2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

dual battery set up f150 2010 xlt supercrew

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dual battery set up f150 2010 xlt supercrew

I want to add a dual battery set up but there's not much room. I have two 12" subs with a 1000 watt alpine amp. I want to add off-roading lights without draining the battery. Any thoughts on how to set it up with the model I have, pictures would be most appreciated!

Old 05-26-2016, 05:12 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Bigger (or dual) batteries aren't going to help much. You need a LOT bigger alternator! Do some research on this forum, we've been through this several times before.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by joe51
Bigger (or dual) batteries aren't going to help much. You need a LOT bigger alternator! Do some research on this forum, we've been through this several times before.

Dual batteries would certainly soften the blow to the alternator.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:11 PM
Hey Joe51,
How much bigger of an alternator do you think I need? I found this website out of two that offers high output alternators for my year.
http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/item...ckup-Truck.htm

Old 05-26-2016, 09:33 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul888
Dual batteries would certainly soften the blow to the alternator.
What the hell does "soften the blow" mean??? The alternator in the OP's truck doesn't have enough power to run the stock systems AND 1000 watts amplifier AND a bunch of lights. It's that simple! No amount of batteries is going to change that. Batteries are intended to provide SHORT term power for starting, etc. They're not designed or intended to provide continuous power, especially for things that are run continuously such as stereos and lights. Even a quick calculation (1000Watts/12 volts) will show that the stereo alone can draw over 80 Amps. No battery is going to run that for more than a few minutes, that's why he needs to go to a larger alternator.

OP, you need to calculate how much power your extra lights need. Then, if you're going to run both them at the same time, add the current draw of the stereo. If you're not going to run both at the same time, then pick the larger of those two values. Take which ever answer and add that to the maximum output of the standard alternator and that will tell you what size alternator you need to use. Yes, you can get by with a smaller one but it will be over worked and you may find your lights dimming and stereo not working properly and your battery being slowly killed from being frequently over discharged.

Quick Reply: dual battery set up f150 2010 xlt supercrew