2009 - 2014 F-150

Wanting to buy newer EB or 5.0 F150

Old 02-10-2016, 01:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanting to buy newer EB or 5.0 F150

Its my second time posting here... I hope it's the right section! I currently own an 05 F150 4x4 with a 5.4 with 177,000 miles. Its a beast ! I have towed , haul and put it through the ringer. I have been wanting a crew cab for a while. The extended cab is just not practical in parking lots and it is a tight area back there. I have been wanting a newer F150 more so 2011 to 2013 models, I just cant seem to go RAM or toyota route and GM is not my thing when it comes to trucks. It has been my concern that the ecoboost has carbon build up issues on the intake valves and working at BMW with direct injected twin turbo straight 6 cyl , I have seen it many times. Its a pain to clean and its something I dont want to face out of warranty, on the other hand I know Ford has sold around 800k Ecoboost F150 and only a small margin have this problem . I have seen some ecoboost FX4 trucks with near or a little over 100k that I can afford. I've been thinking of going 5.0 route but the price difference is not that much from an ecoboost. I know some 5.0 have had some tensioner and oblong cylinder problems, while the EB has carbon, spark plug, and water on the charge cooler problems. Can you guys chime in and tell me your experience with your higher mileage EB or 5.0. I know I will be told to buy a truck with lower mileage.....but a truck is something that has too much of a depreciation and I expect a higher mileage 5.0 or EB to hold up or be better than my 5.4. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:09 AM
By the way my 5.4 had 110k on the clock when I bought it and it's still kickin !

Old 02-10-2016, 01:42 AM
The carbon issue is always possible on a direct injection motor, but there are now a few eco's out there with higher mileage and no issues. You can always run a catch can if you're concerned about it.

I say drive both and choose what you prefer. Both are good choices. I am very happy with my eco, the power is awesome. My uncle and buddy have 5.0's and they are very happy with them. My other buddy with a 5.0 (2011), isn't so happy as he threw #4 rod a few months ago. But he was happy up till then, and to be honest, I can't say he was a stickler for doing oil changes.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Look a few threads down about my 100k+ EB. A friend of mine is now on his second EB, he traded his first one in with ~230k on it. The few issues on the EB are easily fixed. A small drill bit will fix the water in the CAC problem and any boosted motor will be rough on plugs. But they're cheap and easy to do. That leaves the carbon issue. The jury is still out on if/how bad the DI Fords are. One thing to note is that the intake manifold on the EB has a split in the top of the plenum that will looks like it will let you get to the valves without putting the intake or heads.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:54 PM
Its nice to think that the valves are accessible without pulling the intake.....How about engine noise. My 5.4 sounds almost diesel like with the loud phasers and I sometimes turn it off during drive thru's..... are the EB's fairly quiet? I know its a truck but I would like it to be a little bit more "civilized" lol.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:25 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford truckman
Its nice to think that the valves are accessible without pulling the intake.....How about engine noise. My 5.4 sounds almost diesel like with the loud phasers and I sometimes turn it off during drive thru's..... are the EB's fairly quiet? I know its a truck but I would like it to be a little bit more "civilized" lol.
All the engines 2011 up are so quiet you can't hear them unless you get into the throttle.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:40 PM
With the hood closed and engine at idle the only thing I can hear when I'm outside the truck are the fuel injectors and HPFP and sometimes the fans. Otherwise it's hard to tell it's running. Inside with the windows up and everything else off at low engine speeds I need the tach to know if it's running.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:29 PM
It's nice to know the engines are quieter .....I will see if a newer F150 is in my future, after all Uncle Sam needs his cut! Reading through here ,I would prefer an EB because it's a tow monster! Although I don't think I will be doing much towing and even when I do it will be 8k at the most so I am sure a 5.0 would do fine as well . Thanks in advance guys and keep it coming if there some info I am missing out on.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:00 PM
Got it!!!!

It's nice to know the engines are quieter .....I will see if a newer F150 is in my future, after all Uncle Sam needs his cut! Reading through here ,I would prefer an EB because it's a tow monster! Although I don't think I will be doing much towing and even when I do it will be 8k at the most so I am sure a 5.0 would do fine as well . Thanks in advance guys and keep it coming if there some info I am missing out on.

Hey guys I went 5.0 . I got a very nice 2011 FX4 ,full leather interior with bed extender and tailgate step . Very nice soundtrack . Sterling gray super crew with Sony and leather seats . 127k on the odometer paid 21k . I know I'm going to get told its a ripoff but it was the cheapest fx4 in my area . I'm not paying 32k for an FX4 with 76k that's was just not in my budget plus I'm happy!

Old 02-21-2016, 10:00 PM
Awesome! post up some pics!

Old 02-22-2016, 11:03 AM
Actually, that's not really a bad price. These trucks hold their value.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:01 PM
I got no pictures but here is the link. I managed to work in a little on the price but overall it the nicest truck i have ever owned.

http://www.elkgroveford.com/details/...fw1ef2bkd12131

Old 02-22-2016, 06:47 PM
I got no pictures but here is the link. I managed to work in a little on the price but overall it the nicest truck i have ever owned.

http://www.elkgroveford.com/details/...fw1ef2bkd12131
Very nice! Looks like they went a bit crazy with the grease on the seats though!

Great color and package, it will serve you well!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wanting to buy newer EB or 5.0 F150