2009 - 2014 F-150

Electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical issues

Out of no where my tire pressure monitor fault light came on, then door ajar light. the traction control light was also on and couldn't be changed, and the dome light would not go on when the door was opened. the blinkers worked, however no light in the cabin signaled and no sound could be heard. next day the door ajar went away, but the brake light came on. that only lasted a day but the other issues remained. also, each time I released the brake I could hear a little clicking noise.

I took the truck to Ford dealer, and they said the diagnostic revealed that the module in the smart junction box was the issue, and it was "cheaper" to replace the whole box. After installing that I was informed only some of the issues were fixed, and now they determine I need to replace the instrument cluster as well! I'm not convinced I ever needed the smart junction box replaced. for those with similar issues, did just replacing the instrument cluster work??? Is it possible that if the instrument cluster was replaced before messing with the junction box that would have been all that was needed?

Old 01-19-2017, 08:29 PM
I am having this issue now with my 2010 STX. Did the cluster fix the problem?

Old 01-20-2017, 08:58 AM
Had it back for a week and so far so good. Still don't think I ever needed the junction box replaced.....

Old 01-20-2017, 10:16 PM
I think that may be my problem too. I read also it could be a wiring issue, but I seem to have a boat load of things not working over the course of a few days. Tpms warning, brake light, traction light, no dash lights, no turn signal lights in dash or tik tok, no key in ignition warning, no auto lock and possibly no a/c. I would have to have a load of wires cut for all this to be inop.
I was playing with the cluster reset button and the key in door open chime would not stop when the key was removed and the door was closed. It chimed like this for about a minute until I opened the door and reinserted the key.
I disconnected the battery and reconnected it but that did nothing.
I am told a new or used cluster has to be programmed by the dealer.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:47 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
It MIGHT be one of the junction boxes or modules but I suspect that there's water leak involved and that's what damaged the box or module. I would WANT to see what they took out and see if it shows signs of water or other damage. If there is a leak then the problem is going to reoccur.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:35 PM
I did have a water leak caused by a faulty aftermarket back window which I replaced. Water filled the harness trough under both door sills. I cleaned and dried it out. I may have to start there and see if there is a splice or some wiring issues. Also I am going to check the door wiring harness.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:41 AM
Loose connection at cluster. Problem solved.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:24 AM
I had that happen on a truck once. Everything electrical was acting processed. Ran a new ground wire from the battery straight to the engine block and it fixed everything. It was a bad ground connection