2015 - 2020 F-150

Do you own a 2015? If so, what is your experience to date??

Old 05-07-2015, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you own a 2015? If so, what is your experience to date??

I know this is a F-150 forum and these kinds of sites tend to attract enthusiasts. That being the case, I sure would like your objective thoughts on your experiences so far. Ive been flat on my back for two months, have one more to go. Right before I was injured, I sold my 05 King Ranch. It was the best truck I've owned and I've owned a 1/2 truck from every manufacturer except Nissan. There are some design elements I don't care for on the 15's. I'll explain why below. If someone can tell me if I'm correct or overly concerned.

1. Address the overall experience with the truck to date.

2. Specifically address the quality of workmanship and particularly materials used. ANY thing you haven't liked so far?

3. What engine did you chose, the gas mileage in city and highway. If your a light footed driver or a heavy footed driver it would help me understand your results.

4. The new center control column (radio, a/c heat etc.) is wrapped by a lot of black semi glossy plastic -- does this show finger prints and dust excessively. I really wish they had continued with the wood grain column as in the 13/14. The wood grain was sharp and didn't show finger prints like the earlier models.

5. The leather seats appear to have very thin leather or the leather doesn't quite fit in many of the pictures I've seen. Is this just the pre-production trucks or are you experiencing the same thing.

6. Does anyone have experience with the latest generation of RAM trucks to compare and contrast. The materials in the RAM seem to be very very good. I only ask because the F-150 has become so very expensive. I owned a Dodge pickup years ago and it was just -- okay but I know a lot has changed in 10 years.

7. I've read that the Ford spray in liner isn't as good as Linex bedliner. Any thoughts?

Thank you for your time, I think there may be a lot of folks out there who would like to know your experiences so far.

Last edited by btidwell; 05-11-2015 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Add to question and misspelled words
Old 05-08-2015, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by btidwell
I know this is a F-150 forum and these kinds of sites tend to attract enthusiasts. That being the case, I sure would like your objective thoughts on your experiences so far. Ive been flat on my back for two months, have one more to go. Right before I was injured, I sold my 05 King Ranch. It was the best truck I've owned and I've owned a 1/2 truck from every manufacturer except Nissan. There are some design elements I don't care for on the 15's. I'll explain why below. If someone can tell me if I'm correct or overly concerned.

2. Specifically address the quality of workmanship and particularly materials used.

3. What engine did you chose, the gas mileage in city and highway. If your a light footed driver or a heavy footed driver it would help me understand your results.

4. The new center control column (radio, a/c heat etc.) is wrapped by a lot of black semi glossy plastic -- does this show finger prints and dust excessively. I really wish they had continued with the wood grain column as in the 13/14. The wood grain was sharp and didn't show finger prints like the earlier models.

5. The leather seats appear to have very thin leather or the leather doesn't quite fit in many of the pictures I've seen. Is this just the pre-production trucks or are you experiencing the same thing.

6. Does anyone have experience with the latest generation of RAM trucks to compare and contrast. The materials in the RAM seem to be very very good. I only ask because the F-150 has become so very expensive. I owned a Dodge pickup years ago and it was just -- okay but I know a lot has changed in 10 years.

7. I've read that the Ford spray in liner isn't as good as Linex bedlinen. Any thoughts?

Thank you for your time, I think there may be a lot of folks out there who would like to know your experiences so far.

1. Experience so far has been tremendous. This is the best vehicle I have owned, and at 53 I have owned quite a few. Ford obviously spent a lot of time on the design and implementation of the features available on the F150. Even my family of Chevy die-hards are totally impressed with this truck.

2.Quality is outstanding. I have a Dearborn-built truck that was assembled in late February. Obviously, they have worked out the kinks.

3. I have the 3.5 Ecoboost, I had a 2013 King Ranch with the same engine and this one seems much more responsive. There are two settings now, tow/haul and Sport. In sport, the truck is a completely different animal and incredibly fun to drive. I am a heavy footed driver an still manage between 19 and 20 MPG in the city. On a recent trip I got an average of 23, which I find almost unbelievable for a full-size truck.

