2015 - 2020 F-150

Garage door opener

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garage door opener

My 2012 Lariat had the garage door opener in the visor, I ordered my new 2015 Lariat but no opener came in the visor. Anyone know if I could just swap out a visor from the dealer and it would work. In other words is it already wired into the roof liner and I just have to connect it.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rake1
My 2012 Lariat had the garage door opener in the visor, I ordered my new 2015 Lariat but no opener came in the visor. Anyone know if I could just swap out a visor from the dealer and it would work. In other words is it already wired into the roof liner and I just have to connect it.
The only thing it needs is power, and the standard visor mirror should have power for the light by the mirror already anyway, so it should be plug and play. I added the HomeLink module (purchased off eBay) to the existing visor in my '08 Super Duty and it worked perfectly. The cutouts were already in the plastic part of the visor. You could likely go that route and save some $$$, just be careful prying the covering off the visor.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The door opener themselves are all pretty universal, so yes you can just switch the visor out but you will have to provide power to it. I just tapped into the dome light that has constant power on mine.

Are the visors the same design between the two models just for appearance sake ?

Old 09-09-2015, 04:51 PM
I was hoping the wiring was already in the visor but the little control switches were just not installed from the factory. I have a remote now that works but need another one so I was wanting to get the ford one installed and use the universal remote for my other car.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:14 PM
I was hoping the wiring was already in the visor but the little control switches were just not installed from the factory. I have a remote now that works but need another one so I was wanting to get the ford one installed and use the universal remote for my other car.
Does the visor have the vanity mirror with the lights? Worst case, you tap into the supply for that. Not a big deal.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Does the visor have the vanity mirror with the lights? Worst case, you tap into the supply for that. Not a big deal.
Yes it does

Old 09-10-2015, 09:31 AM
Yes it does
Then you've got power, so if you get a replacement visor from the dealer, it should just plug in. If you get a module to put in, you likely just need to splice into the power for the vanity lights. Fairly simple job.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:27 PM
Thanks guys I will let you know what comes out of this

Old 01-09-2017, 11:51 AM
I have a 2016 XLT 5.0 with the options upgrade package. I cannot find any HomeLink buttions and since you have a Lariat and even it has none, what trim level had to be ordered to get the HomeLink buttons on a 2016 F150? At least there is some good info on this forum into adding it if you wish.

Quick Reply: Garage door opener