2015 - 2020 F-150

Defects in King Ranch Leather on Brand New truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Defects in King Ranch Leather on Brand New truck

So the day after I picked up my new King Ranch, I noticed a bunch of strange marks on the front passenger seat back leather covering. I had not noticed when I took delivery of the truck, as it was at night, but when I got it out in the sun the marks were obvious.

At first I thought is was something on the seat that I could wipe off, but after closer inspection, the marks are actually in the leather, as though the color is missing. Since the truck only had 18 miles on it when I picked it up and no one has even sat in the passenger seat since I've had it, I assume it came from the factory like this.

However, Ford is denying the claim to replace the cover, and says to just add king ranch conditioner, citing that King Ranch Chaparral leather can have marks. "Chaparral" leather?! That's what Ford used in 2001 (the original KR saddle leather), not like the leather now that is simply colored. Conditioning wont do anything to fix the issue. All my other seats are perfect, and I looked at 5-6 other KRs on the lot and none of them have similar marks.

For a brand new $63k+ truck, I expect it to be fixed. Has anyone else seen this? Is there a Ford rep on the forum that can help me?

Here's some pictures that show the marks. In the closeup, you can see the mark is actually missing color finish in the leather.

Last edited by KingRanch979; 08-15-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually...
Castano leather was used on the original KR through sometime around 2007 or so. Then it was changed to the darker Chaparral leather. What it looks like in your pictures would be called a "bloom" and is perfectly normal for KR leather. Give the conditioner a try and it should take this stuff right off. I would also highly recommend going down the the King Ranch section and reading up on the best way to keep your leather looking good.

One other tip, look for Apache cream made by Justin Boots. It seems to be nearly identical to the KR conditioner but about 1/3 the price. It kept my KR looking great through 155,000 miles.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
Actually...
Castano leather was used on the original KR through sometime around 2007 or so. Then it was changed to the darker Chaparral leather. What it looks like in your pictures would be called a "bloom" and is perfectly normal for KR leather. Give the conditioner a try and it should take this stuff right off. I would also highly recommend going down the the King Ranch section and reading up on the best way to keep your leather looking good.

One other tip, look for Apache cream made by Justin Boots. It seems to be nearly identical to the KR conditioner but about 1/3 the price. It kept my KR looking great through 155,000 miles.
Ah, yes, my mistake. Castano came first, then Chaparral. Regardless, the leather Ford referred to is not what is in my truck.

I don't think the marks are "bloom". Bloom should easily come off with KR conditioner and/or a horse hair brush. I've tried both and the marks aren't coming off.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanch979
So a couple days after I picked up my new King Ranch, I noticed a bunch of strange marks on the front passenger seat back leather covering. I had not noticed when I took delivery of the truck, as it was at night, but when I got it out in the sun the marks were obvious.

At first I thought is was something on the seat that I could wipe off, but after closer inspection, the marks are actually in the leather, as though the color is missing. Since the truck only had 18 miles on it when I picked it up and no one has even sat in the passenger seat since I've had it, I assume it came from the factory like this.

However, Ford is denying the claim to replace the cover, and says to just add king ranch conditioner, citing that King Ranch Chaparral leather can have marks. "Chaparral" leather?! That's what Ford used in 2001 (the original KR saddle leather), not like the leather now that is simply colored. Conditioning wont do anything to fix the issue. All my other seats are perfect, and I looked at 5-6 other KRs on the lot and none of them have similar marks.

For a brand new $63k+ truck, I expect it to be fixed. Has anyone else seen this? Is there a Ford rep on the forum that can help me?

Here's some pictures that show the marks. In the closeup, you can see the mark is actually missing color finish in the leather.
If you scroll down to the bottom of the main forum page, click on "View Forum Leaders", then scroll down to "Official Ford Representatives" their are three of them for you.

Hope you get it squared away.. Personally I think it looks awful and for what you paid for the truck I'd have a really hard time living with.. Actually, I wouldn't!

Old 08-14-2015, 03:25 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
The rep for US customers here is "FordService" (Crystal) - send her a PM if she doesn't see this thread soon.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:13 PM
Thanks, ya'll. I sent a message to Crystal. I'll keep you posted.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:44 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Thanks, ya'll. I sent a message to Crystal. I'll keep you posted.
Hi KingRanch979,

I received your message this morning and sent you a reply. I'll see what I can do to help.

Crystal

Old 08-20-2015, 01:34 PM
Well, my new King Ranch seat cover was installed this morning. All is right in my world now

Thank you so much Crystal (FordService) and Bluebonnet Ford for helping in resolving the issue. So awesome!

-Adam

Old 08-20-2015, 01:36 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Glad it was worked out for you.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:40 PM

Well, my new King Ranch seat cover was installed this morning. All is right in my world now

Thank you so much Crystal (FordService) and Bluebonnet Ford for helping in resolving the issue. So awesome!

-Adam
Sweet! Glad to see they stepped up and took care of you.. That woulda been a hard one to live with..

Old 08-20-2015, 01:57 PM
Ford Customer Service Team

-Adam
It was my pleasure to help, Adam! I'm always just a PM away if you need any assistance in the future.

Crystal

Quick Reply: Defects in King Ranch Leather on Brand New truck