2009 - 2014 F-150

Weathertech MudFlaps with flare and OEM running board

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weathertech MudFlaps with flare and OEM running board

My brand-new to me 2013 FX4 SCREW has the OEM fender flare and running board.

I am interested in the weathertech no-drill mud-flaps but per their website (and others), the front ones wont work as the gap between the running board the rear edge of the front wheel well is less than 2".

Has anyone installed the weathertech front mud-flaps with the OEM flares and running board?

I believe the Weathertech part numbers would be:
Fender Flares (F-150): Yes
Running Boards (F-150): Running Boards more than 2" from the wheel well
Part Number: 110003-120003

Thanks.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:05 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi tw - I installed Front and Rear WeatherTech mud-flaps on my 2014 SCrew F-150 with OEM fender flares and the OEM retractable running boards. They fit perfectly and were not difficult to install.

Unfortunately, I did that about a year and a half ago and I don't have the part numbers for the fender flares now.

If you can't talk to someone at WeatherTech about the fit, you might look into Husky mud flaps. I think their products are every bit as good as WeatherTech's and they may be able to help you.

- Jack

Old 12-14-2016, 09:03 PM
Thanks.

I do have an email into WeatherTech. Might try their customer service. I like Husky but it looks like you have to drill and with the salt air here, I would rather not.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:31 PM
Global Moderator &

I just checked Husky's site, and, you're right. You DO have to drill at least one hole. So, that's not an option for you.

I went out and looked at my truck today, with the WeatherTech mud flaps on it and I have much more than 2" clearance between the rear of the wheel opening and the running board. If your boards are the "fixed" kind, I can see that you might have less clearance. But, it looks to me like you'd need no more than 1" to fit the mudflaps I have into place. I'm pretty sure the mudflaps for my model year truck would be the same as for your truck.

I'll be interested in learning what their customer service tells you.

- Jack

Old 12-15-2016, 07:21 PM
Jack:

Weathertech said it wont work as guards are too thick and will interfere with the tire... which throws me a bit.

Since I haven't had a chance to measure in daylight - I think my clearance from running board to wheel well is about 1&3/4".

If you get a chance, can you measure the thickness of the mudflap or how much of the body is covered by it.

WT did recommend checking out "autoanything.com" lol

Thanks!

Old 12-15-2016, 11:16 PM
Global Moderator &

Doesn't make sense to me that they'd interfere with the tire! I can see maybe that they might hit the running board before they were fully seated against the rear of the wheel opening.

I'll see what I can do to help you. DO remember that mine are on a 2014 truck, and are possibly not the same model (although I think they are).

I'll also look for the shipping receipt I got for them. I MAY have saved it. It would show the part number.

I'll get back to you tomorrow.

- Jack

Old 12-16-2016, 06:17 AM
Thanks!

No big hurry - just when you get a chance. I know everyone is busy this time of year.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:48 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the factory running boards and factory fender flares on my FX4 and the ford accessories molded splash guards fit and they are no drill on the front. The give you longer screws that go into existing holes to mount.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:04 PM
Global Moderator &

OK progress!

I found my shipping invoice and my mudflaps are the SAME as the ones you would order: Part #s 11003 (front) and 12003 (rear). So the design of the fender openings in our two trucks is identical.

I'm posting some pictures that may help you reach an "informed" decision.

The first is how the mudflap looks when installed (ignore the dirty truck). If you study it you can see that it kind of "wraps around" the fender flare near the bottom. This allows a no-drill installation that uses two "clamp like" devices that pull the flap up into the fender flare. I think it's also a nice looking design.

In the second, I've tried to show you the width of the fender flare. It's just under 2 3/4"

Now, the third picture shows where I think you might have fitment problems. There is about 1 1/4" of fender flare exposed behind the rear edge of the mudflap. I believe this is where your running board sits. If my math is right, the mudflap extends 1 1/2" behind the actual opening of the wheel well at that point. If you have 1 3/4" there, the mudflap should work.

Make sure you could return them if they DON'T work, and, you could always go with 05Red's suggestion of Genuine Ford mudflaps.

- Jack

Attached Thumbnails Weathertech MudFlaps with flare and OEM running board-mudflap.jpg   Weathertech MudFlaps with flare and OEM running board-flarewidth.jpg   Weathertech MudFlaps with flare and OEM running board-mudflap-bottom.jpg  
Old 12-16-2016, 09:53 PM
Great info Jack! Thanks! I'll be doing some measuring tomorrow...

05RedFX04 - thanks for that info. Are the rears drill?

Lots of good options - I do appreciate the feedback.

Will update with what I sort out tomorrow....

Old 12-17-2016, 09:08 AM

Don't know, I haven't installed them. I only needed the front. With out them the snow and slush gets packed into that gap between the step bar and the underside of the fender, the splash guard keeps it out of there.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:11 PM
So I measured the distance (in daylight this time) b/t the wheel well opening and the leading edge of the running board - 1.25" so I am not sure the WeatherTech ones will work.

05RedFX4 - these Ford Accessories say the molded flaps WONT work with the molded running boards. Mine running boards are the same as the ones in the blue truck in your signature.

https://accessories.ford.com/exterio...-4-pc-kit.html

Part No: 6L3Z-16A550-BA

Thanks again for the help guys...

Old 12-17-2016, 03:20 PM

If you have the same running boards as the ones in my pic then the ford flaps will fit. Make sure you get the set for 4wd with factory flares. The 4wd ones are a little longer in the back. The fronts are the same length.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:54 PM
Below are photos showing the entire running board and the gap between the front wheel well and the running board.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:56 AM
The Ford should work. I would say they are your best option for what you want to accomplish. I'm running 'old School" Cloud-Rider flaps. They requiring drilling to install. I'm fine with it as I sprayed the holes with zinc rich paint and coated all the fasteners with anti-seize before installation. Truck sees salt in the winter, just like previous ones and I haven't had a rust issue yet.