2009 - 2014 F-150

ABS Control Module

Old 10-12-2015, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS Control Module

So, I had the issue of brake and ABS light illuminated. They would not go off at all plus my 4WD Low eventually wouldn't go into gear because it was asking for me to slow below 3mph and I was actually sitting still.

I brought the truck to the dealership and had a scan done on the ABS system. They diagnosed the issue as the ABS control module because every time they powered it up it was blowing the fuse and they had ran a point to point on the harness to check for shorts also.

I wanted to save 500 bucks and bought an ABS control module ECU and installed. I looked at the truck owners manual and could not find the (ABS) fuse they claim was blowing.....in fact I can't find anything that eludes to an ABS fuse.

I need to know where to find this magical fuse as the issue is still present and also is there a procedure to program a new ECU for the truck or is it just plug and play?

When they listed control module would it have been a good idea to purchase the unit the ECU marries to?

Any help would be appreciated, hitting a point where I can't afford to keep throwing another 400 bucks a time at it.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I probably won't be much help, butt..................you need to post at the least the year of your truck so some one sharper than me can help.

Most of these, if not all, of these trucks have a "fuse box" inside the cab AND one under the hood.

I think member projectSHO has a link for a missing owner's manual.

Good luck.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by jgger
I probably won't be much help, butt..................you need to post at the least the year of your truck so some one sharper than me can help.

Most of these, if not all, of these trucks have a "fuse box" inside the cab AND one under the hood.

I think member projectSHO has a link for a missing owner's manual.

Good luck.

I got you, rookie mistake. It's a 2010, 5.4 liter, 4x4. I know where the fuse boxes are and I got the owners manual from the ford owner site but they still don't list an ABS system fuse. It must be listed as something else.

I actually miscommunicated....when the new ECU installed it did power up, I just last night pulled all fuses and they are intact. The ECU is allowing the check brake warning and 4wd low to engage again. My question is still which fuse is the fuse just for curious it's sake and if an ECU needs programmed once installed ior no.

Thank you for helping.

Last edited by aaron_kyboy; 10-13-2015 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 10-13-2015, 03:18 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Are you referring to the vehicle ECU or the ABS module?

Old 10-16-2015, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Are you referring to the vehicle ECU or the ABS module?
ABS module, it's a two part component the hydraulic pump side and the ECU side.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Arrow

The fuse locations (3) are in the BJB (Battery Junction Box).
  • F36 (30A) - hot at all times
  • F47 (60A) - hot at all times
  • F54 (05A) - hot in start or run
Found via Search Wiring Diagrams - 2010 Ford F-150 5.4 Brakes ABS (1st diagram)

Last edited by gDMJoe; 10-16-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by gDMJoe
The fuse locations (3) are in the BJB (Battery Junction Box).
  • F36 (30A) - hot at all times
  • F47 (60A) - hot at all times
  • F54 (05A) - hot in start or run
Found via Search Wiring Diagrams - 2010 Ford F-150 5.4 Brakes ABS (1st diagram)

Thank you. I will check this out now that I know what I am looking at. Will update soon.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:08 AM
Exclamation Getting Closer to the ABS fix

This is my update, I eventually took in for diagnostics because all the wiring checked out. No DTC's because of ABS control module was bad and no communication at all. Dealer wants 900+ for replacement. I assumed the Control Module was the computer side of the house so I found a replacement ABS control module computer for 376.00 from www.quirkparts.com they apparently have a lot of these ford ABS components directly from the Dearborn Plant in Michigan. I installed the computer on the Hydraulic Unit...Fairly easy, it was four screws but careful corrosion prone, I snapped one off in the Hydraulic unit. Three good ones still hold it firm. Started the truck back up still brake and ABS light on but.... good news is all the functions are working, the 4WD low is back in business, the instrument panel is yelling at me again to check the brake system and this gives me a good feeling that the problem is getting close to a fix. I just bought a new innova 3030g model scanner with ABS code capability from amazon.com for 39 bucks delivered to the door. DTC's off the reader show B1596 Service Continuous Memory, B2477 Module Configuration Failure and U2051 which I looked up and also relates to configuration failure. When an ABS module is replaced does it need to be reprogrammed, calibrated, etc.? If so, might be another dealer run.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:48 PM
Wrapping it up

Update, dealer reprogrammed for 45 bucks and total cost of repair for the bad ABS was apex 500 bucks, way better than 900+. Hope this helps someone else!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS Control Module