2015 - 2020 F-150

Wind/road noise

Old 10-25-2015, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wind/road noise

I have a 2015 XLT Sport Supercrew with around 1200 miles on it. I am noticing what appears to be wind noise or possibly road noise coming from the rear, starts around 40, it's not real loud but is a bit annoying. My 2003 King Ranch Supercrew was as quiet as a Cadillac so guess I'm spoiled. I was wondering if I should get soundproofer sprayed on underneath. so far this is my only gripe on the truck.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:57 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2015 is so much night and day more quiet than my 2005 was, it's amazing. No idea what that sound could be

Old 10-26-2015, 11:28 AM
Technical Article Contributor

No loud wind or noise here either. Must be something causing it.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jayhawker
I have a 2015 XLT Sport Supercrew with around 1200 miles on it. I am noticing what appears to be wind noise or possibly road noise coming from the rear, starts around 40, it's not real loud but is a bit annoying. My 2003 King Ranch Supercrew was as quiet as a Cadillac so guess I'm spoiled. I was wondering if I should get soundproofer sprayed on underneath. so far this is my only gripe on the truck.
Hi jayhawker,

I'd recommend making an appointment at your dealership so they can track down the noise. If possible, take your tech on a test drive and replicate the sound; it'll aid them in their diagnosis. Additionally, I'll notify your regional customer service manager. To make that happen, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealer.

Crystal

Old 11-12-2015, 03:32 PM
Ok, I took it to the dealer and the service writer took it for a drive and brought it back and says he can hear the wind noise, said he took another truck on the lot for a drive and said it had the same noise,,said he checked the seals and there is nothing wrong with my truck and nothing they can do.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jayhawker, I think mine is pretty quiet, but I normally have the stereo on. Are you hearing it with the radio off and the windows down?

Do you have a bedliner or cover? Mine has the plastic drop in bedliner. I'll roll the windows down and see if I have any road noise on my way home tonight.

My '04 F150 had a good deal of road noise, but that was after I put larger / slightly more aggressive tires on it. What size rims and brand of tires do you have?

If you're noticing it, something must be causing it.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:01 AM
It sounds like wind noise behind me on the left side, at highway speeds it is a constant roar in my left ear, starts getting noticeable at 30mph and is really bad if there is a strong wind blowing on the left side. i'm going to get a friend to ride back there and see if he can pinpoint it, and have him pull on the door handle to tighten up the seal and see if it goes away. Damed shame I have to troubleshoot it myself.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:04 AM
I agree, the Ford tech should be able to troubleshoot that for you. Just because another truck had the same noise, doesn't make it normal.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:07 AM
The service writer is the one who checked it out, if a new truck on the lot has the same noise they are going tomhave another unhappy cistomer. Mine has 18"wheels and whatever tires came on it, I can tell it is not road noise from the tires.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:12 AM
Makes sense... if it was road noise from the tires, you would probably hear it more all the way around.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:55 PM
Just talked to the Ford Rep, she says this is supposedly normal for this vehicle, but she is sending me to another dealership for a second opinion, this time I will ride with them when they test drive it, I hope it isn't something I will have to "just live with".

Old 11-19-2015, 08:50 AM
Jayhawker, I turned the radio off, rolled the windows down, and checked for road noise a few times now. I'm not hearing any road noise. I don't think its normal for this vehicle. Something must be causing it. The only extra noise I hear is the turbo's when I give it a little extra gas, but that's not the same as road noise.

Did you have your friend ride in the back to see if he can pinpoint it?

Old 11-19-2015, 09:23 AM
I've test driven two and both my wife and I can't believe how quiet they are. No wind noise whatsoever. They were both quieter than my X5. You don't by chance have the tow mirrors, do you? I could see how those might make additional wind noise.

Last edited by leikos; 11-19-2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:55 AM
I took it to a second dealer, the tech got in the back while I drove, I was hearing it and he said he could barely hear it, put his ear around all the door,,said all he could was a bit of wind turbulance and some noise from the tires, determined there was nothing they could do. The first dealership tried to blame my tonneau cover. i'm thinking about taking it somewhere and getting it undercoated with sound proofing. I was even told by the Ford rep that this is inherent to the 2015 super crews, basically I'm going to have to live with it. It doesn't have tow mirrors so it can't be that.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:00 AM
Jayhawker, have you tried driving it without the tonneau cover on? Is it vinyl or aluminum? I don't have a cover on mine (yet), but its a 2015 Super Crew without the road noise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wind/road noise