2009 - 2014 F-150

Tire pressure

Old 11-28-2015, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire pressure

I currently have cooper discover at3 all terrain tires. 275/65R18.. These tires call for 80psi, however many people have said that I should run them at 44psi. I know in the winter your psi is especially important so should I run them at a higher psi or not? I live in central Indiana where snow, ice and sub zero temps are common during the winter.. I'm born and raised is Charleston, south Carolina so these cd temps are new to me.. Thank you!

Old 11-28-2015, 04:58 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
If those are load range E tires, run them around 45 or so.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I ran load C at 45. I'd run those load E at 50 or so unloaded and raise the pressure when you haul/tow.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Do the TPMS sensors care what pressure they are at?

So say if I put on different load range tires on my truck, and had them jacked right up to 80 pounds, would my TPMS light haunt me? Or is it only when they are below 30 pounds?

Old 11-28-2015, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by ManualF150

So say if I put on different load range tires on my truck, and had them jacked right up to 80 pounds, would my TPMS light haunt me? Or is it only when they are below 30 pounds?
Manual,

The tpms on their trucks are slightly better then ours. However, on ours, it'll just let you know when they're too low. We have band sensors, and the newer trucks have sensors in the valve stems.

It varies by how much the tire can hold. for instance, an E rated tire would show low pressure light at a higher psi than a p metric tire.

A tire shop mistakenly put load E on once. The tpms light was on with those filled to 40 psi, but when they put load C on at the same psi, the light was off.

From personal experience, if these trucks didn't come with LT tires, there's no reason to use them. Lowers MPG's and the ride gets way more rough.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:02 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for the info!

Old 11-29-2015, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by ManualF150

There is no way for the sensors to be adjusted. They are set at about 25psi, noticed this on one of my new work trucks. Tire pressures are not "especially important during the winter time, they are important. If you maintain your pressures year round you will save the life of your tire by a long shot. It's important to address your pressures during the change of seasons as well as when you are going to be hauling. Buy yourself a tread gauge and track your tire wear. Ultimately that is the best way for you to know what psi will suit you best, there is not 1 all cure all for tire pressures.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by RSTHD150
There is no way for the sensors to be adjusted. They are set at about 25psi, noticed this on one of my new work trucks. Tire pressures are not "especially important during the winter time, they are important. If you maintain your pressures year round you will save the life of your tire by a long shot. It's important to address your pressures during the change of seasons as well as when you are going to be hauling. Buy yourself a tread gauge and track your tire wear. Ultimately that is the best way for you to know what psi will suit you best, there is not 1 all cure all for tire pressures.
I don't think they are set at about 25 psi. Some trucks come with p metics and some with LT. 25 psi would be much more drastic on an LT than a p metric.

I know with the ones on my 2008 (his are the same as mine) it threw the dash light at 40 psi with a load E but didn't throw the light with a load C at the same pressure.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
I don't think they are set at about 25 psi. Some trucks come with p metics and some with LT. 25 psi would be much more drastic on an LT than a p metric.

I know with the ones on my 2008 (his are the same as mine) it threw the dash light at 40 psi with a load E but didn't throw the light with a load C at the same pressure.
Yeah it it truck specific, not sure why I wrote that above. I run my tires at 53 front and 52 rear. I don't have much center wear on my tires, however I know I might be getting an alignment here soon as I did notice some inner wear on the tires.

It's not hard to get mileage out of these tires as long as you stay on top of your pressures. I've gotten 50,000 out of a set of sports car tires designed for 30,000.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire pressure