4. I have the Platinum. I don't find any of the interior surfaces objectionable, in fact, I think the quality of the interior is approaching the luxury market standard.

5. The issue you describe must be on pre-production trucks. The quality of leather in my Platinum is unbelievable, it may appear thin, but it actually feels quite supple and I love it.

6. No experience with Ram other than know a few people that have them. They are all considering upgrading to the 2015 F150.

7.No experience with the factory spray-in liner. Mine has a drop in that is coming out later this month for a BedRug. I had one in my King Ranch and I personally think it is the best way to go.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Alcoa aluminum all the way....

Old 05-11-2015, 11:25 AM
Thank you for taking the time to respond Chuck. Buying a $55K 1/2 ton is a big commitment and I'm finding the competition as fierce as I've ever seen it in my 32 years of driving. First f-150 I purchased at Ford Dealer in Roswell NM was an 83 F-150 XL. It was $11600. The last one an 05KR as just below $40K. Most of the trucks I see today are pushing $60K. My income hasn't gone up nearly as fast as the price of new trucks so I'm spending a lot more time researching. Thanks again.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:53 PM
No problem, glad to help. If you find you have any specific questions, let me know!

Good look with your search!

-Chuck

Old 05-12-2015, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by btidwell

2. Specifically address the quality of workmanship and particularly materials used. ANY thing you haven't liked so far?

7. I've read that the Ford spray in liner isn't as good as Linex bedliner. Any thoughts?

1. I have had my '15 F150 for about two weeks now, and I love it. I am going from a '07 FX4 supercab to my '15 Lariat FX4 supercrew cab.

2. So far everything I have experienced has been top notch. Every time I shut one of the doors I admire how solid they feel as they close. The one "mini" gripe I have it the sun roof. I know its just me but I get annoyed that I can't work the sun shade and the sunroof at the same time. Like I said it's just me and its not really a big deal.

3. I have the 3.5 Ecoboost with the 36 gallon tank. Here is where I'm not sure if its me or I need to have my truck looked at. My first tank of gas left something to be desired. I got around 13.5 mpg. Now this number reflects more of the heavy footed driving since I was showing all my "jealous" friends how much get up and go it really has. Side not- it has a ton! Now that I am on my second tank, and driving like I normally will be. I am only getting 14.6. I don't think I am a naturally heavy footed driver especially since I was at 13.5 on my last tank. I think I should be getting much better numbers than this, anyone else have the same experience?

4. With the Lariat there is a lot of leather trim on the dash, which is really nice looking. I haven't noticed the center console showing a lot of finger prints, but right now we are dealing with a lot of pollen in Pittsburgh and there is no hiding that on any surface.

5. The leather seats and trim feel very plush to me. Love them.

6. I do not have experience with the RAM. I have some with a '13 TUNDRA and there is no comparison in quality from the luxury stand point.

7. I had my '07 lined and loved it. When I ordered my '15 I had it factory installed. It is thinker than the aftermarket one I had in my '07, and like it much better. Only thing that isn't lined is where the tailgate meets the truck bed. I think they should have lined that also because when the gate is down that part is exposed. There could be clearance issues with it, but I think it could be done.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:20 PM
jkinger,
I too have a factory spray in liner. Do you know what the small exposed hole in the tailgate is for? Everything else is coated. Looks like water and dirt could get into the inside of the tailgate.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:51 PM
I have a 2015 supercrew Black Lariat Fx4 with the appearance package. With the 5.0 Motor. I have to say the craftsmanship of everything inside the cab is complete luxury from the stitching on the steering wheel to the leather seats and and leather in the doors makes me dreamy- It feels as smooth as a truck of that price range should drive as you would expect(my leather is so soft . My Navigation screen hasn't been showing any fingerprints or hiccups or lags everything works in a very timely efficient functional manner. The gas mileage is not as great as the ecoboost but let me help you its still good. on road trips i get a good solid 20mpg and avg through town driving as the posted speed limits say(in texas its a little faster then other areas) was still giving me a good 17-18 mpg range. If I am stepping into the gas at a newly turned green light and it'll drop to about 15 mpg(ill come back to this). The off road experience is when the trucks suspension and handling really comes to life if you thought it drove nicely on the road off-road feels like a cloud extremely impressed with this new truck. As far as the bedliner I'm not a big fan of any spray ins (my personal opinion ) I like the Bed rug set up its more functional for my knees , i guess you could have both if u wanted but you would need to see how the adhesive would work on the spray liner to get the bed rug to attach down to it.

