2015 - 2020 F-150

Windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield replacement

Has anyone had their windshield replaced yet? How much and where did you go? I have a 14" crack and have absolutely no idea where it came from.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Glass is usually covered under your insurance policy. Check with your broker to find out more.

Also, I personally do NOT recommend Safelite. Their windshields are rubbish and they don't install them correctly too.

I highly recommend having the dealer do it with OEM/Motorcraft glass and adhesives.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:36 PM
I'm agree! I'm going to the dealership tomorrow. I'm curious if there could be some kind of flaw. I know nothing has hit the windshield and I'm the only driver. The crack wasn't there yesterday at 7pm which is the last time I drove her.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:58 PM

Laminated glass like the windshield is under high stress and is bulk manufactured. You might have just been lucky enough to get a bad piece of glass. Although, from handling laminated glass at work, I've had it randomly blow up in my hands; sounds like a gun shot. Scary experience, but you get a laugh at the end with all the little pebbles it makes. Clean up, eh... my laughter stops. So it might've been hit with something and you didn't even know it. Crazy enough, if you leave it outside, it might even have been hit with something that came out of the sky. Seen crazier things.

Not sure what the dealer will do, but I would see if they will foot the bill first. Then go the insurance route.

Being it a 2015, I would absolutely insist on OEM glass.

Very nice truck btw, I like the color.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Yeah I am getting one at the dealer. They are doing it around $550 I think.

I see quite a few of these 2015 F150s with cracked windshields.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a 6"-8" crack appear on mine from the bottom in the center starting below the molding. It happened the first time I used the defroster on a cold morning. About 2 min after I turned the defroster on I heard a loud pop and there it was.

I brought it to the dealership and they claimed to see a small chip so it wouldn't be covered by warranty. In MA glass replacement is covered 100% by insurance, so I didn't bother disputing this. I had it replaced at a local shop that does business with dealerships here, and had Ford replacement glass put in. I looked at it with the tech that did the replacement and neither of us could see a chip.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:16 PM
Mine definately cracked from a stupid rock...

Old 12-27-2015, 08:28 PM
I've had rocks hit before and that definitely hasn't happened. I will try to post a couple of pictures tomorrow. It starts from the top and curves down towards the center right in the middle of the passenger side.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Laminated glass like the windshield is under high stress and is bulk manufactured. You might have just been lucky enough to get a bad piece of glass. Although, from handling laminated glass at work, I've had it randomly blow up in my hands; sounds like a gun shot. Scary experience, but you get a laugh at the end with all the little pebbles it makes. Clean up, eh... my laughter stops. So it might've been hit with something and you didn't even know it. Crazy enough, if you leave it outside, it might even have been hit with something that came out of the sky. Seen crazier things.

Not sure what the dealer will do, but I would see if they will foot the bill first. Then go the insurance route.

Being it a 2015, I would absolutely insist on OEM glass.

Very nice truck btw, I like the color.
Thanks ManualF150! I love the color!! Some say it's brown, some say it's burnt orange, and some say it's maroon. Depending on the lighting the color looks like it changes. It's pretty cool!! I'm going into the dealership tomorrow and my wife is calling our insurance company. Hopefully something will work out!

Old 12-29-2015, 10:36 AM
$422 later the windshield is replaced. Ford wouldn't do anything and my insurance company said it would be a $250 deductible. I decided to just go ahead and pay for it myself. My dealership outsources all the glass work to a company down the street so I had them replace it with OEM glass. I feel like I just flushed $422 down the toilet. Oh well, sometimes there's nothing we can do about some things.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:44 AM
$422 isnt bad. Is that with tax? Who did it?

Old 12-29-2015, 01:40 PM

At least you had it done via the dealer and it is OEM glass that you know will be quality.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by joe t.
$422 isnt bad. Is that with tax? Who did it?
That was everything out the door! I was prepared for $550 so I can't complain too much. Perfection Auto Glass which has a couple of locations in the Indianapolis area. They were great to deal with! I called yesterday afternoon and gave them my VIN. They ordered the glass had me in at 8am today. It took just over an hour and I was on my way. All the work has a lifetime warranty and if I happen to get any rock chips the first year they will fix them for free. It sucks to have to spend that money but I feel good about how it played out!

Old 12-29-2015, 10:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
At least you had it done via the dealer and it is OEM glass that you know will be quality.
Just an FYI, OEM Carlite glass is the ONLY glass available for 2015 and 2016 F150's...

Even sorry *** Safelite doesnt have cheap glass yet, unless they are buying defect glass Ford rejects

Anyway I already had to have mine done, Insurance covered it, I took it to a local glass shop who got glass from Ford. Insurance covered it at no cost, but I had to take it to a dedicated glass repair place. They would not pay for it to be done at the dealer. Anyway I am happy with the work they did.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:17 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Why didn't you claim it and pay just the deductible?

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement