2009 - 2014 F-150

Trailer Plugs Dead

Old 02-26-2017, 01:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Plugs Dead

Im looking at my daughters 2014 truck that has all terminals dead in both trailer plugs. All fuses for each of the circuit are good. The odds of all circuits failing is pretty remote but going over the schematics does not show any place the circuits are common other than the ground in the socket and it has continuity to chassis ground.Any ideas appreciated.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:20 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Hello, shopteach. I deleted the other thread you started on this subject since duplicate threads can lead to confusing responses that waste your time and/or money.

I have a 2014, and one thing you should check on is the wire connector at the back of the trailer plug. It is held in place by one side clip and if that is loose, the connector will not seat properly and you will not get power to either of the trailer plugs.

The easy way to test this is to simply grab the wire bundle at the back of the trailer plug and pull. If the connector comes off, you've found your problem. If it is secure, though, I confess I'm out of ideas. The stop/turn/battery/backup/running light circuits are all independently fused and the ONLY other thing that should kill them all would be a bad ground.

Good luck!

- Jack

Old 03-01-2017, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by shopteach
Im looking at my daughters 2014 truck that has all terminals dead in both trailer plugs. All fuses for each of the circuit are good. The odds of all circuits failing is pretty remote but going over the schematics does not show any place the circuits are common other than the ground in the socket and it has continuity to chassis ground.Any ideas appreciated.
check with the dealer. Most trucks are wired but lack a fuse that is under the hood in the fuse bay.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:18 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by RSTHD150
check with the dealer. Most trucks are wired but lack a fuse that is under the hood in the fuse bay.
I don't think that fuse (and associated relay that's also in the same box) are there for anything except the +12V trailer battery charging circuit. The OP says EVERYTHING is dead.

- Jack

Old 03-06-2017, 03:37 PM
Everything but the ground. He said that did have continuity. So that in my opinion would eliminate the loose plug idea. I don't think any are longer than the next. Check all the fuses because they are all fused besides the ground. Maybe it is solved with no response.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:22 PM
Global Moderator &

When I had the "plug problem" (I took it off to solder in some other wires) when it was plugged back in, some of the pins were intermittent. So, I had a good ground, but the other pins sometimes had power and sometimes didn't.

I had to use a tongue and groove pliers to seat that connection properly.

- Jack

Old 03-06-2017, 06:10 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by wfburton159
Everything but the ground. He said that did have continuity. So that in my opinion would eliminate the loose plug idea. I don't think any are longer than the next. Check all the fuses because they are all fused besides the ground. Maybe it is solved with no response.
The trailer ground is hardwired to the frame at the rear bumper, it does not go through the same wiring harness connector as do all of the other signals. The only thing that makes any sense is what J&J described, otherwise, there is NO other SINGLE thing that that can take out all active functions. It's a plug issue somewhere along the path, probably very near the bumper.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:59 PM
Problem solved! Wiring harness on the back of the trailer socket was loose enough to be intermittent. Required lots of force as well as dialectic grease.

Last edited by shopteach; 03-29-2017 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-30-2017, 12:09 AM
Global Moderator &

Cool! I think that is a design flaw in those connectors. They should not require so much force to seat properly. As I said, I had to squeeze them together with tongue and groove pliers.

- Jack

Old 03-30-2017, 08:38 AM
There is a locking tab that holds the connector onto the trailer plug. Is that locking tab functioning? Glad to see it was an easy fix. I removed mine one day and of course broke the locking tab off and it will not stay connected without that. So I installed some super black gasket maker to "glue" it in place.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:00 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by wfburton159
There is a locking tab that holds the connector onto the trailer plug. Is that locking tab functioning? Glad to see it was an easy fix. I removed mine one day and of course broke the locking tab off and it will not stay connected without that. So I installed some super black gasket maker to "glue" it in place.
That's a clever solution to the broken tab, sir!

I think shopteach had the same problem I had, which was applying enough force to the two parts to get the locking tab up over the "catch". Not having the strength of a 500# gorilla, I resorted to help from a tool.

After I got it back on, I worried about the locking tab breaking. Glad you figured out a "fix".

- Jack

Old 03-30-2017, 10:44 PM
I use super black gasket maker for everything. Great stuff!

Search this Thread