My vehicles before this truck
2014 Mustang Gt Premium manual ( i love having my room in the truck)
2013 f150 FX4 ( the new 15 out does every feeling of love i had for my 2013 in EVERY possible way on the functionality of the new truck.

the 2013 i had was a ECOboost. and ill be honest with you. if i was on a long stretch road trip the gas mpg was better in the ecoboost but it was literally not by much 21-22 range. As far as city and driving habits if you drive them both with a heavy foot YOU WILL FOR FACT end up worse in the ecoboost then you will the 5.0 setup because that turbo just drains the gas mileage when your heavy footing it I know this I've had both engines. Both engines are great btw. Im very happy with my v8 motor. I will be honest i kind of had my heart set on the ecoboost when i went to the lot to purchase mine they didn't have the color combo and package i wanted in stock of the ecoboost and as soon as i drove it , i drove the ecoboost to compare and I didn't think it was that big of a deal afterwards their is noticeable difference off the line take off but the response time before you hit that power is the same AND the ecoboost spun the tires and made a lil nose loosing traction thats because of the torque obviously but it was both pathetic compared to the 5.0 mustang i just game from ) so it didn't matter to me i felt there wasn't enough there in the ecoboost to be worth the wait. i drove off the lot and pretty sound and confident in my pickings. Im truly sorry for the bad grammar , if you would like any pics or any information just ask!!!!

-J

Old 05-12-2015, 07:55 PM
Have you rest the MPG calculator buy holding the OK button to get a new reading ? low 13 mpgs is expected if your squealing tires and punching into corners and straightaways i had an ecoboost and thats about the experience i had with mine but when i babied the throttle i got a good number out of it. hope this helps

Old 05-13-2015, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by bkool2323
jkinger,
I too have a factory spray in liner. Do you know what the small exposed hole in the tailgate is for? Everything else is coated. Looks like water and dirt could get into the inside of the tailgate.
I have no clue what it is for. I was thinking that the minute I dropped the tailgate for the first time. It almost looks like they missed a bolt. Next time I stop at the dealer I will ask them.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by 15Black4x4
Have you rest the MPG calculator buy holding the OK button to get a new reading ? low 13 mpgs is expected if your squealing tires and punching into corners and straightaways i had an ecoboost and thats about the experience i had with mine but when i babied the throttle i got a good number out of it. hope this helps
I did reset it on my second tank. I'm going to give it one more tank to see if the numbers improve.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Jkinger
I have no clue what it is for. I was thinking that the minute I dropped the tailgate for the first time. It almost looks like they missed a bolt. Next time I stop at the dealer I will ask them.
I believe it has something to do with the optional tail gate step.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by usedup
I believe it has something to do with the optional tail gate step.
I do not have the step. Just the hole. Called Ford, said take it to dealer. I will be only when I need service. So for now it is a mystery.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:52 AM
I do not have the step. Just the hole. Called Ford, said take it to dealer. I will be only when I need service. So for now it is a mystery.
I can stop up on my way to work one day. I will keep you posted.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:56 PM
I've got the hole but no tail gate step. If it's a problem get a small rubber grommet to plug it up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you own a 2015? If so, what is your experience to date??