2009 - 2014 F-150

2012 FX4 Ecoboost Limp Mode during acceleration

Old 05-02-2016, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2012 FX4 Ecoboost Limp Mode during acceleration

So I'm on the interstate going up the side of a mountain in TN. Go to accelerate past a tractor trailer and the truck starts shuttering, loss of power and check engine light is flashing. Got my wife and 5-month old in the car. Bricks are being s**t. Butt clench mode engaged.

After like 30 seconds it evens out and check engine light stops flashing. Tell my wife, "Hey type this into google. f150 ecoboost loss of power during acceleration and flashing check engine" A bazillion hits come up for a couple TSB with regards to Limp mode and the CAC describing exact problem. I figure no problem, I've got literally the most expensive ESP you can get on this truck (platinum $0 deductible + lighting addon).

Take it to my dealership. "Sorry sir, no codes and unfortunately we have to charge you for the diagnostic. I'm going to discount it though." So I end up paying $70 because they couldn't find the code for a known problem on this truck. It's even known that this problem doesn't always throw codes.

Same thing happened with the Advanced Trac (ironically that did end up getting fixed cuz it happen again right when I went to turn the truck on after service.)

These issues are getting ridiculous. What did you guys do to get this fixed?

Last edited by hohlraum; 05-02-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Condensation built up in the bottom of the intercooler and under hard acceleration the engine gets a shot of water. Drill a 1/16" hole at the lowest point of the driver side end tank on the intercooler. http://www.f150forum.com/f70/ecoboos...s-here-223824/
Depending on how many miles you have you may want to throw in a new set of Motorcraft SP534 spark plugs, they come pre-gapped @ .030". The older Ecoboost spark plugs came with wider gaps. The gaps are tighter on the newer trucks(should be .030"). They are easy to change. I've done a few so I can do it in under a half hour now. The hole and new plugs will work better than any TSB that FoMoCo has.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:22 AM
Unhappy

The idea of having to do stuff like this when I paid thousands of bucks for an ESP is more than a little disheartening.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The plugs aren't covered under the warranty so you would be on the hook for them any way you cut it. Good thing is they're cheap and super easy to do. Throw plug boots on the coils while you have them off. Figure on spending about $6/plug $2/boot and this will solve most misfire issues on an EcoBoost.

Ford has changed up several things to resolve the water in the CAC issue with varying results. However, most evolve changing the cooling capacity of the CAC and not for the better... The drill bit method is the best way to solve the problem but Ford can not suggest it because of environmental rules. It takes 5 minutes to do and you'll never have the problem again.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:53 PM
Definitely must be frustrating. At least it is a cheap and easy fix.

Make sure you replace the bottom boots and Use di-electric grease. It will make the removal easier next time as well as reduce the chance of carbon tracking.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 FX4 Ecoboost Limp Mode during acceleration