue ever fixed? I notice you never replied to Crystal. I'm sure she can help if you give her the chance.

- Jack

Old 06-27-2016, 04:22 PM
Any updates with this issue would be greatly appreciated. I just started experiencing this problem with a new 2016 XL that I purchased a week ago. Will be dropping it at the service center tomorrow.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:13 PM
My problem had resolved itself before I could get it in the service department's hands yesterday, presumably because whatever had frozen "unfroze". The service department said they checked pressure levels and everything was fine and could not replicate the problem. The problem reoccurred for about 10 minutes (air volume slowly fades and loses the chill, but blower still working) this morning during my commute which didn't offer me enough time to get it over to the dealer for them to see it occurring. Any suggestions from anyone? This is a game I do not want to be playing with a truck that has 450mi on it.

Quick Reply: Blower working but no air flow stumped my service dept