2015 - 2020 F-150

2.7 Orange Wrench Light - Check Manual???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is everything going with the wrench warning light?

Old 07-17-2016, 09:52 AM
Im having the same problem with my 2015 f150.After taking it to the dealer I was told I couldn't drive it.The dealer says its going to be after July 27th before the parts will be here,thats going to be three weeks without my truck. Im having to cancel camping trips with my famliy because of this,just wondering if there are any parts available before then.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:29 PM
2015 2.7 eco boost engine - "wrench" indicator came on at 4800 miles. At the dealer now waiting for a transmission fluid pump. Seeing way too many of these issues at way too few miles. Need my truck to tow a boat on Tuesday. Not even sure the part will be in on Monday

Old 08-13-2016, 01:33 PM
Same on 2015 F-150 with only 7K miles

Orange wrench pops up during 12 hour road trip. Information is not adequate to decide whether to continue or no. It is Sat afternoon no dealer open today or tomorrow. Based on what I have seen in the forum, it sounds like I can complete my trip before killing a day of vacation at a dealer. It does not sound critical but better information in the warning would be helpful by Ford and let customers make informed decisions. Having to go to a forum to understand an error on a digital truck is disappointing.

Truck was great.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:10 AM
orange wrench....

Ok after seeing some of this issues this brought up I tried to find a dealer in the downeast region of Maine to have a look at what causes this notification. Two dealers could not see me for almost 4 days, very helpful. But Whited Ford Trucks took me in on the spot to check out what was going on in the new F150. They were great but found a problem with the Auto Start-Stop that they have never seen before and could not fix without a great deal of work with Ford. We decided it was not critical (function still works) and I will work with a dealer when I get back home, if I make it.

Biggest issue is that I wasted a good part of a vacation day chasing down this message on a brand new digital truck. With the technology available you would think we could get a SPECIFIC error signal presented to us that we could call to get clarification to discover how serious the problem is. Indeed, it took them only a few minutes to get the error code off of the truck at the dealer. The conversations with the other dealers over the phone was unbelievable running from ignore it to stop driving the truck..... It is regrettable that this is not done to force trips to the dealer once warranty is out. But for us under warranty it is a loss for both the customer and dealer.

very disappointing.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:00 PM
Aux transmission pump

I have a '15 F150 with the eco boost. The orange wrench came on with under 9K on it. Was just told it is the auxiliary transmission pump. I am certainly hoping it won't take 3 weeks to fix. I was counting on this truck to be as dependable as our 02 F150...it has 250K and has had very few issues. Of course, it doesn't have all the computer crap this one does.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:08 AM
orange wrench....

To complete this story. I ignored the orange wrench during my vacation as the Bangor dealer claimed it had to do with the automatic off with idling and not a critical issue, though he did not know how to fix it. Came back to Maryland and dealer confirmed it WAS the transmission pump mentioned by others in this thread. Wonderful. Took 5 days to get the pump part.... Should this be a recall?
The cabin heater stop functioning on the way back. It was replaced while waiting for the part. Not a happy camper.

Two suggestions.

1) Recall the transmission pumps
2) Make the error codes available to the customer ON THE TRUCK. So we can provide proper information to dealers and confirm....... This is a simple fix with the technology already present in the truck.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:03 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
There will never be a recall because it's not a safety issue. It's covered under the powertrain warranty.

Parts stores in all states except Hawaii and California read error codes free, and code readers are only about 20 bucks if you want to read them yourself.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:59 AM
I just got the same problem. I have a 15 f150 ecoboost xlt 3,300 miles and the wrench light came on!

Old 12-06-2016, 07:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As has already been stated, it's a warranty issue. Don't mess around with it and so go see your dealer.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:19 AM
2015 F150 supercrew 4x4 2.7 orange wrench

I am getting the same code at 27,000 miles. Checked every dealer in my area and cannot get in to see one until next week. My OBD II scanner isnt throwing any codes though. Light has been coming on for about a week after a short period of driving. While waiting to get to my Ford dealer, i took it to a local mechanic with a better OBD II code scanner. Kicked back a host of error or DTC codes. He thinks the ECU PCM is faulty. Seems like a really common problem. Is there an aftermarket ECU thats bettr than the OEM one?

Old 07-29-2017, 10:02 PM
Lightbulb Update to Orange Wrench 2.7 4x4

Originally Posted by Douglas Atkins
I am getting the same code at 27,000 miles. Checked every dealer in my area and cannot get in to see one until next week. My OBD II scanner isnt throwing any codes though. Light has been coming on for about a week after a short period of driving. While waiting to get to my Ford dealer, i took it to a local mechanic with a better OBD II code scanner. Kicked back a host of error or DTC codes. He thinks the ECU PCM is faulty. Seems like a really common problem. Is there an aftermarket ECU thats bettr than the OEM one?
Update. I have determined mine is tied to the auto start stop feature. If I manually turn it off, the wrench never appears. If I leave it on, the wrench will come on the first time the auto start stop is activated at a stop light or dead stop traffic. We took a trip recently and we were stuck in 2 hours of stop/start traffic. I think that did my auto start stop feature in. Appointment at dealer tomorrow finally. I'll update you then.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:28 PM
wrench light

I too had the wrench light come on in my 2015 F150 truck - dealer had to replace the transmission fluid auxiliary pump.
This is my second warranty visit in on this truck ---- not the "tough" vehicle I thought I was buying.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:47 AM
Thumbs down Orange Wrench = Transmission Pump Failure

Originally Posted by sagersue
I too had the wrench light come on in my 2015 F150 truck - dealer had to replace the transmission fluid auxiliary pump.
This is my second warranty visit in on this truck ---- not the "tough" vehicle I thought I was buying.
Took mine into the dealer. Same problem. They had to replace the transmission pump. Truck has 27,700 miles. Covered under the warranty but the power train only goes 5 years or 60,000 miles whichever comes first. I will hit that in 3 years. This was a $1,200 repair. If this is going to fail every 27,000 miles, this is going to be a money pit of a vehicle. Not what I had come to expect from Ford F150s.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:54 PM
totally agree! Mine had 23K miles on it. Disappointing.......

Quick Reply: 2.7 Orange Wrench Light - Check Manual???